Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Questions regarding Ashwini Mudra and Mulabandha
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FranzW

Austria
3 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2018 :  3:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear Forum,

I wonder if there are "upper limits" regarding the practice of Ashwini mudra (number) and Mulabandha (duration). The question concerns only safety. Is it possible to do these exercises as long and as often as you want and as it feels good, or are there real upper limits?

Thank you in advance for your answers!

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2018 :  03:36:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Franz,

If we keep an eye on self-pace there are no upper limits on these two practices. This is not to say that we have to practice all day. But, if we have a structured daily practice we will notice, if we progress, that some practices become very subtle and will join us in other moments during the day too.

These lessons of Yogani might give you the insights you need.

Mulabandha www.aypsite.org/55.html

Sambhavi Mudra www.aypsite.org/56.html

Whole Body Mudra www.aypsite.org/212.html
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2018 :  09:27:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Franz,

The time limit is individual, you have to increase slowly and see how it goes. Particularly, it took me some time to notice that due to Mulabandha and the blocking method (pressing the perineum with fingers) to avoid ejaculation led me to Hemorrhoids. Once I recovered I tried again Mulabandha during about 1h and at the end of the session I was already experiensing the symptons again.

The cure was just the opposite of Mulabandha, create space in the perineum, i.e. squatting or taking your knees to your chest and breathing with your awareness in your perineum (and perhaps while massaging your perineum).
Perhaps you can add "the cure" for a minute or two after the session as prevention.

Just keep in mind that Mulabandha blocks the Prana going downward to perineum and legs, so I advice against applying it outside of the yoga session, since it is the opposite of grounding (energy going down from your body to earth).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000