Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Grounding questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2018 :  3:24:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I read a lot about grounding around here. It is about going for long walks, being in touch with earth, even cold showers and so on.

I would like to know if the aspects that usually are regarded as counterproductive to the process can be seen as grounding, too. I'm talking about
  • drinking alcohol (in moderation)
  • semen loss (sex, masturbation or whatever (in moderation))
  • eating a heavy diet etc.

Can these things be regarded as grounding when you are in a bit of an overload?

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  11:48:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Cato

Semen loss and eating heavier foods are means of managing energetic overload. No so with alcohol, which can be stimulating in small quantities and harmful if consumed to excess.

If you notice that you are overloading, you should also consider self-pacing your yoga practice. We all have different levels of sensitivity to practices. One size does not fit all.

All the best
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  2:55:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

Semen loss and eating heavier foods are means of managing energetic overload. No so with alcohol, which can be stimulating in small quantities and harmful if consumed to excess.

Interesting. I have never read semen loss as an advice to people with massive overload in other threads. Is there a reason this is not recommended?

You say alcohol is stimulating in small quantities and harmful if consumed to excess. Sounds just like the usual effects we know from alcohol. Does it mean it has no special relevance to AYP as long as you stick to moderate consumption?
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  3:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Cato
Interesting. I have never read semen loss as an advice to people with massive overload in other threads.

There are mentions of it. Maybe it's put the other way round most of the time, like this:
quote:
Originally posted by yogani
8. Is your sexual lifestyle affecting your symptoms? Are you aware that obsessively limiting sexual release can increase kundalini energy and symptoms?

Alcohol consumption does have relevance to advanced yoga practice. Many of us here who have been practicing for a number of years can no longer tolerate it, even in small quantities. Pretty much anything that interferes with nervous activity has an unpleasant effect and yogis begin to notice it sooner or later. If you don't notice unpleasant effects from drinking alcohol, then there is no reason to be harsh on yourself and cut it out completely (assuming that you do enjoy drinking a small amount every now and then). But don't use it as a method for managing energetic overload. It won't do anything of the sort.
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2021 :  9:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Is balancing yin and yang another term for grounding?
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2021 :  06:07:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The best form of grounding I have experienced is service to others. The moment I manage to "give away" all that excess energy to another(s), I stabilize for some days. It happens for example when I hug a troubled or grieving someone (it's not an act that I do intentionally but an outpour of compassion).

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2021 :  5:40:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Sey. Service to others is certainly one of the best ways and beneficial in many ways. I guess the question was kind of a language thing I stumbled across recently. Since yang is among other things seen as energizing and yin as calming, I wondered if gounding can be seen as the act of balancing these two. Yin yoga for example seems to have a grounding effect on many. I guess there are many yang aspects in our lives today. It's not really important, I was just wondering.
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2021 :  10:30:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cato, Your idea about yin/yang balance rings true to me. In my recent post about experiencing increasing ecstatic conductivity from a viral illness it clearly threw me out of balance, necessitating grounding. It does seem AYP is about finding that perfect balance via self pacing, e.g. riding the razor's edge. As we become more deeply connected with our inner energy, it seems to make some of us more sensitive to things that can throw off the balance

Edited by - interpaul on Jun 14 2021 11:26:03 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000