Member Announcements - Events, Classes & Retreats
 New AYP group meditation started
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  04:53:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi
Have just started a new AYP group meditation from my home. It has been received very well, the group energy is very powerful and the people want it every week.

It is in South Co Dublin if anyone out there is interested send me a message.

Louis

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  3:46:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful, Louis!
Great initiative

May the group grow.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  4:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations, Louis!

I'm sure Shanti and Sadhak can give you a few tips, having been at it for a while.

With best wishes to all in your new meditation group, and in meditation groups everywhere. The more the merrier!

The guru is in all of you.
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  10:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Louis,

Wonderful news. Do share your group experiences with us, if any; will help groups everywhere. BTW, if you find someone who wants to join your group, but can't make it to your place for any reason, you can ask them to join the group at their own place at the same time. I took this leaf from AYP, and it works well for one member here. Every single member who's been doing the practices for more than a month has given such good reports... I should call them amazing, really.

Your post here is galvanising me to herd in all the peripheral practitioners.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  08:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent Louis!!!!
Wish you and your group all the best..
Go to Top of Page

Babaly

USA
112 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  11:21:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Babaly's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sparkle,

Congrats!!

Where is it in south Dublin?? what town? I might like to visit sometime:-)

Namaste
Babaly
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  12:32:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all
Thanks everyone for your encouraging replies.

I am fortunate that when I mentioned it to a healer friend Mary, she liked the idea and got a couple of other people interested. They liked the first session so last I heard she had another four interested also. I mentioned it to a couple of people and they also want to come, so who knows where it will lead.
If AYP is this easy to sell, then look out world. It's early days yet however, I'll keep you posted.

Babaly the town is Stillorgan, if your over this way give me a call, and that of course applies to everyone

Louis

Edited by - Sparkle on Dec 03 2006 12:34:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2006 :  10:25:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A question for Yogani:
Some of my group have been doing meditations through the crown for years. I wonder about the effects of AYP practice if they continue with these crown practices. My advice to them would be to stop, but old habits die hard.
How big is the inherent danger here if the kundalini starts rising and they are continuing with their crown practices?
I know this is a very general question and probably varies from individual to individual, but what I need to ask myself is: Should I be teaching AYP practices to people whilst knowing they are also doing crown opening meditations?

Louis
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2006 :  2:34:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkle

A question for Yogani:
Some of my group have been doing meditations through the crown for years. I wonder about the effects of AYP practice if they continue with these crown practices. My advice to them would be to stop, but old habits die hard.
How big is the inherent danger here if the kundalini starts rising and they are continuing with their crown practices?
I know this is a very general question and probably varies from individual to individual, but what I need to ask myself is: Should I be teaching AYP practices to people whilst knowing they are also doing crown opening meditations?

Louis

Hi Louis:

I don't think AYP is going to exacerbate problems related to crown practices that others have been doing. If anything, doing deep meditation, spinal breathing and other AYP practices will help bring things to a head and provide the motivation for folks to find more balance in their practices. To hold off from deep meditation in such cases will only delay the inevitable. Don't forget, in addition to its stimulative effects, AYP has many cushions built in that offset the risks.

There are many who have come to AYP with a history of crown practices and the associated difficulties, and found understanding, relief and much better balance going forward. I think it is safe to assume that anyone who is doing crown practices who hasn't blown it out the top yet is going to find the same with AYP. Yes, their path will be accelerated, most likely with less severe dislocations than they would have experienced otherwise.

Regarding crown practices and related openings, we should not regard these things as the boogy man. Maybe that is my fault for offering so many cautions, to beginners especially (there have been so many unnecessary disasters). Still, the crown will open with the practices we have in AYP, and there are pointers in the lessons for exploring and expanding on that with relative safety. In the new book on Samyama, we are going to do some more with the crown, and go far beyond.

The AYP suggestion is not to avoid the crown under all circumstances. It is to undertake purification and opening in an order and a way that will provide for maximum progress with good comfort and safety. I think everyone is looking for that.

So I don't think anyone should be shielded from the AYP knowledge. It may be just what they need. With it, each person will be in a better position to determine how to proceed based on their own experiences. The rest is up to them.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2006 :  4:54:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that Yogani, it puts things nicely into perspective and is a measure of relief for me.

Louis
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  03:45:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to give an update on how the group has been going.

The group has been very solid meeting every week since the start. I was fortunate in that one of the members is an "organiser" and took on the role of getting more people involved and in fact we ended up in her house most of the time for the meditations. This took most of the setup work out of it for me, which was great because I am quite busy with work etc.
We now meet in a room in a local convent/school and also have the option of using the convent chapel for the meditation. We avail of the use of the chapel about half of the time, but find it akward sometimes because we do some exercises prior to the meditation and have discussions before and after.

We have an average of 4-5 people each week, with a maximum of eleven.

All of the regulars do not visit the internet and so are dependant on the weekly meetings to get updates. They have bought the first three books of the Enlightenment Series and so have those as a guide.

One of the things I have had to emphasise is that the weekly meetings are a support group for regular daily practice. This is important because a lot of people seem to be in the mode where they will come to a class or group once a week and that's it. A bit like being a Sunday catholic.
So in the group we have variations from individual to individual on how often they would practice.
Fortunately one of the girls is practicing every day and reports her progress back to the group. Naturally she is reporting back significent benefits and this spurs on the rest of the group. A bit like people reading this forum for inspiration.

A problem I am having now is in bringing in new people in an already established group.
This was not too difficult at the beginning but the core group is practicing Pranayama, Deep Meditation and Samyama. So bringing a beginner into this can be confusing for them and difficult for me to manage in a harmonious way.

I probably need to start an introductory series consisting of a number of weeks, probably 6 to 8 weeks, and if the person is ready they could join the main group, if not they could repeat the same introductory course.
Although I don't have a lot of time for this I am looking for ideas.

I am hoping at some stage that a couple of the core group would run the introductory groups. I am also thinking of charging for the introductory groups purely on the basis that a financial committment will attract a more focused approach resulting in more regular practice. The regular daily practice seems to be the most difficult aspect to sell.

So that's my update, if anyone has any ideas I would be grateful to hear them, or if anyone has questions I will do my best to answer them.

Peace
Louis
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  12:53:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Louis:

Sounds like terrific happenings there. Plowing new ground!

While it is only a matter of perspective, the "main" meditation group could be seen as the one open to the public, where anyone could walk in and sit and meditate with the group. That group would be only for meditation, discussion/satsang and snacks. That kind of "introductory group" can grow pretty large, providing a "wide gate" for the community. It is a great idea. The introductory group can serve for both public relations and meditation training, plus reviewing the broad system of practices, but not practicing beyond deep meditation in that group. Of course, the larger the group gets, the trickier it will be to manage.

Many years ago we used to run a similar group here, and once it got over 20 people, the dynamic changed -- there was much more spiritual power generated, and also a few flies started showing up in the ointment -- people who were there for the wrong reasons. Then more structure became necessary to keep the thing from spinning off on tangents. It takes some leadership and structure, which is somewhat opposed to the free-flowing nature of such gatherings. If left to their own devices, such gatherings tend to become unstable and fly apart, so some sort of structure has to be implemented.

The other group you mentioned (your current "main group") could continue to be for the fuller practice routine, open to those who have progressed and are interested in that. But it should not be considered to be a replacement for daily pracice, as you mention. For those who have gotten the daily practice part of it in place, the practice group could eventually lead into weekend retreats, and beyond. That is an area where we have information resources in place already -- see the first two topics in this forum.

Do keep us posted on how things develop. I'm sure many will benefit from your experiences as they consider starting and expanding their own groups.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  10:50:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
here's how my workout teacher handles a similar situation:
We do a "pro workout" each week that has basics, and continually additional material.

My workout teacher says he wants us each to know the subject matter well enough to teach it, in order to "give back" to the community. He has us take notes and write down each point of the techniques. Usually he has beginners doing an easy technique, and "vets" doing a harder one,
on opposite sides of the room.

Then sometimes he separates new students from regular students. He has the "vets" practice the more advanced routines together. Then he has one of the "vets" teach the group of "newbies" one technique they don't know yet. Teaching something also helps the vets solidify it in their mind, as far as covering all the details and knowing answers to FAQ's. it's been working very well.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  6:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani
Thanks for the ideas, the open group sounds like a good idea. In that way it would not be necessary to say to people that they must be prepared to do regular practice. This has proved to put some people off.

Last night there were only two of us (holidays etc), but in fact it was probably the most profound evening to date. At the beginning of the meditation we invited all our regulars and also all AYP practioners. During the meditation it felt like the room was really filled with people meditating. There is so much going on that I can't see and the more surrender there is the more it happens. It was so beautiful, thank you all.

So far I have left things to just happen and it has been working out. However I don't think that, on its own, is enough, there has to be some intention and desire and perhaps this and inner silence will cause things to happen. I still don't know how it will turn out but the opportunities hopefully will present themselves and hopefully I will be open enough to recognise them and go with the flow.

The seed of your above suggestion may germinate and take flower, it remains to be seen.
Thanks you.

Ether said:
quote:
My workout teacher says he wants us each to know the subject matter well enough to teach it

That is what I have in mind for the regulars in the present group, if its what they want.

At the beginning prior to meditation we could have someone taking new people aside and explaining different aspects of the practice whilst at the same time the more experienced group could be discussing other aspect and deciding on a structure for the meditation.
This might work but the two groups would probably meditate together.

What I have been doing with new people is getting them to do thirty minutes of mantra whilst the rest of us do ten minute pranayama and twenty of mantra. Don't know whether this is a good idea but at least it includes everyone.
With the inclusion of samyama this has become more difficult. And now that people have a taste of it they don't want to do without it

I wonder how it would work if we did just 20 minutes of mantra with new people. These people could then leave or lie down or something, and we could do a round of say 10 of pranayam, 10 of mantra and then samyama. What do you think?

Louis

Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  7:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad that you brought this subject up, Louis. I've been wanting to start a meditation group, without any urgency behind it, and am finally going to have a place to do it in about a month. Unlike you, I'm nervous about 'leading' a group, as I hardly feel like one to turn to for instruction in meditation. But my desire is larger than my fear, so it will be a good challenge. I've always heard that if you want to REALLY learn about something, you should teach it. :)

In thinking about how to handle the continual growth (one hopes!) of the group, I thought I'd invite newcomers to arrive a 1/2 hr. early every week, at which time I'd fill them in on the technique and answer any questions to the best of my ability. I'd also hand out Yogani's Deep Meditation book, which would answer most questions, and ask for a donation. Then when the core group arrives 30 min. later, the newcomers would be prepared to join in the spinal breathing and meditation with the rest of us.

Whaddya think? :)

I'm not keen on asking for donations, except for Yogani's books. If the group gets large enough that we need to find a larger space, then that would be a different matter. In truth, my motives for starting a group are purely selfish: I want to meditate with other people, and I want to stick to the AYP method. If there's someone in my area who'd be willing to start one instead, or do this with me, please contact me. I'm in Brooklyn, NY.

I have a concern about having the meeting in my home. I feel somewhat vulnerable. I don't want it to prevent me from moving ahead with the group, but my concern will initially keep me from advertising on Craig's List or other wide-open sources (such as this site!) Maybe once I become more comfortable with the group and have some regulars, I'll relax and be more willing to put the word out. Any thoughts on this anyone?
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  03:37:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Meg
quote:
Unlike you, I'm nervous about 'leading' a group
I know how you feel, I don't have that so much now but when I led my first groups some years ago I was a nervous reck particularly before the first ever class. I could'nt eat and was nausious - which is very unlike me. But all that made it even more rewarding when I faced it and went through it.

We meet at 7.30pm and would generally start the meditation at 8.00pm. It takes us that time to set up a few candles and incense or esential oil, do a few chi qong stretches and have some discussion.

I like your idea of inviting newbies early, even 15 minutes would probably be enough. Although this idea in "Irish Time" might be difficult (we are not known for our timekeeping)
In any case perhaps allocating 15 or 20 minutes for newcommers at the beginning is a solution and we could all share in the process of imparting the practice.

Most of the people in our group are not too flexible so as a rule we sit in chairs. Recently I brought along some meditation kneeling stools and one person brought one home to try it. Another person that joins us occasionally, sits in lotus. So we have a mixed bag there and probably always will.
When sitting on chairs we generally have a blanket over our knees and legs. This seems to have a nice effect on the meditation.

When starting this group I had mentioned the possibility to various people over a period of a few months. Then one day it clicked and a few people joined. So there has been no advertisement to date. this has been good since it has give us time to settle in and experiment and find our feet.

Meg, I think you will be delighted when you are up and running. The group energy is so beautiful, something to be relished each week.
Louis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000