Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Is jalandhara required for kumbhaka with kechari.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dinah shorter972

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2018 :  06:00:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
In another post Yogani has mentioned that jandhara is not used in AYP spinal breathing. This issue has puzzled me and perhaps it is from my Iyengar training, but in Iyengar style we were taught to always keeps the head down in sitting pranayama. I had internalized this so much that I had believed that this gave protection to the delicate mechanism of breathing. Now I am not so sure anymore and am a little puzzled. When I began practice with kechari mudra it felt that keeping the head down didn't feel right and so I changed my entire pranayama practice to dynamic jalandhara because it felt that this allowed more freedom of energy flow. Well now after 3 years of AYP I have been drawn to practice regular spinal breathing without the head movements and so at first kept the head down as in Iyengar till Yogani mentioned that AYP spinal breathing is not done that way. Well anyway, I now practice with my head up and balanced and it feels better and more light and open but I guess I am still seeking reassurance that this is the correct way to practice spinal breathing including retention of breath. the head is up as in meditation? yes? I guess it should be a clear yes or no asnwer but my practice is always evolving so I would like to know clearly and simply. right now my practice consists of 10 minutes spinal breathing, 5 or 10 minutes chin pump, 15 minutes mantra and have recently introduced the samyama.All of this is done in stage 3 kechari. In short, does kechari replace jalandhara?
This feels right but any clarity is appreciated

Edited by - dinah shorter972 on Aug 09 2018 06:01:47 AM

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2018 :  09:28:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum. Spinal breathing is separate. Read more in lesson 39/41. Dynamic Jalandara bandha involves stage 1 kechari. This is an optional practice that may or may not be done.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2018 :  2:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by dinah shorter972
Well now after 3 years of AYP I have been drawn to practice regular spinal breathing without the head movements

That is correct practice in AYP. We do not drop the chin during spinal breathing, nor during meditation. We hold the head in a comfortable position, not making any attempt to nudge it either up or down.

quote:
Originally posted by dinah shorter972
does kechari replace jalandhara?

No. They are different practices.
You may choose to include either or both, at the appropriate time, of course, in your yoga routine.
Jalandhara involves ketchari stage 1. That doesn't mean that, as you progress through stages 2,3 etc. of kechari, you have to stop doing jalandhara. It's your choice whether you continue to practice it or not. If you continue to practice it, you will of course use kechari stage 1 as part of the jalandhara procedure, as described in the lessons.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000