Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Feedback needed on modified practice routine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mandrake91

India
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2018 :  06:17:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all :)

Just wanted to get some feedback/guidance on my routine that I have been playing with over the past few months:

1. Surya namaskar (sun salutations) - 12 rounds (10 mins)
2. Rest (3-5 mins)
3. Spinal Breathing (10 mins) with the following included:
- siddhasana + shambhavi + khechari
- chin + root + abdominal lock with breath retention (2-3 secs) after both inhale and exhale
4. I AM meditation (20 mins)
5. Samyama (10 mins)
6. Rest (5 mins)

In addition, I do some light reading and exercise after my practice. Could you kindly shed some light on whether it would be wise to continue this for the long term? Is there any danger in combining the above mudras and bandhas with SBP instead of doing them separately? Any feedback would much appreciated. Thank you,

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2018 :  08:11:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mandrake,

Your practice looks fine. In AYP, it is recommended to use the locks with pranayama, for people who have reached that stage.

The only thing you are doing, which is not recommended practice, is to add the breath retentions into Spinal Breathing. With Spinal Breathing it is recommended to simply breath in and out deeply, without any retentions, unless retentions are happening spontaneously.

If you do want to add deliberate breath retentions to your practice, there are recommended ways of doing this in AYP. One is to add Yoni Mudra Kumbhaka to your practice. The other is to add Dynamic Jalandhara Bandha. These are both advanced level practices, so should only be added when you reach that point in the main lessons. Both of these practices can be added over time.

As to your question over whether it would be wise to continue this routine over the long term, that depends entirely on you and where you are in the process of awakening. It also depends on your level of sensitivity, which is something that can change over time. So, the advice would be to monitor your own progress and self-pace accordingly if needed.

Christi

Go to Top of Page

mandrake91

India
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2018 :  05:33:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi,

Thank you for the informative feedback; much appreciated :)
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2018 :  03:56:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear mandrake - my question would be when did you start AYP? It appears to be your first time in the forums which, of course, does not mean you have not been practicing for years. The routine you have mentioned is for someone who has been practicing for a few years already. If you have just started AYP some months ago, you are adding too many practices too fast.

Practice wisely

Sey
Go to Top of Page

mandrake91

India
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2018 :  10:35:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sey,

Thank you for your response. I have been meditating on and off for a few years now, but started AYP practices twice daily since the last 7-8 months. Part of the reason for posting was because I have been feeling a little strung out recently (unable to sleep), so I do agree with you that it might be time to cut back on some of the practices until things balance out again. I think I'm slowly starting to get addicted to how it makes me feel; this is literally the only thing that seems to have "clicked", so to speak.

Just recently I added on a few sets of high intensity exercise right after my practice to help ground some of this energy, but it definitely feels like they are in odds with each other, i.e. the physical workout seems to take away a lot of the peace and equanimity developed during practice. Might you have any suggestions on balancing these two, it would be most appreciated. Thanks again,

Edited by - mandrake91 on Apr 29 2018 10:36:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - May 03 2018 :  09:41:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
High intensity exercise doesn't always ground, but I understand. After adding SBP back in, sometimes, I just need to do about 10 jumping jacks randomly throughout the day. Longer endurance type activities may be better. Play with it and see.

Edited by - lalow33 on May 03 2018 10:27:06 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000