Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 The quality of intoning the matra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MichaelWinz

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  08:57:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All!

I'm Michael. I'm glad to be here. I've been practicing DM a week now and come from a long term mindfulness meditation
background. It's extremely different to say the least. I’m struck by how active DM is and the effect that it seems to
have on my brain and overall nervous system. When I start the practice, I get a distinct vibratory feeling in my head
that sometime goes down my spine. I’ve noticed that internal muck gets stirred up. Some of it is quite old material.
I really haven’t felt transcendent peace yet but can see how it’s possible. It’s interesting.

I have 3 questions:
1) When the mantra is ‘intoned’ internally, is it internally said or is it more like the striking of a meditation bowl? What I mean by that is when a meditation bowl is struck there is only one strike (mantra) and then the bowl (mantra) vibrates as opposed to the mechanical inner repetition of the mantra. Mostly I’ve used the mantra mechanically but sometimes it turns into a struck bowl vibration.

2) Was the mantra Ayam chosen because of it’s particular vibratory quality? I get the sense that it’s a gentle mantra. It’s exactly what I need, otherwise I’d be overwhelmed. Do you move on to other mantra’s as you mature in the practice? I’m jumping way ahead of myself but I am curious.

3) I’m following this sequence of practices and think it’s in alignment with the teachings but could you please give me feedback?

(4:30 AM)
1 On some days I do a 25 minute yin yoga practice prior to the other steps.
2 5 minutes of spinal breathing
3 15 - 20 minutes of DM (depending on how I felt yesterday)
4 5 minutes of mindfulness meditation. I added this for 2 reasons.
One to release the mantra and rest and secondly to bear witness to the internal muck that was stirred up by DM.
I’m curious if it’s advisable to do a formal short mindfulness practice.

(4:30 PM )
1 5 minutes of spinal breathing
2 20 minutes of DM
3 5 minutes of mindfulness meditation.

Any guidance you have would be greatly appreciated

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  09:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Michael,

Welcome to the forums.

In answer to your questions:

1. Repeat the mantra internally (not out loud) and mechanically to begin with. You may find after a while that the mantra begins to repeat automatically in the mind. Or that may not happen. It does not matter either way. If you find yourself thinking about how to intone the mantra, just treat that as any other thought, and easily favour the mantra instead.

2. Yes, the AYAM mantra was chosen for its particular vibration. There are enhancements to the basic mantra that are taken on further down the road, but you will get to those as you progress through the lessons.

3. Your routine looks fine. It is advisable to rest for a few minutes at the end of meditation, or even longer if you need to. This can be done sitting, or lying down. As you have noticed, it allows anything that has been stirred up, to settle down, before ending the session. There is no need to make any effort to be particularly mindful during this time. Just resting is enough. If you are mindful of what is happening within you and around you, during the rest period, that is fine too.

See lesson 13:

"Do this procedure for twenty minutes, and, then, with your eyes closed, take a few minutes to rest before you get up." [Yogani]

Christi

Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  10:08:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Michael, welcome to AYP!
Go to Top of Page

MichaelWinz

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  2:10:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Christi

I tend to overthink things. Thanks for bringing me back to the basics.

quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the forums.

In answer to your questions:

1. Repeat the mantra internally (not out loud) and mechanically to begin with. You may find after a while that the mantra begins to repeat automatically in the mind. Or that may not happen. It does not matter either way. If you find yourself thinking about how to intone the mantra, just treat that as any other thought, and easily favour the mantra instead.

2. Yes, the AYAM mantra was chosen for its particular vibration. There are enhancements to the basic mantra that are taken on further down the road, but you will get to those as you progress through the lessons.

3. Your routine looks fine. It is advisable to rest for a few minutes at the end of meditation, or even longer if you need to. This can be done sitting, or lying down. As you have noticed, it allows anything that has been stirred up, to settle down, before ending the session. There is no need to make any effort to be particularly mindful during this time. Just resting is enough. If you are mindful of what is happening within you and around you, during the rest period, that is fine too.

See lesson 13:

"Do this procedure for twenty minutes, and, then, with your eyes closed, take a few minutes to rest before you get up." [Yogani]

Christi

Go to Top of Page

MichaelWinz

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  2:13:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh one more question....

Christi mentioned that 'later in the lessons' with regard to my mantra question. I don't recall seeing that in the book. So - are the complete teachings in the lessons and not the book?
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  3:22:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Michael, welcome to AYP

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelWinz

Oh one more question....

Christi mentioned that 'later in the lessons' with regard to my mantra question. I don't recall seeing that in the book. So - are the complete teachings in the lessons and not the book?

The lesson available on this website are the same as the ones in the two volumes of "Easy Lessons". See lessons 116, 186, 188 and 369 for mantra enhancements.

Was there anything else in Christi's answer that you could not locate in the book?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  3:30:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Michael,

If you are referring to the book: "Deep Meditation: Pathway to Personal Freedom", then you are right, the mantra enhancements are not in there. That book is more of an introduction to meditation. The more advanced aspects of meditation are found in the main lessons and in the other Enlightenment Series books such as the one on Liberation.

The mantra enhancements are in the main lessons that BlueRC referred to above, and also in the books: Advanced Yoga Practices, Easy Lessons for Ecstatic Living, (Vols one and two). Those two books are essentially the Main and Tantra lessons printed out, with a few additions.

There is more on meditation in the lesson additions in the AYP Plus site.

Generally, it is a good idea to settle in with a mantra for quite some time, before taking on a mantra enhancement. "Quite some time" would be in the order of months or years.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

MichaelWinz

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  7:19:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Cristi. Hopefully I'll get there someday but for now there's so much to integrate. It could take a while :)

quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Michael,

If you are referring to the book: "Deep Meditation: Pathway to Personal Freedom", then you are right, the mantra enhancements are not in there. That book is more of an introduction to meditation. The more advanced aspects of meditation are found in the main lessons and in the other Enlightenment Series books such as the one on Liberation.

The mantra enhancements are in the main lessons that BlueRC referred to above, and also in the books: Advanced Yoga Practices, Easy Lessons for Ecstatic Living, (Vols one and two). Those two books are essentially the Main and Tantra lessons printed out, with a few additions.

There is more on meditation in the lesson additions in the AYP Plus site.

Generally, it is a good idea to settle in with a mantra for quite some time, before taking on a mantra enhancement. "Quite some time" would be in the order of months or years.

Christi

Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  8:56:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Michael!
Go to Top of Page

JJJ

43 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2018 :  05:38:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Christi
is it matter if I do mantra like. AYAMAYAMAYAM with short or no pause or with pause beetwen: like AYAM ( pause) AYAM AYAM, or maybe even AY AM AY AM - I assume that it does not matter, because it probably was mentioned if it matters but there are so many ways we can do this so it is confusing

sometime even I have temptation to do it like this : AAAAAYYYYAAAMMMMMMMM with lenghten the sound inside

so you see so many variations and all possible to do, so maybe CAn you suggest which one to choose for start?

Edited by - JJJ on Mar 05 2018 07:02:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2018 :  08:19:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JJJ,

There is a recording of the AYAM mantra by Yogani here:

https://www.aypsite.com/audio/downl...tra-base.mp3

The suggestion is to silently repeat the mantra in your mind, back-to-back, and let it go as it will. So there is no deliberate manipulation of the mantra and no deliberate pauses added.

There are no instructions given over how fast to repeat the mantra, or how slow, or what rythm and so on. This is deliberate. The mantra will find its own speed and rhythm over time as it refines naturally in the mind.

If you find yourself analysing how the mantra should be repeated, treat this as any other thought arising in the mind, and easily favour the mantra instead.

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000