Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Deep Meditation & Tremor Dominant Parkinson's...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

karunapod

Venezuela
2 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2018 :  3:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Yogani…It feels so wonderful to return to AYP!
The last time I communicated with you was at the end of 2012:
Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
Mantras: to change or not to change...
That was right at the point when this body-mind was being swiftly overtaken by the symptoms of Parkinson’s, which I chose to embrace fully without either drugs or surgery. This experience caused me to be bedridden from 2015 to 2017, and physically unable to talk for two years. Interesting “retreat”.

Late in 2017, I attracted an herb, Mucuna, in extract form and within 5 days I reclaimed 98% of my functionality. But the tremor has made it extremely difficult to sit. However, even though sitting for meditation is very difficult, the silence I wrote you about in 2012 has not been altered by this experience, and my sense of the infinite changeless space that I really am has deepened. For decades, I have regarded anything that happened to me, as a gift. My experience of the symptoms of Parkinson's has been no exception.

Two hours ago, I received a YouTube link from a friend…
a lecture by Dr. joe Diespenza.#8232;
https://youtu.be/1ro4y_e0tCI
At 19:30 there’s a five minute section of his talk that details a woman reducing her tremors by more than 90% with meditation only. For some reason, looking at this woman’s brain scans caused me to suddenly remember you.

Here’s my question.
Could you please suggest what you think might be the best way for me to re-enter the practice in a way that might support me with evolving beyond the need for the current challenges/limitations (Parkinson’s) that I'm experiencing?

If you need to ask me something before suggesting something,
please feel free to do so.

Thanks for all you be and do.

Karunapod

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2018 :  8:03:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karunapod:

Welcome back! Happy to hear you are finding improvement in your condition.

I do not know if AYP Deep Meditation will reduce Parkinson's tremors, but do know that it reliably cultivates abiding inner silence, the witness, so our sense of self gradually moves beyond any particular malady of the body.

As long as we can think, we can meditate, so tremors should not be a obstacle. See Lesson 13. We simply regard them as any thought or sensation that might come up during meditation and easily favor the mantra when we notice we have gone off it. Thoughts, sensations and movements can still be there as we meditate. As long as we easily favor the mantra, we are meditating, no matter what else may be going on. It is possible to engage in effective meditation in noisy places, on public transportation, and in situations where the body may be moving around a lot on its own. Due to purification and opening occurring within, it can sometimes happen during sittings with meditators who do not have Parkinson's. The procedure of meditation remains the same and works no matter what may be going on.

If movements and sensations become so much that we find it too difficult to return to the mantra when we notice we have gone off it, then we can apply the procedure in Lesson 15 for a time during our session.

It appears that your past practice of deep meditation, and the witness you cultivated then, have served you well during these challenging years. If you can resume daily meditation, and add structured samyama practice (Lesson 150) once your habit of daily meditation practice is stable, then your journey of rising inner silence can be greatly enhanced.

Whether this will reduce the tremors or not remains to be seen. But you will certainly be increasing your ability to weather the inevitable storms of outer life.

Wishing you all the best on your continuing path.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2018 :  10:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Presence Light

Algeria
26 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2020 :  08:08:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2020 :  08:00:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karunapod,

Welcome back! Great to hear that you are inspired to come back to the practices.

Before the pandemic, I used to teach chair yoga at a nursing home. One of the participants was a woman in her 80s with Parkinson. To my amazement, her tremors would stop during alternative nostril breathing and during the AYP meditation (we were doing only about 5 minutes of meditation). She noticed that, too, and she told me that she started to do these practices daily in her room, in bed.

I hope that the AYP practices will work for you, too. They certainly do transform the quality of our life. Wishing you the best
Go to Top of Page

jclone

United Arab Emirates
61 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2020 :  07:01:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000