Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Dropping into meditative states unintentionally
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lateralus

USA
59 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2017 :  06:53:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm finding that there will be moments when I suddenly stop moving and stare unblinkingly for minutes at a time unintentionally. Only when I realize it's happening I snap out of it.

If someone could help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2017 :  08:00:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i think we tend to do this anyway but when we practice we notice it ,of course this could be a self pacing issue
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2017 :  09:27:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely moments of oneness, sometimes we can notice we didn’t breath either.
Go to Top of Page

lateralus

USA
59 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2017 :  10:18:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Now that you mention it,when I snap out of it I need to take a deep breath in. It's happening quite frequently,does that mean I need to self pace? With this happening plus daily practice there's the possibility of going overboard. Self inquiry seems to have taken a life of it's own,lol.

Thank you

Edited by - lateralus on Oct 01 2017 10:35:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2017 :  10:47:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You only need to self pace if you notice imbalance, I see this not as imbalance do you?

Maybe we can call those moments samadhi or equanimity. We notice them when we come out. I would say good things are happening.

And just go on with daily practice....
Go to Top of Page

lateralus

USA
59 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2017 :  12:50:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Getting clarification when a new stage begins to arise helps me to keep things on the right track.

Thanks Charliedog.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
861 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2017 :  07:44:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lateralus,

Do these moments bother you? Do they interfere with your daily life? If they do, safe-pacing would be the way to go. If they don't, enjoy them, and keep going. They are signs that the inner silence you cultivate in meditation is transitioning from a temporary experience to a more base-line state. In time, you may notice the inner silence even as you move and talk. It is the very ground of being.

Good things are happening!

Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2017 :  11:04:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
...Just today I was at the store shopping groceries and caught myself looking in empty air, in some thought stream, mixed with silence for maybe 10-15 seconds. The more I think about it, the more I realize that this is happening naturally in my life fairly often here and there... It is a funny thing, because this is probably something quite common among "ordinary people"... They just don't think about it, not knowing what it is. As I have understood, this is the Witness, or Samadhi... It must be something like automatic yoga, something that the mind does from time to time as a spontaneous rest so to speak.

It is rarely a bother for me, if I watch a movie, I just "re-watch" what I did miss, or if I listen to someone talk, I ask them to repeat if I missed something important they were saying. Also, I might look a bit funny in the store, looking in empty space like that, but I think that people are too caught up in their own "problems" to really notice.

I have come to love these little moments hehe...

Edited by - colours on Oct 06 2017 11:14:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

lateralus

USA
59 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2017 :  12:57:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It didn't start happening unintentionally until a day or so before I created the post. It seemed to coincide with a self inquiry that came intuitively.The inquiry that started it was "who is the observer" then "what is the object being observed". This inquiry had me instantly realize that the observer and object observed were the same. There's only awareness,aware of itself,no objects.The act of observing always comes back to itself. Silence and emptiness. This is my first experience of there only being the Self,even when looking outward.

I intentionally continued the inquiry during the day to "test" what was found the first time,and every time it led to the same thing or samadhi.

The day before I posted this thread is when it started happening sporadically, without intention. Now that it's been a few days,there's less "sporadic un-intention" and more "settling in".

And it's absolutely enjoyable,no complaints.

Edited by - lateralus on Oct 06 2017 1:40:41 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000