New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2017 :  03:48:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
jusmail:

Thanks for the confirmation, I needed that. I think I have been looking for that understanding a long time, ever since Yogani made me realize that loosing one self in a stream of thought "has a special meaning" so to speak. It is easy to think in the beginning of practice that this is something to be avoided in practice, that it is about emptying your mind, but I see now that this is not the case. And it is liberating

Sometimes when reading or watching a movie, or listening to someone speak, you get lost in a thought stream for a few seconds and then realize it and go back with your attention to the movie or to the words of the one talking... I suppose this is the same kind of witnessing of thoughts as happening in meditation? I just think it is a interesting thing... And that is a question that comes up in my head :-p

I have been reviewing the lessons you wrote about, and thanks for the link to the forum thread as well.

Edited by - colours on Sep 23 2017 06:26:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Herb

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2017 :  04:53:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I found this thread fasinating and wanted to add my two cents. Since I now practise Christian contemplation, you may find some of my terms unusual, but try to keep an open mind because I meditate twice daily for half and hour each time and have been experiencing all the things talked about here regularely. Maybe I might get lucky and offer a fresh perspective or at least a different angle to look at this issue.

The reason that trying to explain Unitive consciousness with words is so difficult is that the English language is almost totally dualistic. It was developed by people who think dualistically, and who talk about "their" understanding of reality. I'll give you an example: "I see you." "I" being the seer, "see" being the act of seeing, and "you" being the object seen. Explaining seeing someone, or any object for that matter, with the English language will always be somewhat difficult for this reason. However, once you are experiencing Unitive consciousness, the experience of seeing objects is only unitive, because there is no seer or seeing. You are one with the object(s) seen.

The same thing goes for experience during sitting meditation with the eyes closed. To experience Unitive consciousness is totally non dual of course, but to try to explain it with our language, which is fundamentally dualistic, becomes very difficult. This is why it's better to just continue to practise, focusing on experience instead of knowledge.

"I encourage you, then, to make experience, not knowledge, your aim. Knowledge often leads to arrogance, but this humble loving feeling(of Union) never lies to you. Learning is work, but love is rest...Go forth and gently conquer, then. Be humble and passionate in this work. Persevere. Love never ends." The Cloud of Unknowing

Also I would like to add that I have noticed that, just before I experience Unitive consciousness, there is often a distinct sense of letting go or releasing, both mentally and physically, "into" the experience. With this in mind, let me give you a teaching that will help you grasp it:

Imagine a balloon the same size and shape as your body. Now imagine that the balloon is filled with salt water and that everything you are is in this salt water. Now imagine this balloon, that looks like you, being gently set into a vast ocean of pure water that represents God, and that He is welcoming you with great love and taking perfect care that you don't drown.

Because salt water is slightly heavier than pure water, you now begin to sink into this vast ocean of God. Once you are completely submerged and enveloped in this warm, loving God, imagine that this vast ocean streatches out in all directions with no limits or bounderies, infinitely.

Now begin to send out a loving intent towards God, and trust that He is sending His Divine love into you. As your love is going out and God's love is coming in, imagine that the membrane of your balloon is dissolving. Now, remembering the distinct "releasing" and "letting go," both mentally and physically, that I talked about above, that happens at the very moment of Unitive consciousness, let the love that you're sending out and that God is sending in, dissolve and finally rupture your balloon.

Once you realese into God, just enjoy the experience. Try not to immediately jump to labeling it or "thinking" about it. Just marinate in Unitive consciousness as long as you can. Notice the wonderful feeling of joy and freedom.

Once this beautiful experience is over, thank God from the bottom of your heart for allowing you to experience Oneness with Him. If you are an athiest or not ripe for this, it will simply be an intellectual exercise. But, this little teaching may help some who are seeking Union with God grasp what it feels like. Immediately after one particularly pure and powerful experience of Union, I asked God to help me explain what it is like to people, this teaching was His reply.

Because the English language is so fundamentally dualistic, silence alone is the perfect medium to experience and thus know what is here called Samadhi. But love is a big part of this experience. And so, afterwards, filled with all that Divine love, we naturally want to help others experience it. And there lies the problem. How can we explain an experience of non dual consciousness with a dualistic language?

Much love, Herb

Edited by - Herb on Jan 02 2018 7:50:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2017 :  06:50:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Herb

The only way to help others experience nuon-duality is by encouraging them to take up a meditation practice.
quote:
Originally posted by Herb
And so, filled with all that Divine love, we naturally want to help others experience it. And there lies the problem. How can we explain an experience of non dual consciousness with a dualistic language?

Words work - when they do work - because both the speaker and the listener are able to reference to the same (or at least similar enough) realities. I doubt you will ever be able to explain colour to somebody born blind. And you won't be able to convey the idea of non-duality to somebody who has never experienced it.

I believe most people who have began to awaken go through a stage when they are keen to share their experience with everyone. After a while, most come to the understanding that talking about their spiritual experiences will probably not have much of an impact (and can sometime even alienate others). It's OK, everyone is on a path. They are getting the messages they need to get, at the stage they are at.

Those who are advanced will understand you without words. There is recognition between the awakened that does not require any words to be spoken. For those who don't, volumes of theory will do nothing, but an ounce of practice can do a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2018 :  10:33:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll see you on the waves of that salty ocean, Herb.

(I have found that part of the joy of this path is to play with the words of duality in order to dissolve into the space of non-duality. It's that same old paradox. The perennial conundrum.)
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2018 :  11:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
colorurs,

It's just best to do the meditation. Please don't "try" to witness or remain a witness, etc.
Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2018 :  12:41:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
forget about samadhi. im sure the first time we all go into samadhi none of us were expecting it. you can go into samadhi everyday if you're willing. its no big deal samadhi. like for instance you may notice that the prana becomes so intense in the chest chakra area you're heart beat stops, but you wont be in samadhi. or you may find yourself doing pranayama without breathing for an extended period of time. samadhi is just another one of these things. its cool and all. enjoy it when it happens. but dont get caught up on it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000