Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 mulabandha clarification
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

makouda

France
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2017 :  08:19:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm reading lesson 55 of advanced yoga practice but I don't really get how to properly practice mulabandha "I'm not a native english so words can be confusing" . it's said
quote:
we lightly flex our anal sphincter muscle and hold it. that's it

1 - flex the anal muscle means contract it

2 - most importantly : we keep the anal muscle flexed during all Pranayama practice inhalation an exhalation or only in inhalation

Edited by - makouda on Aug 20 2017 08:19:43 AM

Christi

United Kingdom
4363 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2017 :  2:51:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Makouda,

1. Yes, flex means contract.
2. Different people use mulabandha in different ways. You can certainly hold it for the whole duration of pranayama. It can also be used for just part of your pranayama practice. It could also be used only on the inhale and released on exhale. This is something that people often find happening spontaneously as they practice and is caused by prana beginning to move. Technically, if the lock is being applied and released in a rhythmic fashion, the practice is referred to as ashvini mudra rather than as mulabandha.

See this lesson:

Lesson 119 - Some Other Approaches to Mulabandha

Christi

Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  02:14:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear makouda,

Welcome to the forums. Do note that we have french translations of many of the AYP lessons and booklets. The french version of the mulabandha can be found here:

https://www.aypsite.ch/lecon_055

Best of luck in your practices

Sey
Go to Top of Page

JJJ

43 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2020 :  07:28:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi
I have some questions about mulabandha:
- is flexing sphincer the same as contracting muscles for "stopping the poo" or "stopping the pee"? there is small difference in this flex
- can you share some additional tips for "pulling up above", this part is more tricky, i've found some description in the internet which actually says that :flexing the sphincer is like "stopping the poo" and pulling above like "stopping the pee" which makes whole mulabandha , but I don't think it is correct? I do it more intuivley which feels like "sucking anal sphincer" inside lower part of the spine which is also connected with slightly sucking in the belly
I just started to do mulabandha and I hope it will intuitively refine by its own during spinal breathing but is is always good to get some tips to do it properly

Edited by - JJJ on Sep 02 2020 07:37:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2020 :  08:01:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI JJJ
quote:
Originally posted by JJJ
- is flexing sphincter the same as contracting muscles for "stopping the poo" or "stopping the pee"?

You can think of muabandha as either of those, or both, or something in between. Whichever is easier to you. The muabandha contraction is a lot more subtle, so less defined (less easy to place). Any slight contraction in the perineum will be just fine.

After years of yoga, the mulabandha contraction feels to me a little higher up then either "stopping the poo" or "stopping the pee". I don't know how many yogis experience it in the same way.
The point is: don't get hang up on detail. Just think 'slight tightening of the perineum' and you got it.

All the best

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Sep 02 2020 08:05:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4363 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2020 :  10:17:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JJJ and BlueRC and all,

For men, there is quite a big difference between contracting the anal sphincter muscle ("stopping the poo") and contracting the urinary sphincter muscle ("stopping the pee"). The muscles are quite far apart, and energetically it would have a very different effect.

The advice given in the lessons is to contract the anal sphincter muscle and the muscles slightly above these in the pelvis/ lower abdominal region. See here:

"With mulabandha, we sit in pranayama like we always do. As we do, we lightly flex our anal sphincter muscle and hold it. That is, lightly. It is barely beyond the intention into the physical sensation. What we want to do is develop the habit of holding this light flex of the anal sphincter throughout our pranayama session. At the same time, while we do this, we lightly flex and pull up above the flexed anal sphincter, through the pelvis, and into our lower belly. There will be little physical movement, just a little beyond the intention, just enough to create a physical habit with. Later on, just the slightest intention will be enough to send sexual energy flying upward." [Yogani]

As BlueRC says, at some point the practice becomes automatic, and then there is no need to worry about which muscles are being used.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

JJJ

43 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2020 :  12:10:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
BlueRaincoat, Christi
Thank you for your help as always. now it's much more clear for me. it's a clunky stage for me especially with pulling up part but I have this feeling that it will refine quickly and will come naturaly as you mentioned.
All the best
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2020 :  12:45:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi
The advice given in the lessons is to contract the anal sphincter muscle and the muscles slightly above these in the pelvis/ lower abdominal region.

oops! I've been caught unprepared. Thank you for correcting me Christi.
The fact is mulabandha sort of happened here, after I started meditating. I must have read the lesson, but I didn't actually apply it. The contraction just appeared and it is where it is. Which makes me a poor teacher, because i don't know what it's like to practice it from scratch...

Anyway, JJJ has got the right advice now
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4363 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2020 :  1:26:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000