AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Hobbies/Interests?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2017 :  9:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've always been curious and never thought to ask about your hobbies/interests. It's always fun to hear what people do besides their sadhana...

I'll start... I'm pretty active and love doing outdoorsy things. Tennis is my favorite sport and I enjoy skiing, snowboarding, hiking, biking and playing soccer with my kids, even white water rafting and camping I enjoy. I used to be a real thrill seeker and opted for things like skydiving but not anymore in my old age of 38! I'd like to learn to surf and enjoy sculpting with clay, dancing and watching good movies.
I really dislike TV and I limit my kids a lot with it. Although I get a lot of slack for living in a hole and I know its a weak point for me I actually rarely watch the News (I get nightmares when I do) or dabble much in politics. My work life can be very serious sometimes, often dealing with severe client traumas (brutal assaults, sexual abuse, death, suicidal threats, etc) so outside of work I've learned I've had to keep my life as light, non dramatic and as fun as possible when I can.
I like to talk on phone with close girlfriends and I love to travel to interesting places internationally. I'm your classic Vata!
Disclaimer: I run late to a lot of activities, can be stubborn and controlling at times to name a few! That's Chard in a nutshell!

Ok who's next?! I'm on a 37 hr car ride so please entertain me!! Lol!!

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2017 :  01:47:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Your "old age of 38"?! LOL, just wait until you're 54!

I enjoy surfing, gardening including landscape design and growing organic veggies, horseback riding, ballet/ modern dance and singing classic rock and metal at karaoke. I also enjoy interior design and watching renovation projects on HGTV, as well as documentaries, science and and sci-fi shows. I cringe watching the news but try to do it at least a little bit so as to remain informed as to what is happening in our increasingly crazy world. I refuse to watch "cops & robbers," murder mysteries, or other nasty/ violent shows, or horror movies, as I tend to have vivid nightmares if I do. I hope you had a good car ride!
Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2017 :  02:11:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well mine I love cooking,playing with my dog,travelling,used to collect coins of nations and watch some reality shows..love travelling in nature
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2017 :  11:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I like reading, gardening, swimming, cookouts, going to the movies, shooting hoops, driving at dusk. I like science, talking to my kids, music, etc.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2017 :  1:36:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I added this. I'm working on a peace march in my small town. Seriously, it could be a one woman thing, which is fine. I'll be the weirdo holding up a sign. If this isn't appropriate, delete it.
Go to Top of Page

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2017 :  2:53:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So cool! I love this thread and thx for the entertainment lol!! Love it

Hi Radharani, you're a spring chicken, ...as am I! Lol! I agree about violent images...I can bear bits of the News if it's spoon fed to me without the images! I too love gardening, horseback riding and I get my regular dose of home renovation as my husband is a home designer and home flipper so I've acquired an appreciation for home design and quality of workmanship. Thx for sharing R!

Hi Vijikr! That's a cool hobby of coin collecting. I bet people in your life can appreciate the fact that you like to cook. I enjoy cooking when I'm cooking with others and chatting.

Hi Lalow33, I like swimming too and that's something fun to do with kids as well and cookouts great too!

Thx all for sharing!! Love to hear more!!
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2017 :  4:09:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Chard,
I have to go to the town board in 2 weeks. Wish me luck! It sucks, and I'm scared.

Edited by - lalow33 on Aug 16 2017 4:39:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2017 :  9:28:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I like searching for gnomes and elven creatures.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2017 :  02:16:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This thread has suddenly made me realize I no longer have a hobby. I am consumed by ThaT. I used to love reading a wide variety of literature but now if it is not about the spiritual journey, it seems a waste of time. I used to love intellectual debates about anything and everything under the sun - Now, if I am not talking about ThaT, it is a waste of words. Luckily, I have a highly engaging job. Whatever I do - such as starting a fern garden; 2x weekly walking uphill through a dense forest - is an extension of That (a way of grounding). Everything I do (except my work) revolves around my spiritual practice. And that is probably not a good thing??

Sey

Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2017 :  04:48:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly the same here, I became practice, even the work (teaching yoga)......
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2017 :  12:17:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree

I like searching for gnomes and elven creatures.

I can send faeries your way. I found them.

Edited by - lalow33 on Aug 17 2017 12:25:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2017 :  2:07:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Please do. Much obliged.
Go to Top of Page

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2017 :  3:37:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lalow33, best I can tell you re your peace march is to write description and promote it on Facebook (boost the posting) or Instagram to get some attendees. Wishing you much success!

BodhiTree, when you find those gnomes and elven creatures send em our way! My kids love gnomes!! Haha!

Sey/Charliedog, I can totally identify with what you said. My spiritual yearning is so great at times too that I often feel just done with all the Earthly games like I realize that it's not about finding fulfillment out there -and just the feeling of I could take it or leave it all... just the yearning for everything I do to to somehow be spiritual service.

On another note, having children has required that I remember how to play, which is a wonderful grounding and balancing influence. I take life so much less seriously now, play and laugh a lot more. I'm reminded that "recreation" is about "re-creating" our energy. Tennis is one thing I love to do for recreation and I find if I can play just an hour a week then I'm functioning from my best self. So, essentially hobbies/recreation support our spiritual life.

Blessings to you all! Last day on the road and first day of new chapter in my life in CA!!
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2017 :  3:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
playing practicing the bansuri a bit of cycling reading the gita, brahma sutra ,listening to pandit jasraj.cooking for the family
Go to Top of Page

Nirguna

Australia
57 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2017 :  06:36:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I love music. I play oud (arabic lute) and learning riqq (middle eastern tamburine). Studying Osteopathy 2nd year. Love marital arts (bit old for that but keeping my body very fit). I go to India often and like to spend time there. AYP is serious thing for me. Not hobby anymore. Getting professional
Go to Top of Page

jclone

United Arab Emirates
61 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2017 :  10:11:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My life revolves around my family and work. I love doing stuff for my family and work. I regularly cook and bake for them. I love to satisfy their tastes and tummy. I literally go to the grocery store every other day.
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2017 :  11:15:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoy ordinary, grounding things... I like practical things, I like art like photography. I enjoy meditation, and yoga. I need both in balance... :)
Go to Top of Page

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2017 :  12:12:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So glad you all shared!! So fascinating to hear how ppl spend their days outside of meditation! I myself have recently gotten more into hiking and biking. It's wonderful to now live in a geographical place that reinforces healthy outdoor activities and to have hiking trails in my backyard! Thx everyone! Blessings! C
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000