Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Kechari mudra and muscle tension above the uvula
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AviC

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2017 :  4:45:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit AviC's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I've been working on developing kechari mudra for several years now. I can reliably get my tongue back behind my uvula and little higher. However, when I place my tongue behind the uvula, there is semi-circle of muscly tissue above and in front of the uvula. I haven't seen this on any of the anatomical diagrams or descriptions posted here. This muscle feels quite tight and a little tender. When I gently press my tongue upwards and forwards, the muscle tightens up, which blocks further progress and creates a bit of pain (the pain goes away immediately afterwards so I don't think I'm causing any injury).

Has anybody experienced anything like this? Does anybody know what the name of this muscle this might be? Do I just need to stretch my tongue further back to get around it or is there a yogic way to release the tension here?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

AviC

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2017 :  6:35:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit AviC's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was just re-reading lesson 108, and found this description: "The soft palate has an elastic tendon running across the back edge. When the tip of the tongue gets behind it for the first time, the elastic tendon can slip quickly around the bottom of the tongue as though grabbing it. Then the tongue is suddenly in the nasal pharynx and touching the edge of the nasal septum for the first time."

So what I'm feeling must be that elastic tendon, but I've not been able to slip my tongue behind it. Is there any way to stretch or relax this tendon or should I just focus on stretching my tongue more to go over it?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000