Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Internal Hum. Is this OM?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SimonD

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2017 :  7:38:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Since starting doing the mantra I have developed a stronger and stronger internal Hum. I can hear it clearly as I am writing this now. Its very loud at the moment. I can overlay the mantra on top of it but if I follow the Hum instead I go deeper quicker and more easily for longer. If I block my ears its not the same, it needs to be quiet and I need the ecstatic energy which I seem to have in abundance with or without pranayama for it to be apparent.
So is this a blessing or a distraction and should I now follow this instead? It certainly feels right and it allows me to stop my thoughts. I don't think I have tinnitus as its only there when I look for it and I know that Buddha recommended listening internally as one of the best techniques.

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2017 :  9:37:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SimonD,

The procedure of DM is to easily favor the mantra over any sounds. Everything else is considered scenery.

Go to Top of Page

SimonD

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2017 :  01:50:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you know if this internal Hum is common? I thought scenery was the transitional effects which come and go but this Hum is extremely insistent and always there now when I am in a mediative state of mind so its more than just just passing scenery its become the whole experience.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2017 :  07:36:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. How do you know the Hum will not pass? The 20 mins of DM is strictly for the simple procedure. Hence, the advice to come back to the mantra when we realize we are off of it, even when we are in stillness.If it's difficult to come back to the mantra then wait till you are able to do so.

Outside of sitting practices, we can enjoy blaring sounds or bone melting ecstacy.
Of course we self-pace if these things makes it difficult to take care of our daily responsibilites or there are signs of overload.

In the end, it's the simplicity of Beingness.

Edited by - sunyata on Jul 22 2017 07:51:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

SimonD

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2017 :  09:06:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Will the Hum pass? Well Its available to me now whenever its quiet. I can even hear it when my wife is yattering away now as I write this. I seem to remember having something similar yonks ago ....maybe 38 years ago when I was practicing stopping my mind in order to step out into the astral body. At the time I could go into a cataleptic trance with my eyes open and separate out. I think the internal Hum which has returned started back then after I had an experience floating above the bed with the sound of a million volts short circuiting and this donut of energy moving up and down my body which looked like it was made from dots of light. I stopped shortly after that experience as I did not know where to go from there. It did give me the validation I was looking for however.
I understand what you are saying with regard to going back to the mantra, but I would still like to hear from anyone who has experience with this internal sound as I can't help thinking that it is important.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2017 :  09:48:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is the sound of the universe. Experiences come and go. How much can we love and be love may be the invitation here. But, I understand the mind wants answers. I'll let others chime in.

Edited by - sunyata on Jul 22 2017 09:48:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2017 :  10:57:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Simon
quote:
Originally posted by SimonD

Do you know if this internal Hum is common?

Yes, it is common, but it is not necessarily constant. As strong as you hear it now, there is no guarantee you will always tune into it immediately. There may be times when the inner sound is less distinct. Then there may be wasted time at the beginning of your meditations, looking for the sound and not being able to pick it up.

Some meditation methods cultivate this sound and rely on it as a meditation object. When I came to AYP, my meditations were centered on this sound. It took many months to replace it with the I AM mantra.

It is your choice whether you practice AYP or switch to meditating on the inner sound. One thing I would point out to you is this: it is the I AM meditation that brought you this far.

Best wishes
Go to Top of Page

SimonD

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2017 :  7:07:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BlueRaincoat,
Thanks for the heads up on that. Do you still get this noise now? Do you just ignore it until it disappears (if it does) or do you just overlay your mantra on top of it?
When doing the mantra including the first set of additions I often struggled to do 20 minutes as time went so slowly whereas following the sound was effortless and time wizzed by. You can therefore see why it has me enthralled at the moment!
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2017 :  03:24:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I hear several sounds (different pitches). They come and go at random times and they are not longer associated with meditation. I guess the mind has lost that conditioning. During mantra meditation, if a sound comes up, it's in the background, no longer mixed with the mantra (whereas when I switched to mantra meditation I went through a phase when the mantra was modulating the inner sound).

All the best
Go to Top of Page

SimonD

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2017 :  07:45:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am now using the inner sound (Nada) with my pranayama and breath retention leaving the deep meditation free for the mantra though their is a degree of overlay.
Go to Top of Page

saurabh88

India
23 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2017 :  06:54:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
this is the aum sound and it will be more and more subtle and change its charachter more you meditate.
this is the milestone.when we walk on the path of meditation this is the light that make us sure that we are on the right track.it will be always there.less in activity and more in silence..
continue your practice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000