Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Pranayama and timing of locks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SimonD

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - May 23 2017 :  08:46:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
When I am practicing pranayama, should I pull in my diaphram etc before or after I reach the 3rd eye (top of in breath)? If done to early it feels more like reverse breathing (which I quite like and use when I am driving). Currently I lift the perinium etc at the start and draw everything else in only as I get towards the top of the breath and increase the locks further as I follow the slowed breath back down totaly emptying my lungs. Maybe it doesn't matter? I would however prefer to use the most effective method of timing.

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - May 23 2017 :  1:19:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum. If the locks are held in place during the in and out breath, it is known as moolabanda (root lock). If the lock is held at the in breath and released at the out breath, it is known as asvini mudra. Either way is fine.
Go to Top of Page

SimonD

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - May 23 2017 :  6:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not just talking about the root lock but all of the other ones moving up the body, which reduce your capacity to inhale air?
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - May 24 2017 :  01:47:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Which pranayama do you mean?
Go to Top of Page

SimonD

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - May 24 2017 :  2:49:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am talking about the uddiyana bandha abdominal block but also about what order all of the various types of locks should be used in relation to the top and bottom of the breath. I am now practising spinal breathing so it's within this method that I am trying to finesse the various tequniques.
I have been delighted with the improved energy balance that spinal breathing and deep meditation have provided as I had got extremely bored of getting my energy stuck in the end of my penis ..... now it's mostly in the lower dantien when it's not moving up and around on its own during the day. I just feel in in a quandary as to when apply this lock ie how close to the top of the breath as it effects the amount of air you can intake depending on when you apply it and there must be a perfect time?
Thanks for your interest and replies by the way!!#128521;
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4369 Posts

Posted - May 24 2017 :  5:09:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Simon,

Personally I use uddiyana bandha throughout the Spinal Breathing practice. It can be done this way by intermediate to advanced level practitioners. So mulabandha and uddiyana bandha are being used at the same time, throughout the practice.

This is also in keeping with the way they both work energetically for many people, when they are happening as automatic practices. Uddiyana bandha can be applied as a very gentle pulling in and up of the belly, which would hardly be noticeable by anyone watching, so there is no conflict with the air being drawn into the lungs.

The bandhas can be practiced in other ways too, so it is quite a personal thing. Some people like to apply and release them with the rise and fall of the breath and this can happen automatically as well. The most important thing is that what you are doing with the bandhas (and mudras if you are using them) should not distract from the process of tracing the spinal nerve with the attention.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2017 :  06:33:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I do both of these bandhas, but only spontaneously .. my mental activity is about tracing the sushumna.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000