Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Difficulties with Spinal Breathing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

azurikai

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2017 :  4:43:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit azurikai's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone!

I have recently purchased the Advanced Yoga Practices 1 book after a few years of yoga and meditative practices. Really enjoying it so far, getting back to the basics is great. I am learning a lot and realising my practice thus-far has been effective, but quite full of holes!

Pranayama is a completely new topic for me, especially with the introduction of the spinal breathing.

I have been doing the meditation for two weeks now, and felt ready to start with the pranayama for 5 minutes pre-meditation.

I have only practiced it for two days now, but just wanted to share my difficulties in attempt to feel a little more hopeful about my practice

When I breathe up and down my spinal tube, it feels like my attention jumps around and sticks places where I have back pain.

I am having a hard time visualising the entire journey. I am guessing this will come with time?

Also, I lose visualisation and feeling of my spinal tube when I get just about to where my pant line is in the back, I cannot seem to make it all the way to the coccyx.

Would love to hear from some people on their thoughts with everything, their experiences, and more.

Thank you very much and I look forward to your responses.

Namaste!

Christi

United Kingdom
4368 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2017 :  7:13:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Azurikai,

If you are finding that there are places where it is difficult to move through with your attention during Spinal Breathing, you can simply jump over them with your attention and continue up, or down depending on the direction that you were travelling in.

If you find that you get to the end of an inhalation and your attention is not yet at the point between the eye brows, you can simply jump there and then continue down with your next breath. The same goes for exhalation: If you have not reached the perineum with your attention at the end of an exhalation, then jump there and continue up with the next breath.

All of this can feel a bit strange at first, but it will soon smooth out and become quite easy and natural.

Christi

Moderator note: The discussion on an alternative form of pranayama has been moved to here.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2017 :  04:46:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Azurikai, welcome to AYP!

How are you getting on with SBP?

Many people find the visualising a bit challenging at first, but things should be getting smoother as the new practice beds in. As Christi pointed out, the techniques works even if you are only able to place your awareness at the ends of the spinal nerve - at the point between the eyebrows at the end of the in-breath, then at the root at the end of the out-breath. The rest will naturally follow in time.

The 'sticky' points where you have back issues should be treated like any other sensations during practices - we notice them and get back to the practice we are doing.

Enjoy your practice
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2017 :  06:41:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome azurikai,

You received great advices from Christi and BlueRaincoat.

I have nothing to add, just this, take all the time to get comfortable with every new step and enjoy the journey
Go to Top of Page

azurikai

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2017 :  1:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit azurikai's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi, BlueRaincoat, Charliedog...

Thank you all for your responses. I apologise for not getting back earlier, did not get any notifications and had not actively thought to check.

I think the biggest problem is I read about the Kechari Mudra, the Root Lock, the focusing on the 3rd eye, and the Ujjayi breath in my first reading. Since then, I am pushing myself too hard to do all four of these things when I have yet to establish a connection with my spine in a basic way.

I will continue to work on simple movements with the spinal energy, and not worry too much about the mudras, locks and breath until I get the basics to a strong level.

Thank you for the advice on how to find the areas of focus!

I will keep my daily 2x sitting going :)

Namaste
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4368 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2017 :  6:11:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000