Enlightenment Milestones
 What Goals on the Yogic Path?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jehudi

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  6:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm just starting with AYP.
And i find it is helpful to have a goal that i want to reach when i start something. Or perhaps a succession of goals that i will reach along the path to that goal.
So what would be the first goal a person could work towards in beginning the AYPractices?

For example: in fitness, my end goal would be to increase my weight from 130lbs to 150lbs via strength training. A succession of goals might be to: develop a workout routine and meal plan that i do weekly, then develop a consistent maintenance of that routine, make changes where necessary, and continue in my practice until i have reached 150lbs with a full-body symmetrical muscular physique.

But in regards to the path of Yoga. I dont even know what specific goal i want to reach? : Silent Mind, to Raise my Kundalini, to abide in everpresent bliss, to maintain undisturbed joy in all circumstances of life... these are some general goals. What about some kind of specific goal that can be attained in 3 months of practice.

I want to do these practices, but honestly i dont know why. I dont even really know what i can achieve and what would be best to shoot for. If i could think of a "Specific" goal that i want to attain it would be:
I want to be able to experience an entire 15 minute meditation session without a single thought occupying my concentration. to have a completely silent undisrupted mind during a 15 minute interval of meditation.
Then a "Succession of Goals" to that attainment would be:
to read the AYP Main Lessons, To Practice the Lessons twice a day AM and PM for the prescribed amount of time, to find my pace, And to apply the next phase of meditation when i reach a plataeu in my twice daily practice, to maintain this practice until i notice results, to continue practicing daily so that i increase the results.

What "Specific Goal" would y'all recommend?
What "Succession of Goals" would y'all recommend to attain that Specific Goal?

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  7:19:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum. Yoga and life together is a journey. Enjoy it. For a start read the AYP lessons. Apply the teachings. Soon your life will be transformed.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  9:45:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum, Jehudi!

Kudos to your fire for the Yogic Path!

This website has all you need, so just dive in.

Ease, Effortless, Grace, Patience, Faith, Consistence, Dedication, Bhakti are some of the words that describes this path.

With consistent twice daily practices, you'll be dancing in the space.

Enjoy your journey, it's the best part!

Love,
Sunyata

Edited by - sunyata on Feb 08 2017 9:47:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  9:55:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome, Jehudi (I love your name).

Personally, my goals have been to open my heart and mind, and to perfect unconditional love in my actions and relations with all beings. Being free (in general) and being free of fear have been goals as well.

However, as I progressed on my path, I began to see goals (even noble ones) as limiting thought concepts. Having goals served a good purpose at certain times; they helped to motivate me to practice twice daily. But at some point, all the thought concepts collapsed and something took over my life that was very spontaneous and free of ideas.

Those things did happen for me, but long after I let go of all goals, concepts, and expectations. I became guided by something beyond the mind.

quote:
Originally posted by Jehudi

I want to do these practices, but honestly i dont know why.

That's good enough, IMHO. Intuition or something within is calling you. I would trust that.

quote:

I want to be able to experience an entire 15 minute meditation session without a single thought occupying my concentration. to have a completely silent undisrupted mind during a 15 minute interval of meditation.

Well, this will keep you on the path for a VERY LONG time

You're doing great. Much love to you.

c
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  10:00:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What I forgot to say is that I don't find goals all that helpful on the yogic path. It will unfold in ways you never wanted or expected it to. And it will be a beautiful thing.

Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  10:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by cosmic

What I forgot to say is that I don't find goals all that helpful on the yogic path. It will unfold in ways you never wanted or expected it to. And it will be a beautiful thing.

Yes! Second this.

Just whirling with the divine remains.
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  03:35:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
for me it is to be continually reminded that we sit on the edge of galaxy with billions of suns and planets and from afar we dissapear into the exspanse of space whirling around and around that all forms are an exspression of the one and manifest when there own existence allows ,sometimes we fathom the truth of some of these forms including our own and a space opens up in the heart for understanding leading to humilty and wonder and an acceptance of the ever changing nature of everything ,intuition plays a part and also inclination and knowledge truth lies in everything as all lies in its own function and reality, sometimes its good to know other times its best left alone ,humour is good also and goal in its self ,...... i take my dog every morning for a walk his name is fetch the trouble is he does not know whether he is coming or going .
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  04:27:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
i take my dog every morning for a walk his name is fetch the trouble is he does not know whether he is coming or going .

Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  05:16:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Jehudi. Goals are a matter of personal choice, but generally speaking the goal is to experience increasing joy in daily life. Allow me to suggest you to avoid setting the goal of a totally silent mind during your 15' session - that is not an healthy approach to meditation at all, it would be more a kind of spiritual suicide. Wish you all the best.

Edit: spelling.

Edited by - Ecdyonurus on Feb 09 2017 06:29:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  07:56:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to AYP Jehudi
quote:
What "Specific Goal" would y'all recommend?
Keeping a steady daily routine of practice is the only goal I would recommend. Just make sure you get to your yoga seat every day, for the allotted time. Nothing else.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  12:40:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sunyata

Yes! Second this.

Just whirling with the divine remains.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000