Healthcare - Holistic and Modern
 Insomnia
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Herb

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2017 :  09:57:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
The last thread on this subject is an old one from 2014 and many repliers may no longer be here so I thought I'd start another one. Insomnia runs in my family and I've been suffering from it for years. I follow certain rules:
1) No napping during the day.
2) I get tons of exersize almost every day.
3) If I can't sleep I get up as I want to associate lying in bed with sleeping. I often go lie on the couch until I feel ready to sleep.
4) I take no medication, as all strong medication is unhealthy and addictive. And the strongest non-chemical sleeping pills that I have found all add sugar.
5) I do not drink coffee and have cut all refined sugar from my diet. This is a recent step that happened naturally after I started meditating
6) I go to bed and get up at about the same time every day.
7) I stay positive and have realized that my suffering is nothing compared to what many with more serious health problems deal with. My father has had insomnia most of his life and is a happy, healthy 92 years old!

Any advice to add to the above would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you all

Edited by - Herb on Jan 28 2017 6:28:19 PM

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2017 :  10:41:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if you have tried these. No harm in giving it a shot though:
1. Try hot showers before bed time.
2. Try amaroli (details in lesson 319)
3. Maybe around 6 months down the line if your meditation is stable without complications and if there is an inner urge, as you are trying to fall asleep, you can experiment with repeating the "who am I" phrase (details in lesson 351). Good luck with your trials and let us know the progress. Also just thinking if a change of mattress won't help things?
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2017 :  10:57:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Herb,
Some need less sleep then others? Do you feel tired during the day? Sometimes we believe we need many hours of sleep, but not everybody is the same in this. It can be the mind who says that we need the same.

When in bed and you can not sleep, you can practice cosmic samyama or bodyscan?

Just some ideas.

Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2017 :  11:37:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Two possible options:

1. Melatonin supplements
2. White noise/nature recordings
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2017 :  1:29:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Herb,

Good suggestions already. Here are few more suggestions.

1) Let's say your bed time is 10 p.m, start unwinding for the night at 9- unplug from the internet, TV.
2) Don't think of all the things you need to do the next day or the things you didn't accomplish that day.
3) Save conversations with family members for the next day.
4) Make a nice de caffeinated tea (eg. Chamomile tea).
5) Take a warm shower, give yourself a massage.
6) Essential oils.

quote:
If I can't sleep I get up as I want to associate lying in bed with sleeping. I often go lie on the couch until I feel ready to sleep.

The suggestion is to stop doing this. Once you are in bed, it's time to sleep. Just let the thoughts go by. Don't leave the bed and go to the couch,you'll fall asleep eventually.

Let us know how it goes.

Edited by - sunyata on Jan 25 2017 5:28:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Herb

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2017 :  1:58:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys. Just knowing that you care and want to help, helps. I will try whatever suggestions you give that wont bother my wife. She goes to bed early every night and can easily sleep till noon the next day.

When I get less than about 4 hours of sleep I do feel tired the next day and when I get more then that I feel refreashed. But I go to work no matter how little sleep I get. In other words, I don't let insomnia interfere in my ability to support my family. Also I have an active and full life outside of work. And, again, I stay positive and don't worry about it.

Does anyone know about that Yoga Nidra CD that was talked about on the other insomnia thread and why it might help with the inability to sleep? Thank you.

Edited by - Herb on Jan 25 2017 3:09:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Herb

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  10:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think Yoga is curing my insomnia! My brahmachayia as well as many of the other yamas and nyamas are providing the energy, all yoga practise is starting to give me much more self discipline than I had before, and these things are working synergistically. I work out and practice the first 7 limbs twice a day religiously. I am waking up at the right time to do all that before going to work every morning.

It's still too early to know for sure, but all the signs are showing that Yoga is solving the problem I think
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000