New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

soorya

India
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2017 :  05:52:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Blanche,

Sorry for a slightly lengthy post.

I went for a mid career b-school program 3 years ago, there was a session where one of the coaches guided a group of us through a visualisation technique where I would like to see myself 10 years from now.

All I could see was a "younger me" animatedly talking to an "older me" by a nice breezy sea side. The "older me" looked still and unperturbed by all the talking done by the younger one and had a certain glow, confidence, compassion and stability that I was blown away by it.

This kind of "seeing the things as they are" - without getting affected by it was what I realized I was aspiring for. A bit of an "AHA' moment.

In my daily living, I was a passionate, slightly over the top emotional individual (still am to a certain extent!) who was breezing through life rather compulsively. Worked well, but there was no inner silence, so to speak.

Meditation seemed to be the natural choice to progress on this path, and calm myself down a bit.

So the reason for starting meditaton was purely for practical reasons like "wellbeing" etc - and made a world of difference in the way I interact in my work and personal life. Infact, in the wordly sense, meditation has helped me achieve better success in work and personal life.

After reading AYP, I reflected further and got the clarity that the "older me" was more representing the Yogani's "abiding inner silence" and "stillness in action" - and reminded me of spirituality that I was aware of since childhood.

The ishta still remains the same - "seeing the things as they are" - and having a ball in life in whatever I do. And DM is helping me making the baby steps. Long way to go !
Go to Top of Page

Jayleno214

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2017 :  01:35:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I experienced repeated positively intense openings through Ecstasy/MDMA pills in high school, and I knew with absolute certainty that my being/body should/could be experiencing this, if not something similar without the drug So i spent about a year or two online searching and searching, and found some other 'mystic' and guru websites before this one.

the way these lessons are written, you can taste the peace and ecstatic-ness in the author, and i knew he understood me and where i wanted to go, not to mention the lessons took me there, hence whey i havent stopped 6+ years.

very valid question. i want the answer too. many of my family members could use the benefits (who wouldnt though right)and although ive disclosed my practice (some even said "i knew there was something to you that i couldnt figure out") and encouraged them to pursue it, they havent even tried once.
Go to Top of Page

Nirguna

Australia
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2017 :  10:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
BHAKTI!!!
And experiences, progress on the way. Following little crumbs along. First, preview what is about to come and then stabilising in that. If nothing new is happening for a while, then adding more to existing practice.... and so on....
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  08:35:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
I am happy to report that when asked how many meditated regularly, most of the people in the course (28 in total) raised their hands. This is a big change, as in September only a handful of people reported a regular meditation. Again, went through basic DM importance, explanations, and practice. At the end, besides the handout with the AYP website and other notes, everyone got a 10 week calendar, and a sheet with 40 stickers. They were invited to a 40 day meditation challenge. Thank you all for advice!
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  09:38:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
well done, Blanche!

By the way, I forgot to mention an aspect that in my case was and still is quite relevant: don't take meditation/spirituality too seriously, have a playful and open approach to it like a child would.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  3:20:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Blanche
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  9:47:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by soorya

Dear Blanche,
All I could see was a "younger me" animatedly talking to an "older me" by a nice breezy sea side. The "older me" looked still and unperturbed by all the talking done by the younger one and had a certain glow, confidence, compassion and stability that I was blown away by it.

Dear Soorya,
Thank you for the post. It looks like you got a first hand experience that "the guru is in you." You insight induced by the visualization went deep. What visualization exercise did you practice?
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  10:10:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jayleno214

the way these lessons are written, you can taste the peace and ecstatic-ness in the author, and i knew he understood me and where i wanted to go, not to mention the lessons took me there, hence whey i havent stopped 6+ years.

very valid question. i want the answer too. many of my family members could use the benefits (who wouldnt though right)and although ive disclosed my practice (some even said "i knew there was something to you that i couldnt figure out") and encouraged them to pursue it, they havent even tried once.

Hi Jayleno214,
You are very perceptive. Yes, just reading the AYP lessons could put one in a silent ecstatic state. We do resonate with the writer. You might discover that the same is true when you read other spiritual books.

As about getting others to engage in spiritual practices, it seems to depend on each person's own inner timetable. I offer advice and support only when I am asked. The people who are coming to the yoga course chose to do it on their own accord, so I would like to offer them as much support as possible for their yoga practice.

Some of my friends and relatives practice meditation and/or other yoga techniques. However, most of them are not interested in it, so I do not even talk about the subject.

Chances are that as you progress on the path, you will become an inspiration for the people around you, and you will attract others with similar interests. People need a certain clarity to take up DM.

Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  10:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Nirguna

BHAKTI!!!
And experiences, progress on the way. Following little crumbs along. First, preview what is about to come and then stabilising in that. If nothing new is happening for a while, then adding more to existing practice.... and so on....

Ah, Nirguna, where can I get some bhakti seeds to intoxicate everyone?
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  10:15:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ecdyonurus

By the way, I forgot to mention an aspect that in my case was and still is quite relevant: don't take meditation/spirituality too seriously, have a playful and open approach to it like a child would.

Good point, Ecdyonurus. A playful, easy attitude keeps everything flowing. And when the silence flows, that is bliss.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  10:17:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Charliedog
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  3:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi blanche,

For me, the 4 thoughts (i.e. impermanence)to reorient the mind as taught in dharmasun.org were very helpful.

Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2017 :  07:23:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Will Power,

Thank you for input. It is interesting how we get what we need.
Go to Top of Page

SuperTrouper

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2017 :  5:22:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When I started, I made the conscious choice to give yoga and meditation an earnest effort before writing it off. That quickly proved to me that training in attentional skills (whether insight or concentration) held the promise of something deeper that so many had written about, and I wanted to discover and experience the deeper promise for myself. This was after reading PY's autobiography of a yogi, still my absolute favorite book I've ever read.
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2017 :  8:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I mistranslated them. They are called the 4 Mind Changings.

quote:
Originally posted by Will Power

Hi blanche,

For me, the 4 thoughts (i.e. impermanence)to reorient the mind as taught in dharmasun.org were very helpful.

Go to Top of Page

soorya

India
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2017 :  10:38:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Dear Soorya,
Thank you for the post. It looks like you got a first hand experience that "the guru is in you." You insight induced by the visualization went deep. What visualization exercise did you practice?

quote:

Dear Soorya,

Dear Blanche,

The exercise was carried out by a professional coach for a group of people.

Thinking about it, I can't recall anything except that I went deep into it, and only thing I remember is the older me and younger me. I think it was a fairly simple guidance. Will get back if I get a better recall of the technique.

Many thanks for the encouragement.

Soorya
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2017 :  10:26:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Soorya,
Thank you for your answer.

Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2017 :  10:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Super Trouper,

Inspired by your and other people's testimony on the impact of spiritual books, I started to bring a new book to each class. Sometimes I make personal recommendations. Students seem to enjoy reading, and this creates another level of communication.
Thank you for your input!
Go to Top of Page

SimonD

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2017 :  11:56:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blanche,
For me it was the realisation that if I didnt get on with it now it might be to late to start at all (65 years old in a few months time) plus I was already doing 21 of each of the 5 Rites every morning after pre yoga yoga ...ha ha ...but true... I had sciatica bad only 2 years ago and need to keep supple for my windsurfing! My morning session often takes from 5.30am to 7.30 am but I find it hard to fit in an afternoon or evening session currently.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2017 :  10:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Two hours of yoga is quite a commitment. Have you thought of committing to something shorter? AYP keeps it to about an hour a day.
Go to Top of Page

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2017 :  5:34:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blanche! I began meditating in 2005 as if my life depended on it. I hit a bottom feeling like I had attained enough worldly things/achievements to see that I couldn't keep "chasing the carrot" to find fulfillment and I had to go inward...

In terms of helping others establish daily practice (per your original post) I think the creation of a sacred space for meditating is paramount. I encourage my clients to begin with 3-5 min daily of practice just to get the wheels churning...and emphasize importance of support and accountability. Hope that helps! You can also email me if you would like further suggestions Chard
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2017 :  07:14:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Chard! Thank you for your answer. My usual place of meditation is simple, and I find that I enjoy to meditate just about anywhere. My dog is addicted to my regular meditation place, she spends a lot of time there when I am not home.

Could you tell me more about how you created a "sacred space for meditation"? How do you foster accountability in new meditators? Any other tips would be appreciated, as I find that people who meditate do not need extra reasons to do it, while the ones who do not do it don't seem to respond much to reasons to meditate.

Blanche
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2017 :  1:53:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Blanche
My dog is addicted to my regular meditation place, she spends a lot of time there when I am not home.

She knows a good thing when she sees it
Go to Top of Page

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2017 :  5:08:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blanche! Good points... Through working with my clients I have learned that I can talk til I'm blue in the face about meditation but if they do not have the inward longing/fire to do it, it just won't stick overtime. I remember one of my meditation mentors telling me for years, "You've gotta go inward, you've got to meditate" yada yada yada and I would say, "Yeah yeah someday" and it wasn't until I hit an inward bottom that I was ready to do it. I've learned I cannot create that inward longing for someone else. It's either there or its not and I see it as just the grace of God the ones that have the blessing (curse lol!!) of diving inward! One line I love to tell my clients is: "You have not begun meditating until you've wept on your cushion."

So first I have clients do guided visualization to choose a meditation space in their home and visualize themselves meditating there. Once they've chosen their space, I have them declutter their space and sage it. I drive home the point of the fact that we are cutting down a path to tread on day after day, week after week, so alot of it is really just creating our physical space. I often go to clients homes to actually help them declutter and prepare their space. I share that as we meditate, there will be enough resistances to coming to getting on our cushion so we don't want the actual physical room/space to add to that. It's just getting the client up on the bicycle until they are pedaling on their own.

Then I encourage them to have items like a tissue box (alot of emotions come up as we know!), a meditation timer, earplugs (if others in household are loud), a box/tray with sacred spiritual items that they've gathered (stones, prayers, photos, poems), a zafu (buckwheat or kapok- I recommend buckwheat) and laminating paper so they can laminate prayers or poems (I laminated certain prayers years ago that I still have in my space).

I hope I'm not overloading you! Let me know if you'd like further support. I also support clients in meditating with their children.
Take care Blanche!
Chard

Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2017 :  07:43:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chard,

I will make sure to offer your suggestions regarding establishing a meditation space. Usually I only mention having a quiet place to practice without being interrupted. Some people might be inspired to set up the meditation place with pillows, yoga masters' photos, candles, incense, etc., but some people might want to keep it simple. Each of us has to find the line between a meditation place that inspires, and a place that becomes another attachment.

I agree with the need to declutter - which is actually a general need for most of houses and lives. Simplifying our space improves the quality of life.

Thanks again for your suggestions, Chard!
Blanche
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000