Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Subvocalization of mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Buu

Spain
42 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2016 :  1:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi..

How can I get over the subvocalization of the mantra?
I want to "think" it instead of just subvocalize it.
If I try to think the mantra, it's much "harder" than just subvocalizing it over and over in my head.. also subvocalization makes me more connected to the breathing and it's patterns.

Any suggestions?

Kind regards,
Buu.

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2017 :  09:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Buu

For how long have you been practising mantra meditation?

The sort of thing you describe usually refines by itself over time. Just do your mediation following the instructions in lesson 13. Analysing a lot or trying to make the mantra go a certain way is not usually productive. Just let it play. Easy does it.

Enjoy your practice
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2017 :  2:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

Just let it play.

Love that, Blue. That's the essence of easily favoring.
Go to Top of Page

Buu

Spain
42 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2017 :  1:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello.

Thank you for answering. I have been practicing it for about 6 months, give or take.
I'll keep on it and see how it evolves!

Kind regards,
Buu.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2017 :  4:21:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You're doing fine Buu. Yes, it will evolve
Go to Top of Page

Herbhornist

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2017 :  6:45:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've had the same issue, and it's just beginning to resolve itself after 9 months. I am just beginning to be able to let the yamma-yamma thoughts just be and listen to the mantra without trying to stop the thoughts. So now we have
1. The mantra
2. Thoughts about planning the day.
3. Thoughts about just letting the other thoughts be without stopping them.
4. "Listen to the mantra."
all at the same time. And I thought I couldn't multi-task.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2017 :  7:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Herbhornist

I've had the same issue, and it's just beginning to resolve itself after 9 months. I am just beginning to be able to let the yamma-yamma thoughts just be and listen to the mantra without trying to stop the thoughts. So now we have
1. The mantra
2. Thoughts about planning the day.
3. Thoughts about just letting the other thoughts be without stopping them.
4. "Listen to the mantra."
all at the same time. And I thought I couldn't multi-task.

Hi Herbhornist,

Having thoughts present at the same time as the mantra is not a problem.

The procedure for Deep Meditation is to favour the mantra with your attention. That means that 51% or more of the attention is with the mantra. Whenever you notice that this is not the case, you easily favour the mantra again with your attention again.

As long as you are doing this, thoughts being present is not an issue. Over time, you will experience the rising of inner silence as the mind comes to rest with the mantra.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2017 :  08:02:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As Blue said to Buu, I would suggest we all say to Herb, who seems to have a very active inner life these days. The thoughts may calm down or they may not, but the mantra is there, and you are returning to it when you can. It's a developmental procedure, so imperfections along the developmental path have to be accepted.

The fact that you see improvement is a sign that good things are happenning! And even after several years with DM and many years with ™ before that, I have sittings like you described. And it others, I have lots of inner silence. But I'm not sure any of these inner experiences are tangible metrics of progress. I think they just exist. And by meditating, we create a time interval in which they may come and they may go. In between we have the mantra.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000