AYPsite.org Forum
 Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 A parable from 101 Zen Stories
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2016 :  4:02:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
quote:
Buddha told a parable in sutra:

A man traveling across a field encountered a tiger. He fled, the tiger after him. Coming to a precipice, he caught hold of the root of a wild vine and swung himself down over the edge. The tiger sniffed at him from above. Trembling, the man looked down to where, far below, another tiger was waiting to eat him. Only the vine sustained him.

Two mice, one white and one black, little by little started to gnaw away the vine. The man saw a luscious strawberry near him. Grasping the vine with one hand, he plucked the strawberry with the other. How sweet it tasted!

This story has helped me a lot recently. I've got some concerns about my health. There's no real problem for the time being, but I'm reminded of the tiger down below, so I have to live in the moment otherwise I'll be worrying, trapped in my head and unable to really see anything. Accepting everything, and living in each moment fully - the ultimate goal of spiritual practice. And sometimes the appearance of a tiger can force us a bit closer.

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2016 :  7:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Parables are relatable organizational tools for coming to terms with our "stuff". Thanks for sharing and wishing you prolonged good health.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2016 :  7:50:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You'll be in my Samyama, Joseph.

Edited by - sunyata on Dec 23 2016 7:50:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2016 :  1:05:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dogboy, Sunyata
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2016 :  9:45:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is no place to hide from yourself,
Running away is the shortest path to your fears -
Black and white, displeasure and pleasure
Melt away in the sweetness of a strawberry.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000