Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Need some guidance!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Xunami

India
6 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2016 :  04:40:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello!

I have always had an interest towards metaphysics and spirituality from as far as I can remember. From a past couple of months, I've been having this sudden surge in interest regarding spirituality, and this seems to be really taking a toll on my mind because I can not concentrate on other things. I've been going through a spiritual identity crisis of some sort. I've always cared and loved people around me, but I just can't get attached to anyone. Be it parents, girlfriend, friends, anyone. I'm failing to understand why I'm having this intense interest in spirituality, all of a sudden. I'm 22 y.o, and I just can't be interested in clubbing, etc etc my peers do. I'm for some reason not fitting in the usual things that a 22 y.o usually does. Any insight on this would help me a long way!

TYSM in advance.

Mykal K

Germany
266 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2016 :  06:27:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Stop trying to fit in .
There are > 7 billion people on this planet.
In my opinion, there is no problem if you live outside of norms / expectations of others.
Way cooler, as well.

Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2016 :  9:22:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Twenty two is the perfect time for a spiritual crisis, you are shedding childhood and diving deep into adulthood. I wouldn't worry too much about deep attachments, remain friendly, pleasant, kind; you know, do unto others...

Your nascent spiritual interests and lack of desire in clubbing are related. You are young and unattached so now is your time to explore this instinct. A meditation practice would be a terrific place to build your foundation.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2016 :  10:08:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

Twenty two is the perfect time for a spiritual crisis...

Yes.
Go to Top of Page

Xunami

India
6 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2016 :  10:20:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

Twenty two is the perfect time for a spiritual crisis, you are shedding childhood and diving deep into adulthood. I wouldn't worry too much about deep attachments, remain friendly, pleasant, kind; you know, do unto others...

Your nascent spiritual interests and lack of desire in clubbing are related. You are young and unattached so now is your time to explore this instinct. A meditation practice would be a terrific place to build your foundation.

I've had a strong feeling this is something related to my past life/lives. I've had a few visions which helped me connect the dots. But of course, skeptically thinking, I do have to argue that these visions were when I was meditating on psychedelic substances. I've had a few more occurrences which have happened when I was sober/high. But Idk if it should really mean anything
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2016 :  03:42:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Xunami,

Welcome!

One life to take care of is enough don't you think? We don't have to worry about what's not here at this moment. The feeling of not fitting in can be a good reason to start your spiritual journey.
We all have our individual obstructions, by taking up a spiritual practice we develop inner silence and inner strength to heal.

Meditating on psychedelics will not help you in the long term. It will confuse you. If you are interested in who you really are you can start reading here:

Everyone knows they are special, that there is something more than this birth, life, and death. It resonates somewhere deep inside all of us. We spend our lifetime trying to reach beyond what we are to be more in one way or another. Sometimes we make a mess of it. Sometimes we make progress. But too often we drift along hoping someone will open a door for us. If only they would, we'd run right through. Or would we?

This is the first crucial step, wanting to run through to that something more in us. Being willing to do it. Craving it. Being desperate for it. I am here because I have been one of those for many years, and I know there must be others. I want to throw out some methods, some methods that work. Tools, you know. They are for your consideration. The rest is up to you. 'Yogani'............
http://www.aypsite.org/10.html

Best wishes

Edited by - Charliedog on Dec 22 2016 04:13:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2016 :  08:21:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Xunami,

Welcome to the forum. As everyone has chimed in, this is the right time to start your new journey. Agree with all posts above.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2016 :  12:09:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
AYP provides a superior alternative to psychedelics, because the practices and principles of this platform result in permanent transformation and ongoing access to inner space. The only catch is that it takes longer to open the doors and build the bridges. But once opened and built, the doors won't shut, and the bridges won't collapse, as they tend to do when the psychedelics wear off.

Get a quick preview through psychedelics, or live the full movie through AYP. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page

Xunami

India
6 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2016 :  02:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've gotten a preview through psychedelics. Realizing that I need a better source to live the full movie, I've resorted to meditation. Can someone please help me out where to begin with, for yoga?
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2016 :  03:59:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a couple formulas to abide by:

Inner Silence + Ecstasy = Enlightenment

Vision + Desire + Action = Achievement (with persistence and consistency being the underlying qualities to all elements on the left side of the equation).

Inner silence is cultivated through Deep Meditation.
Ecstasy through Spinal Breathing, Mudras, Bandhas, Asanas, and more.
Samyama and karma yoga are good at mixing the two.

But really, the #1 practice is bhakti, which is when desire is directed to a chosen ideal. Everything else revolves around that. Charliedog posted the excerpt from the first lesson, so that is the place to start. Then Deep Meditation, then Spinal Breathing, Samyama, and the rest of it.

Start from the beginning of the lessons.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2016 :  05:41:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Like Bodhi says....if you are serious, more detailed lessons you will find in the AYP books and on AYP plus (were you can also read all books online)
if you have started a practice and have questions you run into, you can ask here.....

Take your time, don't hurry it's not a marathon. An asana practice will help you to remove obstructions in the physical body, this was for me personally of great value.

Go to Top of Page

rkishan

USA
102 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2016 :  3:33:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit rkishan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Mykal K

Stop trying to fit in .
In my opinion, there is no problem if you live outside of norms / expectations of others.
Way cooler, as well.

Lets stop making blanket statements like, "Stop doing xyz!"

oops... did I just make a blanket "Stop doing this.." statement to convey the message that "Stop doing this.." statements in most cases are not helpful!

Life is more complicated than saying "Stop doing xyz!". There is a reason some one is expressing concern and seeking help. In my humble opinion, just saying "Stop doing something", rarely helps any one even though it may be THE solution. In certain cases, such statements can even do harm than any good. The following may not be a great analogy, but it has a point. Many people that smoke cigarettes know they need to quit and it is not helpful to their health. No matter whether they think it is harmful or not; in my experience it was never helpful to tell them, "Stop smoking cigarette!".
Let's try to understand what causes a certain concern/condition/behavior and try to address it if we can.

Edited by - rkishan on Dec 29 2016 4:08:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

rkishan

USA
102 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2016 :  4:18:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit rkishan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Xunami,

I have gone through what you are going through. I empathize with you. I think some people here have already given good suggestions. Try to read through the AYP lessons and see if you can do the practices. If you think you need personal guidance or even work with some one in person, there is nothing wrong in that. This here is a great working solution for many, but not the only solution out there. No matter which spiritual path we walk, from my own experience, taking it slow, one step at a time was always better than taking up multiple things at a time to get faster solution. I realize this is easier said than done; in my desperation many a times, I have sought quick fixes or the magic bullet. Looking back, I think that was also part of this journey. Assessing progress carefully and self pacing as Yogani points is important. I used to think, the self pacing was overemphasized by some here. My views have changed. These people know what they are talking about and it is critical.

I wish I could offer a better solution that works right away --because I can relate to what you are saying. Unfortunately I don't know of a faster solution than what I have described above. I can also tell you this from my experience, when we walk this journey, it does get better (gradually). But change is a process that takes some time. It is great that you are able to see something that you perceive as different, and you came here seeking help. You are already on the journey towards the solution. In the meantime, just hang in there!

--Ram.

Edited by - rkishan on Dec 30 2016 08:14:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dennis

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2016 :  02:18:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Humans don't do well with stop or the word "no" for that matter. What is needed is not to stop but to transfer to another activity. Take a baby, for example. Take away a toy they're playing with, they cry. But give them a substitute toy and the first toy can be taken away.
Go to Top of Page

Mykal K

Germany
266 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2016 :  06:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by rkishan

quote:

Stop trying to fit in .
Way cooler, as well.

Lets stop making blanket statements like, "Stop doing xyz!"

oops... did I just make a blanket "Stop doing this.." statement to convey the message that "Stop doing this.." statements in most cases are not helpful!

Life is more complicated than saying "Stop doing xyz!". There is a reason some one is expressing concern and seeking help. In my humble opinion, just saying "Stop doing something", rarely helps any one even though it may be THE solution. In certain cases, such statements can even do harm than any good. The following may not be a great analogy, but it has a point. Many people that smoke cigarettes know they need to quit and it is not helpful to their health. No matter whether they think it is harmful or not; in my experience it was never helpful to tell them, "Stop smoking cigarette!".
Let's try to understand what causes a certain concern/condition/behavior and try to address it if we can.

I appologize for hurting your feelings, and anybody else`s for that matter, who found something hurtful in my post.

Hopefully the author of the question did not take it the same way you did.
Go to Top of Page

rkishan

USA
102 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2016 :  07:57:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit rkishan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I appologize for hurting your feelings, and anybody else`s for that matter, who found something hurtful in my post.

You did not hurt my feelings one bit. If it sounded that way, I am the one that should be apologizing to you.

Try to see it this way. It was a mere observation and something I learned by experience that whenever I said, "Stop doing ....", it rarely ever seemed to work. Sometimes, it aggravated the person to whom I said it, sometimes it made them withdrawn or sometimes it made them move away from me. This is all I wanted to convey. Nothing more, nothing less. I was trying to make this point strongly, with the sole intention that it will help us all communicate better.
No hurt, resentment or anger. It was an observation that came out when the mind was calm.

Perhaps, I could have communicated this point better. I apologize if I presented it in a poor way, thereby hurting your feelings unintentionally. This post is clearly not about me, though I could relate to the core issue. I did not take any part of this post personally.

Edited by - rkishan on Dec 30 2016 08:24:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

rkishan

USA
102 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2016 :  08:17:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit rkishan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Humans don't do well with stop or the word "no" for that matter. What is needed is not to stop but to transfer to another activity. Take a baby, for example. Take away a toy they're playing with, they cry. But give them a substitute toy and the first toy can be taken away.

Well said! Not only did you describe the underlying message that I wanted to convey much more eloquently, but you also talked about substitute toy, thereby providing the alternate way, which I couldn't think of.

Edited by - rkishan on Dec 31 2016 09:59:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mykal K

Germany
266 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2016 :  02:45:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

You did not hurt my feelings one bit. If it sounded that way, I am the one that should be apologizing to you.

Try to see it this way. It was a mere observation and something I learned by experience that whenever I said, "Stop doing ....", it rarely ever seemed to work. Sometimes, it aggravated the person to whom I said it, sometimes it made them withdrawn or sometimes it made them move away from me. This is all I wanted to convey. Nothing more, nothing less. I was trying to make this point strongly, with the sole intention that it will help us all communicate better.
No hurt, resentment or anger. It was an observation that came out when the mind was calm.

Perhaps, I could have communicated this point better. I apologize if I presented it in a poor way, thereby hurting your feelings unintentionally. This post is clearly not about me, though I could relate to the core issue. I did not take any part of this post personally.

Hats off.
Go to Top of Page

rkishan

USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2017 :  1:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit rkishan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

quote:

Hats off.

Hi Mykal,

From the time, I made the first post here lecturing about stopping "stop doing...." statements, in 4 days I caught myself 3 times saying to kids (doesn't matter who), "Stop that..." or. "Stop doing that..."

Perhaps I did the lecture as a strong reminder to myself . It is always easy to say, but tough to implement. I think that comes with time, mindfulness and consistent effort also. On the bright side, I at least I caught myself doing it . And these days there is willingness to admit it...

Edited by - rkishan on Jan 01 2017 2:12:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mykal K

Germany
266 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2017 :  08:42:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rkishan,

Yeah,
energies are not easy to get rid of. Thanks though, through your compassion something got moved here.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000