Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 adverse effects
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

madhusood

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2016 :  08:56:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Mr Tristan and many other senior yogis and advanced students,

I am madhu sood,practicing aasanas meant to strengthen lower chakras with great success and have taken up praanayama three weeks ago.
WHILE I WOULD LIKE TO BE BRIEF, I REQUEST YOU ALL TO TAKE A LOOK AT
THE HISTORY OF MY CONSTITUTION TO UNDERSTAND THE WAY MY BODY/MIND REACTS TO REMEDIES OR PRAANAYAMA.

I was born with delicate constitution. restless mind, worry, pessimism, fearfulness, easily hurt and unexpressed anger and many mental and physical ailments followed by unexpressed anger are part of my nature.weak digestion was obvious with above delicate mind.

however twenty years ago, after a year of stress my health got very worse with all the above symptoms getting worse. conventional,homeo,ayurvedic remedies suggested by many docs across the world failed to bring a positive shift until recently when i started aasanas and digestion has improved significantly.

when i started praanayama three weeks ago with nadi shodhana with external and internal retention i experienced a magical change for the first time in my life where there was utter stillness of mind with no general fears,phobias or anger over past incidents etc and my mind was not reacting to every trivial incident around me. BUT SUBSEQUENT SESSIONS MADE ME LETHARGIC, SLEEPY and brought out many old ailments like inflammation in muscles in lower back,neck etc and anger,phobias surfaced again.

So I continued nadi shodhana without retention. however the ill effects still persists and symptoms get aggravated with each session.
same is the case with kapalbhati, agnisar and surya bhedan.
the energy levels and life glow on the face with kapaalbhati are fluctuating and unpredictable with anger,phobias rising.

It is obvious that with long sickness, there are too many energy blocks and my mind is over stimulated with slight introduction to pranayama .
breath retention is bringing out old ailments may be to heal on a deeper level.

I request you all to please guide me on this.
with many thanks and regard in advance
madhu sood

Edited by - madhusood on Dec 20 2016 11:26:36 AM

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2016 :  10:00:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2016 :  12:32:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Madhu, welcome.

Sorry to read that. I also experienced some bad effects of pranayama, but it was completely my fault because I did not practice the teachings in a proper way (back then I believed that one has to practice more to get bigger results... not my best idea, I have to admit...).

More experienced practitioners will give you good advice, I cannot. Just wanted to say that I feel sorry for you and wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

madhusood

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2016 :  12:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thank u
regards
ms
quote:
Originally posted by Ecdyonurus

Hi Madhu, welcome.

Sorry to read that. I also experienced some bad effects of pranayama, but it was completely my fault because I did not practice the teachings in a proper way (back then I believed that one has to practice more to get bigger results... not my best idea, I have to admit...).

More experienced practitioners will give you good advice, I cannot. Just wanted to say that I feel sorry for you and wish you all the best.

Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2016 :  4:02:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi madhusood,

Welcome to the forums.

For nadhi shodhana, which ratio for the inhale, retention and exhale did you use?
Some ratios are stimulating, while others relaxing. The ones with a longer exhale to inhale ratio would be more advisable in your case.
Be careful that breath is smooth and it takes no effort to breathe or hold the breath. If strain is experienced, lowering the count of ratio would be advisable.

You may also wish to drop other types of pranayama for now.
Instead calming meditation and long walks in nature could bring soothing to your condition.

Devotional singing is very soothing and a powerful way to release unexpressed feelings. It helps lower nevousness, worries and other symtoms you mentioned and can be combined with most other practices with less risk of overload.

Edited by - Omsat on Dec 20 2016 4:03:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

madhusood

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2016 :  7:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Omsat,

Thanks for your kind remarks/advise.

Please note that with a delicate constitution, low vitality and being still a beginer in pranayama my oxygen intake is very less.

So I have noticed that my lungs cant breathe more than two seconds and would exhale within a second. so the ratio is 2:1. however internal retention is 12 to 20 seconds while external retention is between 8 to 10 seconds i think.So when i practiced nadi shodhana with retentino i used to inhale for two seconds, retain for 16 seconds exhale within 2 seconds (not 4 as usually suggested which double than the duration of inhale ) and retain externally for 4 seconds. this was taught by a popular swami and i picked it up on youtube.

so I am at present incapable of doing long exhale than inhale as you have advised.

an indian yoga teacher when contacted after ill effects were noticed commented that because of my chronic illness there may be eneryg blocks and starting off with nadi shodhana with retention can complicate the body further hence he advised me to stop which i did.

Long walks have helped me physically. so have aasanas.
but nothing has brought a remarkable positive change in my mind as praanayama (nadi shodhana initially). being a vaata person (right now highly out of balance) bhakti is not for me as my mind tends to question than submit. i need to make some progress in praanayama until the enquiring tendency of the mind lessens and bhakti takes over.

thanks for your advise to stop other praanayama techniques. i wud be grateful if you can suggest any other changes if any incase.
with many regards
madhu sood

quote:
Originally posted by Omsat

Hi madhusood,

Welcome to the forums.

For nadhi shodhana, which ratio for the inhale, retention and exhale did you use?
Some ratios are stimulating, while others relaxing. The ones with a longer exhale to inhale ratio would be more advisable in your case.
Be careful that breath is smooth and it takes no effort to breathe or hold the breath. If strain is experienced, lowering the count of ratio would be advisable.

You may also wish to drop other types of pranayama for now.
Instead calming meditation and long walks in nature could bring soothing to your condition.

Devotional singing is very soothing and a powerful way to release unexpressed feelings. It helps lower nevousness, worries and other symtoms you mentioned and can be combined with most other practices with less risk of overload.

Edited by - madhusood on Dec 20 2016 7:46:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2016 :  9:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Inhaling/exhaling in two seconds seems inconceivable; are you saying your lung capacity is < 20%? I think if you practice inhaling and exhaling (especially) at a very slow pace, over time this will improve your pranayama practice. I second Omsat's suggestions.
Go to Top of Page

madhusood

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2016 :  12:02:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi,
thanks for the reply and advise.
I agree I have weak lung capacity but I have met few who cud not manage to breathe in or out for more than two seconds.i heard from few yoga teachers too that one or two out ten students have this weakness.
regards
ms

quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

Inhaling/exhaling in two seconds seems inconceivable; are you saying your lung capacity is < 20%? I think if you practice inhaling and exhaling (especially) at a very slow pace, over time this will improve your pranayama practice. I second Omsat's suggestions.

Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2016 :  12:45:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Madhu Sood,

I am sorry that you have to deal with so many physical challenges. My advice is to learn a good meditation technique and practice it for a while (months or years) before you try any pranayama techniques. Meditation is at the core of yoga practice. It is the most powerful technique. Pranayama is like fertilizing the soil, while meditation is like planting the seeds of pure bliss consciousness. Fertilizing the soil without seeding anything is just a wish that something good will happen to grow for you. Better take care and plant what you want to grow.

Deep meditation is also much gentler on the physical body, while promoting purifications, so you would not have to deal with the lung limitations that make pranayama difficult.

Yogani gives very clear and simple instructions for deep meditation. Start reading here:http://www.aypsite.org/10.html

After some months or years of deep meditation, you may find pranayama more accessible.

Best wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2016 :  4:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi madhusood,

In this case, it is better to stop with nadi shoddhana right away.
It causes more imbalance in your system with the ratios you mentioned.

All other pranayams you mentioned shouldn't be practiced either at this stage.

Instead, learn normal relaxed breathing lying on your back in Savasana (the corpse pose), using the three parts (lower abdomen, midsection and upper body). At first, practicing the three parts separately. Then, learning to combine these three parts in one fluid motion.
This will increase your lung capacity and overall health.
When this is comfortable, you can do the 3 part breathing sitting with straight spine.
Building up patiently, your exhalations and inhalations will naturally become longer and smoother.

I wouldn't consider doing pranayam until both your inhalations and exhalations are 8 seconds each at the very least, and you can maintain such a rhythm for over 10 minutes. Also, find an expert in pranayam should you later decide to take on such practice. It is powerful, and can be used for gaining health, but if not done appropriately may do more harm than good.

While all pranayams should be avoided at this stage, keeping up the very basic simple breathing exercise mentioned above is a good idea as increased lung capacity will have immediate effects in improving health and wellbeing.
There are very basic and simple asanas that foster the process of empowered full yogic breathing. You may learn them from a yoga teacher in your neighbourhood. Feel free to pm me if you don't find a teacher that knows which postures help strengthening each part of the full breathing.

As mentioned before by several posters, meditation and favouring anything that calms you will help tremendously with bringing your system (and breathing patterns) back to normal.

Establishing routine is essential also for recovering vata imbalances.
It will be very helpful to make it a priority to sleep at regular times and sleep long, eating regular healthy meals and ideally following the same schedule every day until stable health is re-established.

Wishing you strength, patience and endurance during the recovery process.

Edited by - Omsat on Dec 21 2016 4:26:51 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000