New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2016 :  10:13:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I know better than to try to correct thoughts. BUT my Ishta is doing all this. Choose something else! We are making this up! I am making all this up.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2016 :  10:19:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
to you, Lalow.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2016 :  10:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a lesson on beliefs as creation? That's what I see.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2016 :  04:01:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
'The mind is everything..... What we think we become' Buddha
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2016 :  10:00:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a fan of affirmational self-inquiry. So if I'm having negative thoughts, I can introduce positive thoughts to spin things in a new direction.

For instance, let's say I'm thinking thoughts like: I'm not making enough progress; I can't manage the energy; nothing matters because I'm just going to die anyway.

I can introduce a new thought-stream, like: I am making progress, and there's proof of it; I am managing the flow of purification and I've made adjustments; I am improving the quality of life for myself and those around me.

Sometimes releasing thoughts into stillness is not enough. We have to be more creative in re-shaping the thoughts. Too much release (samyama) can cause an overload. I think Yogani once called it a samyama hangover.

Be playful with the negativity and realize that you can master your mind by creating a new story and writing your own inner narrative. You are the creator and the created.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2016 :  10:19:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lalow,

There is a lesson on Self-inquiry practice here which includes using positive affirmations to change our life and to change the world around us.

This can be made more effective by using the power of inner silence (samyama) to amplify the thoughts. This is mentioned in lesson addition 326.2:

"During daily activity, yes, releasing affirmations and desires in stillness is valid. The more abiding inner silence we have, the more effective our affirmations will be. This is the essence of effective prayer." [Yogani]

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2016 :  10:34:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good mention of Addition 326.2. Just to add from that lesson:

"However, structured samyama practice (Lesson 150) is not for the fulfillment of personal affirmations, but for increasing our overall ability to operate as "stillness in action" in all we do in daily life."

Here's something funny though. What if my exact personal affirmation is that I'm consistently and persistently operating as stillness in action in daily life, and wish to continue doing so?

Oops! Looks like my personal affirmation is getting fulfilled since my affirmation matches the exact purpose of samyama! (Personal becomes transpersonal).
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2016 :  12:19:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One of placebo's definitions is "a medication prescribed for more for mental relief of a patient rather than its actual affect on the disorder". By choosing positive affirmations it matters not if there is science behind it, only that it is working for you. Positive builds on positive just as negative builds on negative. All you have to do is choose which way to lean and momentum takes over.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2016 :  12:47:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We can live dispassionately through difficulties in life. However, dispassion does not mean apathy.

Agree with everyone on positive affirmation. Replacing negative thought with a smiley face works too.

Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2016 :  03:55:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe I have a choice, I believe that I can create.
Sometimes it seems that I have to learn from mistakes.
Does that mean that the mistake was necessary ? Very difficult to answer.
May be sometimes we have to choose a dark side ? Pondering ...

Wolfgang
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2016 :  11:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well,

I have stopped meditating and doing a gentle asana practice and opening to service. I gots negative crap coming off of me, so no one wants my help. Lol

I found a book at the library called Hands of Light. It's an energy perspective, but it talks about everything I'm going through now. I see it from an AYP perspective, so I don't see the advice much different than AYP or what is offered in this thread.

I also found a song at the record store today. It's progressive metal. Motherload( Mastodon). I was first draw to a song from Mastodon that happens to be about a nephew dying. It has growling and yelling, so I won't mention the name here.
Here's Motherload though:
I can see what the world has done to you
I can feel the weight
Feel the weight

I can see what this life has handed you
I can feel the weight
Feel the weight

This time, this time
Things'll work out just fine
We won't let you slip away
This time, this time
We won't let you leave this way
If you want you can will it
You can have it
I can put it right there in your hands

I can hear what the spirits are telling you
I can clear the weight
Clear the weight

I can see all the wolves as they circle you
I can crush the weight
Crush the weight

This time, this time
This time, this time
You can have it

This time, this time
This time, this time
You can have it
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2016 :  11:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgang

Wolfgang

I don't know. The darker side can turn right to light I think? I need to tiptoe through anger. Too much violence in my family. I recently had a family member murder someone. So I tiptoe through it. I don't like it. I really don't like it. Just a toe in. That's what I can do.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2016 :  03:24:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It could be of great value to ask food advice from someone like an ayurvedic therapist/doctor. It's not easy to change food habits, especially with a raising family. Food and the way we think and feel is intertwined.

I'm talking from own experience, my way to an ayurvedic some years ago opened a whole new area of insights in food relations and the relation with our body constitution, emotions, thinking etc. I did a three months program with detox ayurvedic medicine and food advice, it brought balance and peace in mind.

At this moment in december, with family and friends gatherings I am less strict with myself and have to say I notice it already. Not feeling very well, next week I'm going to fast and back to normal.

to you lalow

Edited by - Charliedog on Dec 29 2016 03:28:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2016 :  03:28:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lalow33

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgang

Wolfgang

I don't know. The darker side can turn right to light I think? I need to tiptoe through anger. Too much violence in my family. I recently had a family member murder someone. So I tiptoe through it. I don't like it. I really don't like it. Just a toe in. That's what I can do.

Oh, anger, I got that too ! But violence, physical violence that is: I didn't experience that.
Someone gave me the advice to let the anger out: punch a cushion or a boxing bag. I do that mentally, may be should try it on something physical.

And about your song: "We won't let you slip away!"
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2017 :  09:41:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ummm... my husband is going through this round of purification as well. He has concluded that there's something horribly wrong with him, which I kinda concluded about myself. I don't see a problem with him. I'm going to drop this anger thing as something that is horribly wrong. It's just not true, no reason to be identified with it.
Go to Top of Page

SuperTrouper

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  11:24:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've gone through this a number of times with many different techniques. And it tends to make me irritable, angry, and lash out at people in a negative way. What I've discovered, at least for me, is that the balance between concentration and mindfulness is off. Too much mindfulness and I move through the stages of insight, many of which are really uncomfortable and negative. Those stages, which come after the beatific highs, are sometimes called "The Dark Night of the Soul." There are only three ways I've found to counteract this when it happens:

1. Focus more on steady, stable, *calming* concentration techniques, and less on the insight-generating techniques -- including those that induce mental silence (in the AYP system, DM is concentration, and Samyama acts like an insight technique for me.)
2. Self-pace. And I do this anytime the beginning of an overload is felt. Because for me, once an overload hits its stride, it's too late to recover, and I have to take a day off. In practice this has meant that I immediately stop in the middle of my practice when I feel the energy become grating, push up my upper back/neck, or begin to build at my crown. I just immediately stop and go rest. But being able to detect it before it really begins takes some mindful finesse.
3. And the third only applies to when I have, in the past, intentionally climbed up the stages of Insight by practicing constant mindfulness during daily life, or insight-specific techniques, like noting (which Samyama most definitely accidentally falls into because of the way the technique is applied, and the results it provides.) And that is to keep practicing 100% mindfulness and cultivating and purifying sensory clarity without stopping. You'll continue to move through some pretty dark stuff, and then eventually break through to Equanimity (and eventually enlightenment/first path/kensho as the insight buddhists refer to it.) But if one doesn't continue to maintain mindfulness and break through to each progressive stage until one reaches equanimity, they fall back and keep having to deal with the same stages over and over and over again until they do.

Obviously only the first two really apply to your situation. If I were you and you've been on this nightmare carousel for quite awhile now, I would probably just switch to a different system. Probably a Buddhist one that does away with postures and pranayama, as it sounds like you are overly sensitive. If you've never cultivated the jhanas via simple breathing meditation, it might be a welcome respite. Once you reach them, the jhanas are saturatingly beautiful and emotionally healing on levels of peacefulness that are truly indescribable.
Go to Top of Page

Kentox

India
61 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2017 :  03:55:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you get fried during a spiritual activity it just means you need to be increase your capacity.

Grounding is good, Bhuta shuddhi is much much more effective. I'd recommend Bhuta shuddhi in whatever way possible you can.

It is essentially cleaning of 5 elements. Water, fire, air, earth and akash(space/ether) This is the base of all yoga.

For water, which is 70% and more of body it is very neccesary that you keep emotions in check and keep them pleasant. Surround yourself with pleasant atmosphere otherwise like water it gets polluted easily. Whenever you take a bath feel the water as deeply as you can, if possible use a shower or pool. Feel it clean your impurities and bring peace

Earth is stubborn but can be made into soft clay for you transform, you can either exercise, stretch, do hatha yoga or even lightly clean it while bathing thinking of your body as clay. Imagine shaping yourself as beautiful as you wish to be. Slowly slowly it'll cave in, but it'll remain stubborn.

Air is easiest out of all of them, you can do pranayama and see instant benefits which admittedly come as fast as they go. But as your breathing gets cleaner and stronger just breathe conciously and it'll be beautiful. Breathing through belly will bring great amount of bliss.

with Air element up, fire becomes more easier to use. You can use sunlight or even fire and stare at it (for sun I recommend closing eyes unless its dawn or dusk when it loses its harmful rays). It is but a small part of your being but it is strong and pure and not at all easy to pollute.

For Akash, It gets tricky it'll be helped by every element but separately you can also sing...with proper intention. feel the vibrations within as you sing your heart out.

What is necessary is raising your perception and capacity to hold the nothingness. Each day involve yourself in Bhuta Shuddhi. Make it a routine to interact with elements present around you and realize how everything is just these 5 things mixed in different proportions. Entire universe is...

even if doesn't help you'll come out feeling purer and more alive than before.

But if you are met with unpleasant emotions and feelings during this, do not tiptoe around it...confront it...know what you feel, if it makes you cry...do cry. if it makes you laugh...laugh. Do not run from it, it'll only lead to one blockage after another.

I got severe anger bouts when I started but I started to mellow out. Even now my voice is stern but it'll mellowing greatly. I originally was not at all a stern person when I started my practice, I was a shy silent and depressed kid feeling un-safe and insecure even while climbing stairs let alone in public. Even I am surprised at how much I've changed.

These shackles will slip away without you noticing and slowly slowly over weeks you'll be more calmer and accepting of what you are.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000