Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Contradictory experience
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hridaya

Finland
6 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2016 :  11:43:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello!

As a child I remember having experiences where my body would feel numb and tingly and simultaneously very thin and really, really thick or swollen. Time would also seem to be both speeded up and slowed down. So all movements and sounds seemed to happen both in slow-motion and really quickly. This would usually happen while on the edge of sleep, together with a feeling of falling down a bottomless tunnel. Sometimes it happened during the day too, without the falling down a tunnel thing.

After restarting my on-again off-again meditation practice (again), this has started happening occationally while lying down after the 15 min deep meditation. It has happened before too. A few years ago while practising kriya it would happen when going deeper into stillness than usual (or after).

Perhaps this is seen as scenery by AYP, but i'm still curious to hear if this is common or at least recognized by someone. I have never heard anyone talk about this. It used to worry me when I was young, but I've come to accept it as just something that happens.

Anyway, do you know what this is and/or has this happened to you?

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2016 :  12:53:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi hridaya !

I can associate with your description. Your spirit body and your physical body are separating and you are consciously experiencing this (near) separation. I guess this can also be associated with "astral travel". Another term that can be going in this direction is called "lucid dreaming".
If it happens unexpectedly during the day you should be grounding yourself.
It it happens during or after meditation, then I would not worry - it can lead to interesting experiences.
My 2 cents, take care
Wolfgang
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2016 :  05:08:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Hridaya, I had similar experiences several times during practices, in both pranayama and meditation. As a child also occasionally. I never considered that as a relevant thing - just a funny experience, a state of consciuosness I sometimes fall into for some minutes.
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2016 :  05:31:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hypnogogic sleep is another term you might want to research.
Go to Top of Page

hridaya

Finland
6 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2016 :  09:11:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi!

I appreciate your answers. It's nice to know I'm not just wired weird.

The experiences when falling asleep as a child could be explained as hypnagogic. Still this explanation doesn't really fit with the experiences while wide awake and able to interact normally with physical reality and other people. Also the hypnagogic state seems to often include hallucinations of various kinds which doesn't really fit my experience (while awake) - just contradictory distortions of time and bodily dimensions.

I've tried to explain what was going on to a flatmate while it was happening. He thougt I seemed completely normal and had not experienced anything similar.

I guess it makes sense that this could be a transitional state between the purely physical and astral. I've read about time flowing very differently in the astral realms. Then again the hypnagogic state could be called a transitional state too... Anyway, I think I agree with Ecdyonurus that this isn't really a relevant thing, atleast not in a AYP context.

Still it's an interesting experience. I think simultaneously experiencing opposites, especially at a young age has shaped my thinking quite a bit. It probably made me more curious about altered states too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000