Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Struggling to meditate in the afternoon
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

louisac

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2016 :  11:26:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
I've been meditating daily in the morning for a couple of months now and it's going well, however I can't seem to manage a successful meditation in the afternoon. I inevitably fall into micro-dreams, cannot reach a meditative state and give up, feeling disheartened. Thus I do not meditate twice a day, and have just read in one of the lessons that it would be better to meditate twice a day for the minutes than once a day for twenty! If anyone has any advice for overcoming this problem, I'd be glad to receive it. Good wishes to all,
Louisa

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2016 :  12:58:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Louisa

It is better to meditate than not meditate, obviously, so if your afternoon meditation falls into micro dreams, or is otherwise distracting, then just easily favor the mantra and start again. After all, you are already on your mat, you may as well continue. It is also alright to dial back into breath meditation, or lay down on your mat and take a nap. Feeling disheartened is really a waste of energy; if you notice this in you, then send the feeling on its way, samyama-style. Meditative states deepen and fall shallow; purification roars through your system at times and then falls quiet at others; day to day your body tells you what is needed in subtle ways; your continued practice will guide you to pick up on this and go with the flow. For me personally, twice a day meditations are a luxury, and I too fretted that I would fall behind. Now three years in this is definately not the case. Perhaps in prior incarnations I had a head start in purification, perhaps my vessal adjusted and made the most of a single sitting a day, I don't have the answer. I do know by remaining open and dedicated, relaxed and attentive, my yoga is strong and getting stronger and I make the most of what ever the flavor of each sitting reveals to me.

Happy practice!
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2016 :  6:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by louisac

[size=1]Hi all,
I inevitably fall into micro-dreams, cannot reach a meditative state and give up, feeling disheartened.
If you fall into micro-dreams, that does not mean it's not good meditation. I would throw out that idea of "reaching a meditative state". Expectation as to what meditation should be/feel like are an obstacle to progress. All you need to do is follow the procedure of easily returning to the mantra when you realise your're off it. That's it.

Best wishes
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2016 :  7:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The day that has gone by or the tiredness thereof tends to color our second session in the day. So don't worry about it too much. Be aware that these too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2016 :  9:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by louisac

Hi all,
I've been meditating daily in the morning for a couple of months now and it's going well, however I can't seem to manage a successful meditation in the afternoon. I inevitably fall into micro-dreams, cannot reach a meditative state and give up, feeling disheartened. Thus I do not meditate twice a day, and have just read in one of the lessons that it would be better to meditate twice a day for the minutes than once a day for twenty! If anyone has any advice for overcoming this problem, I'd be glad to receive it. Good wishes to all,
Louisa

Hi Louisac,

When we first start meditating, these symptoms are common. I went through these too. I've also snoozed for over an hour many times during my beginning meditation days.Overtime they will settle down.

Also, we measure our progress by how our daily Life is. Yes, twice daily 20 mins deep meditation is recommended unless self pacing.

Keep going and never give up. This is the best gift you can give yourself and everyone else.

Enjoy your journey

Sunyata

Edited by - sunyata on Jul 26 2016 9:23:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

louisac

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2016 :  1:01:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm so thankful for all of your thoughtful responses. I feel a fresh sense of resolve to keep trying! What a great community this forum is
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2016 :  10:17:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Luisac,
Another way to approach your afternoon sessions is to pay attention to what happens when you come back from the " dreams." Where is the "I am" going when you sleep? Is the consciousness going away, or is it still there, but the sense of I, the self-awareness dissolves? Try to "remember" the flavor, the perfume of coming back from pure consciousness to self-awareness. You might notice the moment when the I-identity comes online, as the self-awareness returns. As you continue DM, this process becomes smoother, clearer.

You could also do this practice first thing in the morning, when you wake up.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000