Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Spinal Breathing and Meditation other than DM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

saurabh88

India
23 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2016 :  08:13:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
HELLO all.
i have been reading this site for 2 years and started practicing spb and dm since 1 month.
but i want to try other meditation then DM after spb,.
is it good or have to go for this designed path of spb and dm??
please enlighten me

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2016 :  10:15:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Only you can really say. One month is not enough to base the effectiveness of any meditation. Unless you are in discomfort, I'd just keep going and see what blooms.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2016 :  10:54:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Practice of meditation can take a long time to know what it does for you.
Reading about meditation and yoga can be useful but is not the experience.
The practice is the experience.
How you feel in daily life is the result of your practice,
this will change as your practice continues.
Give it time.....
Go to Top of Page

saurabh88

India
23 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2016 :  11:57:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i have been doing hath yoga since one and half years.and also awareness in daily action.
but i m beat attracted to spb but not dm.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2016 :  12:50:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My own experience is that I did for many years Hatha yoga asana and pranayama, also SBP. Shavasana was my meditation, I know now, looking back.

The desire to sit in DM came later for me. We are all individuals, and have a choice in practice.

AYP gives many tools and lessons with experienced results.

How you personally use these tools is up to you, the results are to experience by yourself. There is no wrong or right, it is to experience.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2016 :  1:40:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Saurabh88,

The combination of Spinal Breathing Pranayama and Deep Meditation is a powerful one. If you find DM difficult, AYP does offer breathing meditation as an alternative option. It is not as powerful as using a mantra, but some people find it easier, especially if they are finding that they are over-sensitive to the AYP mantra. It is also a very beautiful practice.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

saurabh88

India
23 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2016 :  2:48:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks a lot for reply.
what if i start with spb and om mantra
or
spb and vipassana meditation?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2016 :  3:55:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Saurabj88,

There is obviously a huge range of possible meditation techniques out there, and it is not possible to comment on every possibility and combination of practices. I have personally used breathing meditation with Spinal Breathing and Deep Meditation, for many years, and found them to be effective and to work well together.

See this lesson on the process of experimenting and combining different spiritual practices.

Lesson 384 - Baseline Systems of Practice and Research on Modifications

In reference to using Om as a mantra in meditation when starting out, Om is a powerful mantra, and this is the reason that it is not offered as a starting mantra in AYP practice.

See this lesson:

Lesson 59 - Q&A – Some mantra particulars

and this one:

Lesson 188 - Q&A – Mantra Design 101 and Third enhancement of mantra

With reference to vipassana meditation, there are different styles of vipassana, practised in different countries. If you are referring to the Burmese vipassana practice, which is really a body sweeping technique, I would say that it does not really hold a candle to Deep Meditation, in terms of the cultivation of inner silence.

I should mention that breathing meditation is only offered as an alternative to mantra meditation in AYP, for people who have already been practising Deep Meditation, but have developed some over-sensitivity to the mantra, and need a more gentle practice to use for a while. It is not a long term solution and is not as effective as Deep Meditation.

The best thing you can do, as others have suggested above, is to stick with Deep Meditation for a while, and see how you get on with it. Remember not to judge the practice according to some set of subjective experiences that you are hoping to get. That is not the way to approach meditation. Simply practice, according to the instructions and then judge the practice by the results that you get in your daily life outside of meditation.

Any meditation practice needs at least a few months, if not longer, to settle in, so give it some time, before opting for what could well turn out to be a less effective practice, with unknown long-term outcomes, instead.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

saurabh88

India
23 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2016 :  12:05:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the insight christi.
are these all lessons of aypplus preset in yogani books on advnae yoga practice?
as most of the lesson are in aypplus paid forum.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2016 :  03:51:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Saurabh88,

Yes, lesson 384 is available for free on this site. Lessons 59 and 188 are available in the book: "Advanced Yoga Practices, Easy Lessons for Ecstatic Living: Vol 1" by Yogani, and also on the AYP Plus site.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

saurabh88

India
23 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2016 :  1:29:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ok got it .thanks a,lot to help me....
Go to Top of Page

MrCuddly

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2016 :  09:13:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are lots of excellent meditation practices you can find mentioned on the net. And it doesn't hurt at all to have several at your disposal to practice when you feel drawn to them. I always keep coming back to DM since it's the most effortless and goes deeper and quicker into stillness. i know its a bit heretical around here but I have several meditations that I can decide tmoment to moment which to use.

There are even have several different spinal breathing methods I'll alternate. Even though AYP doesn't focus on the chakras there's one where you're also chanting OM in each chakra ascending and descending which feels incredible.

I know the AYP approach is to dig deep through reputation of the same techniques and I can't argue the effectiveness of that approach. But personally I relish variety and use alternatives not only to keep the practice fresh but to make adjustments depending on different Mental or physical states. If it keeps me coming back my progress will continue.

Edited by - MrCuddly on Aug 10 2016 09:31:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2016 :  09:31:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2016 :  12:45:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by MrCuddly

There are lots of excellent meditation practices you can find mentioned on the net. And it doesn't hurt at all to have several at your disposal to practice when you feel drawn to them. I always keep coming back to DM since it's the most effortless and goes deeper and quicker into stillness. i know its a bit heretical around here but I have several meditations that I can decide tmoment to moment which to use.

There are even have several different spinal breathing methods I'll alternate. Even though AYP doesn't focus on the chakras there's one where you're also chanting OM in each chakra ascending and descending which feels incredible.

I know the AYP approach is to dig deep through reputation of the same techniques and I can't argue the effectiveness of that approach. But personally I relish variety and use alternatives not only to keep the practice fresh but to make adjustments depending on different Mental or physical states. If it keeps me coming back my progress will continue.

Hi Mrcuddly, IMHO your approach is a smart one - if you find that a practice is boring you really have to add some different spice/variety or your inner guru someday will make you quit.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000