Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Jalandhar in DM?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - May 09 2016 :  07:05:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Currently I do 5 minutes of pranayama with jalandhara followed smoothly by 20 minutes of DM, twice a day if I can manage it. I also do at least one weekly asana session, 90 minutes with my Iyengar yoga class. At this point the 20 minutes of DM feels good, though it is above the normal recommendation and I found it difficult when I restarted AYP practice.

Lately I've been ending jalandhar mudra with the DM, but sometimes I find my head returns to it spontaneously. I also at different times find myself drawing energy up and down the susumna while in DM.

Are these normal? I don't perceive any problems with them, though DM and pranayama do not have the same purposes. It just strikes me as unusual, at least surprising, that the details of pranayama are mixing themselves with the details of DM.

Thanks for any comments others can offer! -- Ken

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - May 09 2016 :  08:52:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Currently I do 5 minutes of pranayama with jalandhara followed smoothly by 20 minutes of DM, twice a day if I can manage it. I also do at least one weekly asana session, 90 minutes with my Iyengar yoga class. At this point the 20 minutes of DM feels good, though it is above the normal recommendation and I found it difficult when I restarted AYP practice.

20 mins of DM twice daily is the recommended time and not above. Are you referring to Asana practice? I practice 3-4 days, 75-90 mins and it's fine. Self pace if it causes overload. If not, continue with your practice. AYP has Asana starter kit to practice before SB, if you are interested.

quote:
Lately I've been ending jalandhar mudra with the DM, but sometimes I find my head returns to it spontaneously. I also at different times find myself drawing energy up and down the susumna while in DM.

Are you mixing these two practices? Not recommended. Finish jalandhar, wait for few minutes and start DM.
When you notice you are doing Pranayam during DM and that you are off the mantra- Easily favor the mantra.

Lesson 218 on head movements
http://www.aypsite.org/218.html

quote:
Are these normal? I don't perceive any problems with them, though DM and pranayama do not have the same purposes. It just strikes me as unusual, at least surprising, that the details of pranayama are mixing themselves with the details of DM.

You may have noticed that our experiences during practice change all the time. Intentionally mixing them is not recommended. Again, if it's happening during DM and you notice you are off the mantra - Easily favor the mantra is the key.

DM is a simple practice of easily favoring the mantra when you notice you are off it. It's good we have questions when we start but over analysis in the long run defeats the purpose of DM.

Enjoy your journey.

Edited by - sunyata on May 11 2016 10:33:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - May 09 2016 :  4:22:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I also at different times find myself drawing energy up and down the susumna while in DM.

This should not be done intentionally, and as Sunyata says, return to the mantra. DM can at times be highly energetic, and when it is I simply ask "am I surrendering?" and the next moment it is so. Any energetics after that is not of my doing
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - May 11 2016 :  06:38:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your contributions!

The mixing of pranayama with DM is not intentional, and I do return to the mantra when I see it. The jandhalara is also spontaneous and not intentional. It seems that the recommendation is to raise my head to a level position when I find it, as well.

So yes, I am surrendering!
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - May 11 2016 :  07:09:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Kensbike - it often happened to me during the early years as automatic yoga and Jalandhara was not even part of my routine.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - May 11 2016 :  10:42:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Sey! I thing the advice was, it is just something that may happen as the flow of prana starts and increases.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - May 12 2016 :  02:26:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kensbikes,

Yes, in AYP, mudras and bandhas can be applied during pranayama, but they are only used during meditation if they are happening automatically. So if, during meditation, you find that your head is automatically dropping forward onto your chest, it is fine to let that happen and simply continue with your practice.

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000