Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Kundalini Yoga
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2016 :  11:37:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
There is a new Yoga Asanas instructor at the place where I usually go to yoga and she teaches kundalini yoga. I was shocked that at her very first class (filled with mature ladies, most, like yours truly, never moving past beginners level) she started off with fire breathing for some 15 mins and after that all poses were held for 3 mins while fire breathing. So we were 'breathing fire' for over an hour.
I am worried that this is unsafe as I feel it is too strong a kundalini stimulator. That was the first class, so maybe it changes after that.
Has anyone experience with kundalini yoga asanas? Am I being overly concerned? Are other practices added to balance all that kundalini revving?

Sey

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2016 :  11:58:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lives up to the name this class, doesn't it? She wants to awaken K no mater what.
I think there is some protection for beginners in that they won't go into the practice fully, there are subconscious protection mechanisms. There will be exceptions, but I don't see what you can do (apart from not going there yourself, which means one customer withdraws her support). A further step would be for you to set up a competing class. I'm afraid these are all the options I can think of just now.
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2016 :  12:09:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with BRC. Or you could tell the instructor to spell out the risks to the entire class and providing an option to opt out of strenuous breathing exercises.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2016 :  12:37:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sey:

Not a good combination for those doing daily practices like AYP at home already, and perhaps delayed serious problems with premature kundalini awakening for beginners as well if they continue with this.

Let the buyer beware!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2016 :  1:09:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sey, it Sounds like a heavy approach... did you find it fun? How did the othrr people react? I can't imagine that beginner can sustain BOF for such a long diration. I don't think that I would enjoy such a class.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2016 :  5:00:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Hi Sey, it Sounds like a heavy approach... did you find it fun? How did the othrr people react? I can't imagine that beginner can sustain BOF for such a long diration. I don't think that I would enjoy such a class.

Me either. I've been to Kundalini yoga classes that are no where near as intensive as this.
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2016 :  7:20:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sey I hope you are doing ok, I have read that those who practice Kundalini Yoga are prone to having allot of problems.

I think Yogani has already advised you correctly.

Be careful. Wishing you only the very best.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2016 :  02:38:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear all,

Thank you for your input. You have confirmed my opinion that it is indeed "heavy". I had decided to drop out of this class but was also feeling an obligation to warn others (who have no knowledge of Yoga practices) that her approach is somewhat unsafe but wanted more input before acting. I could not enjoy the class, I did not do the required fire breathing after the first 10 mins because I felt like I would exit my body if I had continued.

Such a pity.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2016 :  4:42:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sey,

in combination with other pratices like in your case, it may cause imbalances. But if people are only practicing what is taught there, the results may be smooth. The best is to observe and speak with longtime practitioners of that system who do not mix up.

Other than that happy and smooth practice :)
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2016 :  02:17:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Holy,
That was what I hoped to achieve by posting about it in the forums. I hoped someone with some experience of this system would pitch in and clarify the approach. In any case I have written to the lady instructor with my concerns. I do not think I will be continuing with the class but hopefully others will benefit.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2016 :  08:03:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sey,

I think your approach is wise. Teachers need some feedback from students.

As for warning other students, I think it's best not to. It's hard to talk across frameworks. Even people taking this yoga class may not have a similar framework.

Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2016 :  12:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Was very lucky to meet some utmost fine, grounded kundalini yogi(ni)s on my travels.

Having participated to a couple of classes a few years ago, my impression was also it can be pretty intense. But the practices were brought with so much presence and awareness along with certain other soothing elements (special instruments of high vibration and grounding effects) that the generated energy was balanced out well with stillness. I observed from the long time practioners how much stamina, both physically and energetically, they developed over time from their practice.

Then also, some (beginner) practitioners sometimes need more force to get the process started. The same influence that may overburden a small animal may not even be noticed by a lion or elephant

In conclusion, albeit I didn't go much into the branch of yoga called kundalini yoga, from what I have seen it seems a path that has attracted some most elegantly dedicated and skilled teachers and practitioners. It may be most suitable for those already quite physically inclined, grounded and athletically gifted before starting a yoga practice. More suitable for kapha constitutions than vata constitutions.

Edited by - Omsat on Feb 27 2016 12:29:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

Anahata

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2016 :  12:52:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think others have given good advice here. I found Kundaini a very harsh practice in the way you described. I have been to a very few of those classes it was actually only part of the class. And I toned it way down and made many modifications for myself. I don’t think the teacher was pleased with me which seemed really odd but it is my practice.
To give some perspective I am not a mature woman. (Anahata is the heart Chakra not my real name, but you all probably know that here) I am a relatively young male and athletic. I usually do that ridiculous Ashtanga stuff, the physical practice, and think it’s fun. With any practice it is likely important to start gently at the beginning and learn if or when we are ready.

Edited by - Anahata on Feb 27 2016 1:02:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2016 :  11:31:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sey,

What is this "fire breathing"? I am not familiar with this term. Could you pl. explain it to me ? Also, what is the full routine taught by this school/lady ? What does she charge for the "course"? Or is it per session? Would be grateful for your response.

Krish
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - May 01 2016 :  01:33:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Krish ,

It is similar to what we call Bastrika in AYP where you breathe in and then expel air completely from the lungs in one go and with force, then you draw the next breath and expel...
I'm afraid I did not stick around long enough to learn the full routine. I attended the first class only (out of six classes) so it can very well be that other elements are added to balance and ground.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - May 02 2016 :  07:26:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Sey. If anybody else in the forum familiar with this school can answer my other questions posted on 27th April, I would be grateful.

Krish
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - May 02 2016 :  07:41:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sey and others,

Sri Sri Ravishankar of "Art of Living" in Bangalore teaches "Sudarshan Kriya", in which he asks even new participants to practice this "fire-breathing" for 40 min. at a time. They have to do this at 3 speeds, about 50 or 60 cycles in each speed. This is done for 40 min. I have seen very senior people (70 yrs. and above ) practice every day for 6 days at a stretch, during the course. I find it really increases one's energy levels. One is asked to lay down in Shavasana after this routine for 15 or 20 min. and during this period one actually feels "prana" flowing vigorously to every cell in the body. One feels the attendant "tingling sensation" even at the tips of the fingers and toes. After this, if one sits for meditation, one is able to go deep in straight away and time passes without your knowing it.

Krish
Go to Top of Page

dv2014

USA
93 Posts

Posted - May 02 2016 :  10:18:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Krish,

I have taken Sri Sri's Sudarshan kriya course, and I do respect and value his messages. But don't you think it is 'putting the cart before the horse', as they say in AYP?

I, however, practiced it for 40 days in a stretch without any overloading at that time, (perhaps I was not much spiritually inclined then).

But overall, it comes out as a pranayama heavy practice for me. They do have meditation courses - but introduced later in their series of courses.

Another point I learned from AYP, which you may have read in AYP lessons as well, is that pranayama is preparing the nervous system (like tilling the nervous system for the seeds of silence) - without an accompanying meditation, you never know what kinds of seeds get sowed - could be of all the wrong ones of negativity, jealousy, constriction etc., and in a good, prepared soil they grow fast.

Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2016 :  2:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All,
Bhastrika can be dangerous for people with high blood pressure so some warnings should be given.
Sitaram, Sitaram.
Dave
Go to Top of Page

pranar

India
53 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2016 :  03:04:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Tread with caution if you have an awakened kundalini. Some of the kundalini yoga pranayamas like Sodarshan Chakra Kriya are VERY POWERFUL and can send you on a rollercoaster ride of a premature crown awakening. Not all yoga instructors have awakened kundalini so it's just another "yoga" practice to them (much like you cant understand an LSD experience without taking LSD).

Take care.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000