AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Can you focus on and Awaken the Witness first?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beetsmyth

USA
104 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2016 :  12:45:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit beetsmyth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Greetings,
I'm just wondering if you can focus on and awaken witness consciousness various through Yoga methods and go from there?

I notice in advaita, jnana, zen, and other buddhism branches how vital the witness consciousness is in order to use that as a platform to deconstruct all the false identifications and then to even surrender the witness.

From my yoga studies I know tha the witness evetually awakens/arises, however its at a later point in the path and I'm wondering, why not focus on that first

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2016 :  12:59:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2016 :  1:13:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi beetsmyth:

Yes, this is precisely the approach in AYP -- witness (abiding inner silence) cultivated first via daily deep meditation, and all the rest will follow.

As you point out, witness is the foundation for effective self-inquiry, regardless of method of inquiry chosen. In AYP, we call that "relational self-inquiry," released in stillness (an application of samyama). Before witness, self-inquiry is mostly in mind, building castles in the air. We call that "non-relational."

This is why the AYP system is structured the way it is, with deep meditation first and all the rest being added on afterwards, with self-inquiry being primarily in the later lessons for end stage spiritual development to unity/non-duality. Best to keep the horse in front of the cart.

It is an important point you raise and all who are involved in self-inquiry of any kind should take note.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

beetsmyth

USA
104 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2016 :  1:54:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit beetsmyth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Many Blessings Yogani and love and thanks for the reply.

Are there breathing practices that help awaken the witness, like breathing into the back of the head, or into/towards any specific areas? I've always had an intuitive sense of something going on with the back of the head and have both seen a purple/pinkish buddhist mandala there (at a time when I had nothing to do with buddhism, just simply investigating within) and also have found the back of the head can open up, like a portal, and consciousness can exit from there and sort of rest as a detached witness, along with have unity by exiting from the back of the head.

Also, yeah inquiry initially seems to be from the observer aspect of consciousness, which is habitually always seeking and more towards the front of the head and associated with the eyes as well.

The witness seems further back as if its pure attention combined with expanded awareness or maybe even deeper than that. Would be great to get your take on this.
Sending lots of Love

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2016 :  3:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi beetsmyth:

Located breathing techniques are primarily for awakening the inner energies (kundalini). Meditation is for cultivating the witness without any particular physical location, which we also call abiding inner silence, or pure bliss consciousness. If you review the AYP lessons from the beginning, you will see how we approach it. Sorry, the multitude of other systems and approaches that are out there I cannot advise much on.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000