Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Is Pranayama safe?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thatch19

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2016 :  11:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello there, I have a question about a pranayama technique that i was taught by a friend. I am not too knowledgeable about pranayama so this may be a simple question with a simple answer. The technique is practiced by laying on your back and then taking two breaths in through your mouth and one breath out through your mouth repeatedly for 20-30 minutes one day a week and then 5 minutes for the rest of the days. I did this routine for a few weeks a couple of months back and it really did wonders for calming anxious thoughts and producing an overriding sense of peace in everyday life. However, i have done reading about the possible dangers of oxygenating the blood in this manner, and in the book "light on Yoga" it says you really shouldn't try pranayama techniques without a teacher. After doing the practice, especially the thirty minute practice) i needed to just lay there for 10 minutes before i could walk or talk with any precision, which worried me in case i needed to be alert if there was an emergency of some kind. I trust the friend that taught me but I know she is no expert either. I would love if this could be a safe practice for me to continue because the results were awesome, just wanted to ask peoples opinion on its safety.

Thanks!
Max

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2016 :  11:56:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Can you please explain the breathing sequence again? I don't get it.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2016 :  12:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Thatch, welcome

quote:
The technique is practiced by laying on your back and then taking two breaths in through your mouth and one breath out through your mouth repeatedly for 20-30 minutes one day a week and then 5 minutes for the rest of the days.

This seems very unbalanced to me, loading up one day a week with a lot of pranayama. Pranayama indeed oxygenates the blood and lungs and excites prana within the body; twenty to thirty minutes of attentive breathing is an intensive exercise and can generate a lot of energy. It is important you rest as you do, but you are still courting trouble, especially if you are practicing no other yoga to acclimate your system to handle this increased energy. Yogani designed AYP with meditation first for this reason, to establish inner silence and Witness so that this foundation and better support the attentive breathing practices that come later. Energy running amok in an unprepared system can have long term consequences.

If you decide to continue regardless, I would recommend making everyday the same time wise, starting with a few minutes and gradually increasing time over the following weeks, so that you slowly acclimate your system. And definately rest another five or more minutes at the end of practice. Better yet, read through the main lessons here to see if it resonates with you. Edit: wording

Edited by - Dogboy on Feb 13 2016 12:12:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2016 :  11:21:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tatch and welcome,

Just would like to second and confirm Dogboy's words. You take risks if you practice this unbalanced way. Better find a good yoga teacher or take time to read the lessons of AYP. This way you can develop a steady practice and ask questions here about your experiences.

Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2016 :  12:49:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the AYP forum Max!

You have already got excellent advice from Dogboy and Charliedog.

You are right to be concerned. You are hyperventilating and the effects are pretty drastic. My advice is to stop doing this straight away.

You do not need to improvise, applying techniques handed down from who-knows-where. There are tried and tested systems of practice (AYP being one example) that you can access easily these days. It's not worth taking the risk you are taking with that breathing technique practiced in isolation.

Best wishes
Go to Top of Page

thatch19

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  10:21:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for the replies. Yeah that's why after practicing this for couple of weeks I stopped, although I felt good after doing them,something in my body was telling me it wasn't right. I've had a yoga practice for about 2 years now but generally just a home practice. Maybe it's about time to search out a yoga teacher so I can learn more about these exercising . Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  8:56:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi thatch19,

a general hint regarding pranayama the first months and years for smooth progress:

- avoid faster breathing patterns and also breath retentions (except for very small ones)
- instead go with slow long breaths that your body can easily handle

By this many problems will not arise and you will benefit from all the goods of increased lifeflow in the body-mind, purification of the nadis, enlivening of the chakras and their qualities, supreme digestion, joy, peace and more

Additionally you can increase the pranayama efficiency by directing its lifeflow through either physical movements or by your attention and with this, clearing specific nadis and chakras faster.

A good independant pranayama practice from hatha yoga is the classic known nadi sodhana, also known as alternate nostril breathing. There are endless sources to learn it, even on youtube. Skip the breath retentions and go with slow long breaths and you will have a good and smooth effect.

For more advanced body-mind purification, more than pranayama will be required.

Peace friend and happy practice!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000