Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Abahu Purusakaram,Sanskrit interpretation help ple
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anahata

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2016 :  10:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone, I am hoping for some help to find meaning to these Sanskrit words. Abahu Purusakaram , the direct translation to English is sometimes given as “taking the form of a man to the shoulders, (and a divine serpent).”
This doesn’t have any meaning to me. I am trying to interrupt in a way that does have meaning. Any ideas would be helpful. This is the 5th line of the Ashtanga opening Mantra. I have done the other lines in a way that has meaning to me. But I am not able to do this one.

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2016 :  12:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anahata,

I googled the phrase and read a translation. Here is my take on it - It's the offering of the human body to Truth. Offering the(your) practice that the (your)body does to the divine (Truth). It looks like it references each part/region of the body. In this case from the hand/shoulders to head.I may be totally wrong.

From the dual perspective, one is offering the practices to the divine. From non dual, there is just the joy of practice.
The Divine/Joy is "It" in both perspective.

Sunyata

Edited by - sunyata on Feb 05 2016 1:20:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Anahata

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2016 :  09:14:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, thank you. Your answer fits very well. It is almost like you knew what I was looking for.
Sometimes there are references given to different regions of the body but I don't have a need to include those ideas at this time.

I have looked around this website a little and it seems like a wonderful community.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000