New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ricshastra

Spain
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  05:51:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello ereryone! I have a question, can a pregnant woman start to practice deep meditation? and spinal breathing?
Thank you

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  07:56:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, I don't see any reason why a pregnant woman should, but more advanced members will certainly give you good advices.

What I heard from my teacher is that some asanas are not good during pregnancy.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  11:36:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In pregnancy, what is good/healthy for the mother should translate into being good/healthy for the child. I would vote yes and gently proceed as you would be self pacing for two.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  11:44:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

I practiced both during my pregnancy and prenatal asanas as well. I would double check and get clearance from the Doctor. Good Luck.

Go to Top of Page

Ricshastra

Spain
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  12:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh yes, thank you all of you, for the sharing. Asanas of course are practised during pregnancy, also some lighths breathing exercises and breathing meditation as well. My doubt was about the use of the mantra. If it could be a little bit strong during pregnancy. I don't know. I supposse that is a question of self pacing and prudence. And also with spinal breathing, which in a way is a pranic cleansing tecnique. Does anybody else know something about this?
Again, thank you.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  1:12:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Selfpacing when necessary like any other time~ mantra meditation should be okay.
Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  1:48:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ricshastra,

If you're just getting started with practices it's advised to practice deep meditation only at first. This advice is also given if we're not pregnant. Once stable in the meditation practice, spinal breathing can be added. That may happen to be after 9 months or more :)

If you decide to add spinal breathing at some point within the pregnancy, do just a couple of minutes even if it feels wonderful. It's very easy to overdo on that one without realizing. Better to start light and add more later on.

From your last post it seems you already have several practices going on? It can easily add up if you include all of these and add new practices so keep it light with the new ones!

Oh.. If you're the one pregnant, congratulations!

Edited by - Omsat on Jan 09 2016 2:01:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  5:29:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In different traditions where something close to spinal breathing is practiced it is advised that women do not practice the Pranayama at all until after the child is born.

But I think Sunyata probably knows better than anyone.

Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  8:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good advice from Omsat.

So-Hi~ Do you know why they advise not to practice? My guess is a Woman's body is already going through transformation. Pranayam cleanses the nadis and may overload.

Bhakti took me over during both pregnancies. I listened to Kirtans almost all day, heart was overflowing.. Went through spontaneous awakening with the first pregnancy. I did my regular practice with second pregnancy.

P.S.Listening to Kirtans all day is not recommended in AYP.

Edited by - sunyata on Jan 09 2016 8:55:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ricshastra

Spain
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2016 :  11:50:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a very beautiful feeling to be helped by all of you sharing yor experiencies and points of view.
Thank you. The info is being of a great use.
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2016 :  1:23:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sunyata the only answer I received when I asked why was that the Pranayama works directly with the life force in the body and it was not good because of this to do during pregnancy.

As far as I was concerned that was a no answer answer that explained the action of pranayama but fell on it's face with " No Good "

This of course was from a man and as far as I am concerned us meaning us men need to differ to the ladies on this as we clearly have not a clue.

It could have also been some type of cultural thing or something passed down from the founder or a combination of both but the person speaking was a bit combative when questioned and it was clear more questioning would not be welcome.

What they were trying to convey was more along the lines of health issues than overload issues.

Anyway I will go with what Sunyata as a yogini and a Mom has to say.

For sure we know it is authoritative by one who knows by doing.

quote:
Originally posted by sunyata

Good advice from Omsat.

So-Hi~ Do you know why they advise not to practice? My guess is a Woman's body is already going through transformation. Pranayam cleanses the nadis and may overload.

Bhakti took me over during both pregnancies. I listened to Kirtans almost all day, heart was overflowing.. Went through spontaneous awakening with the first pregnancy. I did my regular practice with second pregnancy.

P.S.Listening to Kirtans all day is not recommended in AYP.

Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2016 :  3:23:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi So-Hi,

You are right, it's probably cultural and for health reasons. The basic spinal breathing seems fine. But the more intense types of Pranayama may be best not to practice during pregnancy.

Edited by - sunyata on Jan 10 2016 3:45:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2016 :  07:42:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ricshastra,

Congratulations! I did mantra meditation during my two pregnancies. My teacher used to say that during pregnancy the prana energy is twice as intense, as there are two people sharing the same body. I did not do spinal breathing, just some full yogic breaths most of the days.

Also, it is said that bhadrasana practiced for one hour daily during pregnancy makes giving birth easy and painless. I sat in bhadrasana for at least an hour daily during the last two months of each pregnancy, while watching TV or reading. Both deliveries went without complications and relatively fast.

Best wishes for mom and baby!
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2016 :  08:13:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You for sharing Blanche. I did notice that. How about your nursing days? The ecstatic conductivity was very powerful here.

Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2016 :  09:05:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sunyata,

It does sound like your bhakti ran high for you during pregnancy and nursing - and even now, isn't it? Yes, I noticed too that nursing days and the first years with the babies had many ecstatic moments. However, nursing made difficult for me to meditate - nursing takes up most of the day for the first months, taking care of a baby goes around the clock, and goimg deep in meditation and becoming oblivious to the surroundings is not really an option. Of course, baies grow up, and mom gets more time to do other things.

Sunyata, do you think that meditation has had an effect on your children?
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2016 :  10:14:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blanche,

Yes, the bhakti is very strong here. Bhakti has spilled in all areas of my life. I kept up my practices during the nursing days as well. Sometimes I would just practice when nursing. Not ideal,like you mentioned not being able to become oblivious. It had just become part of my routine.

quote:
Sunyata, do you think that meditation has had an effect on your children?

In what ways? Mine are still young- 4 years and 23 months. So it's hard to tell. All kids are special. Like I mentioned, my awakening (seeing through the veil) happened with my first pregnancy. I've always received comments from others how there is something special/different about him. But then everyone is special. I'm curious to see what they are going to grow up to be. I was surprised they were not born singing Krishna Das's Kirtans.. Other than that they are rambunctious preschooler and toddler. It's such a divine experience being a Mother. How about your children?

Edited by - sunyata on Jan 13 2016 10:16:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2016 :  07:48:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
iHi Sunyata,
Here we have two teenagers, and while they go through the normal developmental stages, they are happy people. Over the years, we have got many comments like "They are so happy!, "I wish I were as happy as they are!"

Greetings to the Divine Mother in you!
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2016 :  11:10:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Hi Sunyata,
Here we have two teenagers, and while they go through the normal developmental stages, they are happy people. Over the years, we have got many comments like "They are so happy!, "I wish I were as happy as they are!"

Greetings to the Divine Mother in you!

Hi Blanche,

Such lovely comments. Looks like your practice has affected your children. Did you teach them meditation? Once the 4 year old turns 5, I was thinking of starting to teach him to meditate.Every now and then, I'll ask him if he wants to meditate with me. He'll close his eyes and he's done in 5 seconds.. We do asanas together sometimes. to the Divine Mother in you as well.

Edited by - sunyata on Jan 14 2016 11:14:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jayleno214

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2016 :  12:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My thoughts on this are that since the fetus is already doing full blown amaroli 24/7, its only logical to expect SB and DM to be beneficial. If uve ever done amaroli you know it is organic jet fuel for our bodies. Therefore Cleansing the spinal nerve and bringing the mind to silence are drops of water to the cannonball of amaroli in terms of effects.

You cant get any more intense than being in a [positvely] cataclysmic liquid 24/7. DM and SB are godsends for the baby.

Im male. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by - Jayleno214 on Jan 14 2016 2:02:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  07:58:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sunyata,

My children have done asanas and some full yogic breathing. The older one is starting to meditate a bit - breathing meditation. I offer information, but it is now up to them to get into a regular practice. Interesting, they do resonate with various states that we, the parents, experience - the things they say sometimes leave us speachless...

Yes, Jayleno, amaroli is powerful. Also, the children remember better the true nature of reality, their experience of this world has not clogged the view yet. If you spend time around a child, you will see how he/she resonates with your state of consciousness.

I wonder what other parents think about this subject.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  10:39:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
My children have done asanas and some full yogic breathing. The older one is starting to meditate a bit - breathing meditation. I offer information, but it is now up to them to get into a regular practice. Interesting, they do resonate with various states that we, the parents, experience - the things they say sometimes leave us speachless...

quote:
I wonder what other parents think about this subject.

Yes, would love to hear from other parents.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  11:29:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well i became for the first time mother at the young age of one day 21. Totally not inclined in spirituality, and however my daughter was very welcome it was difficult. It was a terrible delivery and ended in a C section. I saw her for the first time after 3 day's.

It was difficult for me to be a mum, and I felt quilty about that. I thought I would never give birth to another child because I felt myself a bad mother, but then after a few years, my heart really opened I could remember the day, my daughter was happy running to me and I felt this huge love for her. That was the day I became a real mother I suppose.

With my daughter I have lately very deep conversations, she doesn't like yoga or meditation, but
we opened up to each other, especially when she became a mother herself. She told me some years ago, because I was talking more spiritual, this helped her to give words to all that she felt already inside. She has two children of her own and that are also beautiful and very wise human beings. They leave me often speechless......

I gave birth to my son 6 years later, was in love with him from day one. My son is a very wise and spiritual human being, born that way. There are no illusions for him, he is not inclined in practices, although I know that he will one day. I see that it is sometimes not easy for him to be in the world, I see that he need practice but it has to come from himself. He know's it could help him, sometimes he makes a joke to me, but he means it.

Like Blanche I offer information, but it is up to them. Some months ago we had a family weekend in a beach house, I offered every morning yoga to the whole family. It was touching to see how everyone did his or her best.

Edited by - Charliedog on Jan 15 2016 11:40:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  12:56:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You for sharing Charliedog.. C sections are not fun and looks like you went through a lot with your first pregnancy. Don't you feel everything happened for you to be in the place where you are today.
That's what I feel when I look back at my life.

Edited by - sunyata on Jan 15 2016 12:57:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2016 :  03:10:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So true Sunyata......
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2016 :  08:57:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for sharing, Charliedog.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2016 :  11:16:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We are all children still
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000