Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 10' with mantra vs 20' with breath
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dofa66

France
46 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2015 :  07:49:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi AYPers!

I've been doing DM with the AYAM mantra on and off for 2 years now. Further to several trials and adjustments, and having read lesson #367, I know that I am oversensitive and cannot do DM with the AYAM mantra more than 10 minutes in a row. So I'm doing my 10 minutes twice a day now.

Sometime ago I tried alternative methods including attention to the breath, as suggested in lesson #367, and I could indeed meditate for longer periods with this one without experiencing oversensitiveness symptoms. So I am wandering which practice is recommended in my case: keep on doing 10 minutes with AYAM or rather 20 minutes with breath?

Thank you for your suggestions (one from Yogani himself would be great )

Blanche

USA
861 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2015 :  9:04:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dofa,

Mantra meditation takes you inside faster than the breath meditation, and it is very efficient in doing the "inside cleaning." Breath meditation is gentler, but also slower, and it does work better if one has an experienced guide to advise on the best course of meditation. If I were you, I would stay with the mantra meditation.

You might want to read again the lessons dealing with oversensitivity and grounding. Are you exercising every day? How is your diet? Do you sleep enough? Meditation brings and releases a lot of energy, and one has to take care of the "vessel" of the body-mind to be able to handle the energy increase.

Let us know how you are doing. Best wishes for the chosen path!
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2015 :  10:41:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Blanche, stay with the shorter mantra meditation and stablize at ten minutes. Oversensitivity could be temporary (be open to that), a result of purification, and you can always drop back into breath meditation if symptoms are increasing or become uncomfortable. I am curious about what your over sensitivity symptoms are, and how uncomfortable they are in your everyday life. As your neurobiology refines you should feel something; for me it often manifests as a sensation of "hat wearing" in my skull that comes and goes throughout the day. It is a sign things are progressing for me. The call for self pacing for me is when my mood sours, a sure sign to scale back practice for a day or two.
Go to Top of Page

dofa66

France
46 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2015 :  12:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Blanche and Dogboy for your answers and recommendation. As far as your questions are concerned:

- Grounding and diet: I go to the gym 3 times a week, sleep enough, and have a standard diet (for a French guy )

- Over sensitivity symptoms: when I first started AYP DM 2 years ago, I jumped directly to the nominal 2 x 20mn per day of DM with the AYAM mantra. Often during my DM sessions I had a very strange feeling in the prefrontal cortex, a kind of reversal or rollover sensation. After a few weeks, my mind felt more and more numb in my everyday life, reaching a stage where I could not do my job efficiently. So I backed off. I have been experiencing different durations and also different meditation methods since then. It appeared that any duration beyond 10mn with the AYAM mantra soon leads to this strange feeling in the prefrontal cortex, and also a kind of swarming / twikling on the forehead. So I stay at 10 mn for the moment, and will see.

I understand from your answers that 10 mn with AYAM is better than 20 mn with breath anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2015 :  2:54:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would also chose the more powerful method (DM) AND appreciate that I only have to do 10' of it to reach my purification limit.

In fact, if there was a method so powerful that I can do only 1', well, that would be my choice!
Go to Top of Page

dofa66

France
46 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2015 :  3:48:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000