New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2015 :  11:31:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Since I started adding SBP to DM, I've used a meditation timer to set up 5 minutes SBP and 15 minutes DM, and to vary them to see if it's better in different proportions. Lately (past year) I've been having trouble with the timers, which are iPhone apps. Between the new versions of the iPhone operating system, bad software updates, and other apps designed differently, I'm having trouble finding a good timer.

What I want is to start it for 20 minutes total, with one interval bell at 5 minutes, and one final bell at 20 minutes. What I get is an interval bell every 5 minutes, and a final bell at 20 minutes. Not what I need!

Are any of you using a timer, and do you find the same multiple interval problem? What products do you find to work for you?

Back in my TM days I just used a wristwatch and peeked at it.

Please let me know what solutions work for you!

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2015 :  01:35:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ken, try Insight Timer - you can set the bells as you want and store different presets for your AYP routines, the sound is great, you have a log of your sessions which is very helpful during self-pacing phases, and you have a huge users community 'behind' that app. I tried many iPhone timers, and Insight Timer is my choice.
Go to Top of Page

Apkallu

France
108 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2015 :  07:33:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ecdyonurus

Hi Ken, try Insight Timer - you can set the bells as you want and store different presets for your AYP routines, the sound is great, you have a log of your sessions which is very helpful during self-pacing phases, and you have a huge users community 'behind' that app. I tried many iPhone timers, and Insight Timer is my choice.

Maybe I am wrong, but Insight Timer just proposes the same multiple interval between bells

It annoyed me in the beginning but honestly, I find it interesting to get intermediate milestones between practices.
Happy to know for instance if i am in the middle of DM or wherever you want

With the habit, I can now switch of practices or end them a few seconds before the gong(s) ;)

Just an example :

Intervall Bell every 11 minutes with non ending bells at the end of the session:
Pranayama : 5 minutes => easy to start medidation after more or less five minutes without hearing anything.
DM : 20 minutes ==> stopping it few minutes after the 2nd gong
Samyama: etc.

Non ending bells every 10 seconds : time to stop my friend ;)
Can be put at the end of the rest time not to get asleep and wake up at 4am in your sofa
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2015 :  07:41:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Ecdyonurus, for your helpful spirit. I think in my initial message I forgot to mention what is for me a significant point - I do not want a timer I have to log-in to. That log-in has no benefit for me, and I do not log my SBP/DM sessions, nor my extended Asana sessions.

Insight is the last one I selected, and I used it happily for something like a year. In the previous version it did everything I wanted without requiring a log-in. The latest update requires a log-in. I cannot get past the log-in screen, and it will not let me use it for simple timing without logging in and identifying myself.

I have had the experience of being hacked on a social media site. I tend to avoid new ones where there is no tangible benefit. "Sharing" is not enough.

I do not need another community for yoga. I have all of you here, and I have my local Iyengar group. For me, this is not an activity with performance metrics other than to learn, follow, and manage my process.
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2015 :  08:50:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@Apkallu, What version of Insight are you using?
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2015 :  09:41:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Apkallu, you are wrong, with Insight Timer you can set the bells exactly as you want according to your personal AYP routine. For example, in one of my current presets I have a bell at minutes 0, 7, 8, 22, and 31. This corresponds to 7' of SBP, a short break of 1' before starting DM, followed by 14' of DM and finally 9' of rest.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2015 :  09:56:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ken, I understand your point of view about apps that require a log-in.

But I don't agree with you about monitoring/logging yoga sessions. I find the log file of that app very helpful when I am self-pacing: it shows me very clearly how long and how regular I am doing a shorter routine, so that I really can wait some weeks before doing longer routines again. Without the log file, it would be very tempting to self-pace for some days and then go back to the usual routine too fast. Sure, one could also use a simple notebook and a pen, but the timer app does that work for you anyway so it is good to use it. Of course, the logs and milestones on the app should not become something one proudly shows th his/her friends on social medias.

Edited by - Ecdyonurus on Nov 27 2015 10:25:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Apkallu

France
108 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2015 :  10:24:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember seeing v1.5
As it is currently and progressively upgrading, not sure if it is the new or next version
I logged the first time but never once again. Quite weird. Missed the appropriate checkbox ?
I use the app on both my ipads but as I have no recent phone, I miss complete statistics and don't care by the way ;)

I am part of the AYP group in the app.
Feel free to join if you change your mind !
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2015 :  8:56:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ecdyonurus, I can see that point, that logging helps you in overall management. I'm not to that point yet, I'm still working on must being daily.

@Apkallu, it might indeed be nice to connect to a group of AYP users. Of the timers that will not do single intervals, I have felt that Insight is the best I've seen so far. But I've discovered a few more to try: Samsara, Enso, Mind Timer, and Zen Timer.
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2015 :  9:00:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Apkallu

I remember seeing v1.5
As it is currently and progressively upgrading, not sure if it is the new or next version
I logged the first time but never once again. Quite weird. Missed the appropriate checkbox ?
I use the app on both my ipads but as I have no recent phone, I miss complete statistics and don't care by the way ;)

I am part of the AYP group in the app.
Feel free to join if you change your mind !

Apkallu, The version I have is called 12.1.9, dated November 24, 2015. If you try it, don't lose the old one.
Go to Top of Page

jigjnasu

France
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2015 :  1:51:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello

I am using the default app on my android for now, but because it continue ringing or vibrating till I switch it off, its kind of buzz me off

I am a developper and was playing with the idea to make an app that fits my taste (mostly for fun).

If you have suggestion for me and/or if you want the app when done thats will be most welcome (could make it compatible iPhone perhaps if someone want)

Some day I will try to not use timers but for now ..

Best wishes
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2015 :  12:04:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is an AYP group on Insight Timer.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2015 :  3:15:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
BT:
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2015 :  2:36:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi So-Hi, why do you call that "invasive"? I mean. in IT you just register like you do in every forum, I don't see any invasive business behind that.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2015 :  04:39:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

There is a difference.

In the case of signing into a forum you have a choice participate or not.

[...]

In the case of this software the choice was removed in an update with the end result being either sign in or you can not use it.

When I purchased the software it was not this way.

I understand your reaction on this aspect now.

quote:

Based on this dishonest behavior I do not trust this developer with any information.

Therefore intrusive by forcing people to use there servers to retain data of the apps usage.

Are you sure that this change happened for dishonest business reasons? I don't think that your statement is fair, unless you have some evidence that the app developers are selling the users data to some other companies.

The developers clearly stated that they did it in order to allow users to synchronize data when using different devices, which seems to be a requirement expressed by many users.

But on a more basic level, I don't see how the app developers could use my data for any hidden or dishonest business purposes. I mean, all they know about me is an e-mail adress and a nickname of me, that I belong to the AYP Group like about 300 other app users, and that I use the timer twice a day since 2 years. They don't even know what I actually do when I am using their app - I may use it as a timer for my gym workout, for baking my bread, or whatever including pretendig to be a meditator.

My bank, my credit card provider or my internet provider know much more about me than this app. Even the few posts I wrote on this public forum give far more informations about me.

Nowadays, if one wants to be sure that his/her electronic data cannot be misused, well, he/she has to cut/avoid all modern communication systems.

Just my opinion, of course.
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2015 :  08:43:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
G'Day Ecdyonurus.
Go to Top of Page

jigjnasu

France
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2015 :  08:49:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am testing Insight timer (free version) for two days.

Thats a lot better than the android timer app and the social aspect is quite fun. But I do find it too much influenced by the business strategy.

Feel like basic features should be usable without paying or being connected (e.g: Intervals, presets, statistics, ..) only the social aspect need a logon all that remain could be fully local without technical difficulty whatsoever.

Thats still a good app, login is not so bad and again social aspect is really fun, but still that kind of bother me a little.

Don't believe that users informations are sold though, thats just needed for social features, moreover that is not critical informations, that being said I would like to have the choice.

Still have fun with this app

Edited by - jigjnasu on Dec 11 2015 1:48:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  07:58:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good morning, all!

For the time being I'm using Enso. Nice chimes, for one thing.

Regarding the sociality:

I do not want extra technology in my life. I have been a technology professional for at least 40 years, in preparation for engineering school and in my career. Every day I need to expose myself to new ideas that have not been publicized before and to consider converting them or using them in product design or product safety. Now I engineer new automotive electronics to ensure that the behavior of software running critical systems (steering, engine, brakes, lighting) cannot fail and cause any hazardous results. At home I have some technology, but I am never motivated to think at home the way I think at work (unless it's about bicycles ). I do not want the bother of deciding if the software company that decided their business case means I have to log in. I just want to sit down and do my AYP.

Among the beauties of yoga is the fact that it does not need technology, and it may be that I really don't need a timer. It's enough technology for me to use this forum to talk and learn. I don't want to analyze the potential for risk in joining yet another social network that provides little benefit.

If to require on-line connection and a log-in is the business decision of Insight, then their mission does not align with mine. For me that's it for the log-in issue. I do not wish to be a systems engineer at home. I want to be a yogi, singer, and cyclist.

Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  10:33:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ken, may I ask you if separating what you are at home from what you
are in jour job made you happy?

I ask because my point of view and way of living is completely different: in the last years the boundary between private/home/family life and public/job life has dissolved more and more. And I feel better this way.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  10:54:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

in the last years the boundary between private/home/family life and public/job life has dissolved more and more. And I feel better this way.

Totally resonates with my experience. Thank you for posting that.
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  12:07:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ecdyonurus,

It is better for me this way, thanks for asking. I'd also like to say that engineer yogi, singer, and cyclist are all what I am - I do not see this as dividing myself. But I am taking more control of my time.

My experience with eliminating the office boundaries is not more unity, but dangerous fatigue, poor nutrition, faltering family life, and yearning to pay attention to my avocations. The employer may not have a problem with me bringing the office home, but they do have a problem with me bringing the home to the office. What you suggest sounds nice, but it is not a two-way street. I lost balance.
Go to Top of Page

Apkallu

France
108 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2016 :  10:32:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Apkallu, The version I have is called 12.1.9, dated November 24, 2015. If you try it, don't lose the old one.

Well I think I have the last version (lot of "white") since weeks and still, I do not need to log in.

But all these social network things/features are not for me.
Go to Top of Page

Filipo1

Switzerland
21 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2016 :  3:05:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, just one more suggestion for Android users: ZazenMeditationTimer, available from google play store. You can settle different session types, with different time intervals and nice choice of bells. In addition and contrary to my former experience with similar apps on the iPhone, the bells will ring even when your smartphone is in silence mode.

All the best.
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - May 08 2016 :  11:49:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure you're all wondering, what happened?

The answer is, I tried Equanimity again. I purged it from the iPhone as much as possible, downloaded again, and I found it again works as I wanted. So unless things change again, I again have a timer that suits the AYP sequence, as far as I am concerned.
Go to Top of Page

Yoana

Sweden
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2016 :  05:22:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for the advice about the Insight Timer! I find it for very good and handy app!

quote:

Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2016 :  09:42:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks will give Equanimity a try.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000