Tantra - A Holistic View of Spiritual Development
 What is Tantra?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yogishankar

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2015 :  11:37:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
What is Tantra? I have attempted to explain in simple, layman terms. (This is copy paste of my FB post)

Tantra is all about shakti. Shakti means energy.

Tantric masters discovered long ago that success in both the outer world and the spiritual realm is possible only if we awaken our latent power, because any meaningful accomplishment, and especially the attainment of the ultimate spiritual goal, requires great strength and stamina.

The key to success is shakti - the power of soul, the power of the divine force within. Everyone possesses an infinite (and indomitable) shakti, but for the most part it remains dormant. And those whose shakti is largely unawakened have neither the capacity to be successful in the world nor the capacity to enjoy worldly pleasures. Without access to our shakti, true spiritual illumination is not possible.

Awakening and using shakti is the goal of tantra, and this is why tantra sadhana is also known as shakti sadhana.
Tantra is widely misunderstood, however. Many enthusiasts in both the West and the East mistakenly believe it to be the yoga of sex, black magic, witchcraft, seduction, and influencing the minds of others, a confusion that has arisen partly because tantra is a science as well as a spiritual path.

As a spiritual path it emphasizes purification of the mind and heart and the cultivation of a spiritually illuminating philosophy of life. As a science, however, it experiments with techniques whose effectiveness depends on the precise application of mantra and yantra, ritual use of specific materials, performance of tantric mudras, and accompanying mental exercises.

Such practices can be thought of as tantric formulas - they will yield a result if properly applied, regardless of the character, spiritual understanding, or intention of the practitioner. And when this scientific aspect of tantra falls into the hands of charlatans it is inevitably misused, giving tantra a bad name in the East and sensationalizing it in the West. It is not hard to find people who have learned to use a few tantric formulas to startling effect. It is far more difficult to find genuine tantric masters and authentic scriptures to undercut such distorted notions. Difficult, but fortunately not impossible: genuine masters and scriptures do exist, and by gaining access to them it becomes possible to cultivate an understanding of this complicated path in all its richness.

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2015 :  12:43:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice post - thank you!
Go to Top of Page

siddhi

India
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2016 :  07:48:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
very good information Thank you
Go to Top of Page

rakesh187

India
8 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2016 :  03:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bang on !
Tantra is certainly not "Sex retreats"
Most of the West understand it as "sex massage" etc. which is not true . Surprisingly, even in this forum I saw many such threads which are irrelevant to tantra !
Tantra is based on shakti worship and the methods prescribed in Agama shastras.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2016 :  09:06:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by rakesh187

Surprisingly, even in this forum I saw many such threads which are irrelevant to tantra !

Hi rakesh187,

Welcome to the forum!

As you have noticed AYP is very tolerant. Tolerance is one of the many fruits of our practice. Tantra is definitely not about being promiscuous but at the same time it’s not about suppression and it’s not a Taboo. Both of these views have created a lot of pain in this world.

It’s about honoring this body (divine yantra). Through this process we heal, let go and merge with all. I’m not sure if you have had a chance to go through AYP Tantra lessons. Yogani has written them from a place of Love, Truth, Experience, Honesty, and Respect. I highly recommend them.

Go to Top of Page

rakesh187

India
8 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2016 :  3:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sunyata

quote:
Originally posted by rakesh187

Surprisingly, even in this forum I saw many such threads which are irrelevant to tantra !

Hi rakesh187,

Welcome to the forum!

As you have noticed AYP is very tolerant. Tolerance is one of the many fruits of our practice. Tantra is definitely not about being promiscuous but at the same time it’s not about suppression and it’s not a Taboo. Both of these views have created a lot of pain in this world.

It’s about honoring this body (divine yantra). Through this process we heal, let go and merge with all. I’m not sure if you have had a chance to go through AYP Tantra lessons. Yogani has written them from a place of Love, Truth, Experience, Honesty, and Respect. I highly recommend them.

I am just talking about some of the threads though. As I saw them under the section of tantra.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2016 :  7:51:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rakesh,

Welcome to the forum.

You can find a broad description of Tantra Yoga here, including how it relates to sexual spiritual practices:

What is Tantra?

Christi
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2016 :  9:19:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Rakesh-

Thank you, Christi.
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2016 :  10:06:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Early this year when I visited my guru in India I asked for the classic explanation of Tantra. He spoke for about an hour and only mentioned the sexual side of Tantra at the very end in about 1 sentence.He wasn't discussing the techniques but the classic Tantra.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000