Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Pace of samyama sutras?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

loren

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2015 :  08:11:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am regularly practicing SB and DM, I added samyama last winter. One issue that eventually appeared was my mind's constant roaming during the 15 second absorption period after each sutra repetition, typically I would be searching for the next sutra on the list. Obviously this interferes with what I am doing i.e. letting go of the sutra into silence. Mind chatter to be sure, some days would be quiet and the roaming wasn't going on but most days were a struggle.

After some digging into Yogani's writings, I decided this is a "pacing" issue for me. So, I've recently started a new ordering of practice, using just three sutras per day instead of nine. On Mondays I practice Love-Radiance-Akasha, on Tuesdays Unity-Health-Akasha etc. This pace requires 4 days to complete the entire list of sutras. It's allowed me to slow down and savor each sutra repetition, but of course I am not covering much ground on any given day.

Does anyone think this approach is defeating the purpose of practicing AYP's nine set of sutras? I understand they're intended to create balance in the nervous system if practiced together but the pace of this 4 day practice is so fragmented I am wondering if I should increase pace?

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2015 :  09:18:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum. You don't have to be particular about how long things should be spaced. Your inner guru will decide it for you. What I do is to mentally say the word at the beginning of an out breath and repeat it at the next out breath. One cycle would be around 15 seconds approximately for me. Your mileage may vary.
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2015 :  10:14:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Loren,

I think you will be fine.

Most people even when trying to do all of them find they pass out after about the 3rd one.

If that is ok, then you only doing 4 a day should be fine also.

All the best,

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2015 :  11:36:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Doing some is progress over doing none at all. It's all good
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2015 :  01:28:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't worry about it. Samyama evolves over time...a long time. So take your time to get to no time... LOL.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2015 :  7:49:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Loren!

You said that your mind was roaming looking for the next sutra. If sounds to me that it might be a memory thing. Our memory has a limited capacity - it usually remembers about 7-9 items. This means that 9 sutras are pushing the memory a bit. The 9 sutras are easier to remember if you memorize them in 3 groups of three sutras each:

Love/Radiance/Unity
Health/Strength/Abundance
Wisdom/Inner Sensuality/Akasha

In this way, the memory has to remember only 3 units, which is quite easy.
Best wishes for your practice!

Edited by - Blanche on Nov 08 2015 8:11:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Apkallu

France
108 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2015 :  08:15:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Really interesting.
I face the same issue since the time I began Samyama (thus months ago...)

I do not think this is a memory issue even if it can be for some people.
I was able to memorize almost one hundred pages when I was 20 and I can still memorize 9 words but I face the exact same issue to the point that my Samayama time can last 20 minutes.

I have thus done the same : reduce the list or just stop when I am roaming too much or feeling discomfort.

Bye
Go to Top of Page

loren

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2015 :  08:31:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
All of these responses are helpful, thanks. Since I posted my question, I've decided this maybe "performance anxiety", not memory loss. While I'm not aware of a specific issue related to failing to achieve results, I've been affected in the past by similar issues in my work. So, it would make sense that my mind is falling into this trap. The tone of your responses is exactly opposite to what I typically do ie don't get anxious about pace, style or results. This is going to be a major learning in letting go, for sure.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000