Bhakti and Karma Yoga
 Sacred
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2015 :  6:34:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I was hoping in this topic we could discuss what we would define as sacred. A person, religious figure, act, something in nature? What do find sacred?

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2015 :  8:30:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Forgive me, but I have to quote Whitman on the matter:

And I say to mankind: Be not curious about God,
For I, who am curious about each, am not curious about God,
(No array of terms can say how much I am at peace about God and about death.)

I hear and behold God in every object, yet understand God not in the least,
Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself.

Why should I wish to see God better than this day?
I see something of God each hour of the twenty-four, and each moment then,
In the faces of men and women I see God, and in my own face in the glass,
I find letters from God dropped in the street, and every one is signed by God's name,
And I leave them where they are, for I know that wheresoever I go,
Others will punctually come for ever and ever.

In the same sense that Yogani says (paraphrasing Einstein, I believe) that all of creation is a miracle (not just some of it), so does Whitman say that everything is sacred and divine. Of course, we put attention on certain things, and label them to be special, and that's fine, but more and more, I see each nano-particle and speck of dust to be truly sacred.

One time I went to the Florida Aquarium in Tampa, and they had an exhibit of leafy sea dragons (http://www.divegallery.com/Leafy_Sea_Dragon.htm). I was in such awe of these creatures and immediately considered them sacred. I thought: how could I harm or eat one of these? They're too beautiful. But I've eaten plenty of other seafood and mammals, and why should one be more sacred than the other? It is just a matter of aesthetic preference and perception of beauty, as well as intention and action.

Even so, certain people and places will always be a bit more favored than others, so I understand the need to highlight particular shades and colors within sacredness.

Great questions, lalow33. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2015 :  04:13:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I like questions like this, because that gives me the opportunity to get it clear for myself.

The Sacred Journey

As a child I saw all as Sacredness, Love. One day there was too much pain and I closed myself down, separated myself from the all. Many years went by, seeing beauty, seeing love, seeing ugliness, hate, but never at the same moment.

One day I woke up, and from that day I saw this The Sacred Journey very clear.
I saw the Earth as Sacred, the Moon, the Stars, Nature. There was Love or the Sacred in all Creatures, I could see that what I found in myself in all eyes. I can not say it happened in one day, it took some time. I started to love MySelf.

Thank you lalow33

edit wording

Edited by - Charliedog on Oct 31 2015 06:06:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2015 :  08:15:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Charliedog

I started to love MySelf.

A perfect description of transformation.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2015 :  02:41:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@ Bodhi, thank for sharing those mysterious creatures, they are so beautiful.

@ lalow33, what do you define as sacred ?

Go to Top of Page

Purohit

India
43 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2015 :  11:41:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For me, the Female Form has become the most sacred.

Before beginning sadhana a favorite quote was " I hate Girls " and there was a sadisitical enjoyment in saying that.

And now it's like a form of worship has come over, i mentally prostate to most women i come across. And i keep telling anyone who is willing to listen ( including my mom) that a woman is none other than the Divine Shakti personified.

A belief has got formed that if the woman in the house is happy and pleased, good providence becomes available to that house and family.

Many a times while walking, i may stop when a very attractive form comes in view and a desire gets formed of worshipping it...

Interestingly this feeling of respect increases in proportion to retention of brahmcharya (AYP).

Edited by - Purohit on Nov 23 2015 11:53:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  07:30:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful replies. Not much to add, but let me join you anyway.
Like Charliedog, I think 'sacred' is a way of looking at the world. In the same way you can see the bottle as half full or half empty, one ca see the world as sacred or mundane. It's in the eye of the beholder.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  07:51:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Like Charliedog, I think 'sacred' is a way of looking at the world. In the same way you can see the bottle as half full or half empty, one ca see the world as sacred or mundane. .

Yes
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000