Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 how useful are mantras?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

psysaucer

India
44 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2015 :  08:54:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Does chanting a mantra over a long period of time enhance ones spiritual perception or does it just numb our minds? Even if it is somewhat useful to chanting mantras, does the potency depend on what you are chanting or could you achieve the same results chanting just about any random phrase?

There's this belief in shaivaite circles in India that just by chanting aum namah shivaya 108 times for 40 days would rip your ego apart

Edited by - AYPforum on Aug 14 2015 1:28:01 PM

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2015 :  09:38:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI psysaucer

Have you had a go at reading the lessons on this website? More than worth a read even if you follow a different tradition. You will find the answers to your questions in there - what mantras do, the usefulness of chanting, milestones on our yoga journey (that will give you the answer to your last question).
Go to Top of Page

psysaucer

India
44 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2015 :  10:38:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks blueraincoat,
I beleve i have read most of the lessons even if iwouldnt say i necessarily practice all of them. i understand that deep meditation and samayama involve the use of mantras. but i guess i still was not sure about the power as it were of the mantra itself independent of the intensity or awareness of the practitioner when chanting them.

im sure the common consenus in ayp would be that the major factor is the awareness of the meditator more than the mantra and i couldn agree more. just that in many traditional spiritual practices certain mantras are regarded with great reverance an i was wonderig what it was all about
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2015 :  11:52:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Psysaucer,

The effectiveness of mantras depends very much on how you use them. They are more powerful when the mind is quiet, which is why they are used with meditation in AYP yoga. Different mantras have different effects on the subtle body, so you need to know how to use them and when. All of this is covered in the AYP lessons.

See this lesson on the different effects of mantras when used in meditation:

Mantra Design 101 and Third enhancement of mantra.

It is also possible to use mantras in other ways which will simply dull the mind, rather than bringing about increased awareness and clarity and purification. See this topic on that:

Krishnamurti, Meditation and Mantras

Christi
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2015 :  1:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2015 :  4:32:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As Yogani has said, you can refine "banana" to a deep level of stillness. Any word is simply a vibration, and all vibrations emanate from the same source, which is stillness. The mantra happens to be a nice seed sound, but the process of refinement is what makes the mantra effective.

There's a big difference between handing a tennis racket to Roger Federer (often considered the greatest player in the world) than handing the same racket to a teenager just learning to play. The racket may be exactly the same, but the skill level will make all the difference. It is similar with using the mantra in Deep Meditation. Only with consistent and persistent practice (and lots of finesse) can the mantra acquire true power in merging with stillness. Many layers have to be purified and opened. It's a delicate art.

Best of luck on your journey.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000