Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Brain Waves during DM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alecpeace

USA
95 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2015 :  10:36:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All

Does anybody have any ideas as to what happens to our brain waves during DM?

Assuming we start at Beta in a waking consciousness, does DM take us higher into Gamma, or lower into Alpha/Theta?

I've heard all kinds of theories as to what meditation does to brain waves, supporting both sides, but only once can be correct. hmm.

Edited by - alecpeace on Aug 03 2015 9:32:25 PM

Krisandru

USA
28 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2015 :  6:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by alecpeace

Hi All

Does anybody have any ideas as to what happens to our brain waves during DM?
Assuming we start at Beta in a waking consciousness, does DM take us higher into Gamma, or lower into Alpha/Theta?
I've heard all kinds of theories as to what meditation does to brain waves, supporting both sides, but only once can be correct. hmm.

My opinion is that both are correct and lets try to analyze it together. If we take one practitioner/monk that has been meditating for some decades and we measure his brain waves, he will (most likely) be into Gamma range. If we take a novice and do the same think, while he’s in DM, we will observe that his brain generates lower brain waves. Why? Simply because when he starts DM, without realizing he is actually tensing his mind (thoughts are fighting against the new thought) while trying to remain on his mantra, because that particular thought (the mantra) is trying to overcome all the other thoughts and a great deal of energy is consumed in that way. This creates an agitation inside the skull at the beginning that is kinda hard to overpass, but after a while the brain waves will calm down and change direction towards gamma waves.

Indeed this is different for each individual, or even for one individual when the tests are made in different days/circumstances.

Hope this helps and hope you can now see why in fact, both theories are/can be correct.

Go to Top of Page

alecpeace

USA
95 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2015 :  12:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's my thinking as well. Thanks Krisandru

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000