Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Love meditating, AYP too short, what to do?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alecpeace

USA
95 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2015 :  9:55:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello Professional Meditators!

I'll keep this as short and simple as possible...

I currently do AYP morning and night, exactly according to the lessons, it's going great.

But, but, but, I LOVE sitting and meditating for an hour. 30-min twice a day is kind of... meh. That's not to say AYP isn't like a spiritual howitzer, that's not what I'm trying to say. I'm strictly speaking of the act of meditating. I love taking an hour in the middle of the day to sit in silence and come out feeling like an angel with a harp on a cloud. I used to do Vipassana (Goenka style) and Ananda style yoga, but those are different flavors of "purification paths" and I'm not sure if it's a good idea to mix those with AYP.

Is there a meditation I can do during the day where I come out feeling blissful, at peace, and buzzing with good, loving vibrations that I can do in the same day as AYP?

OR,

Perhaps there is a meditation I can do immediately after AYP so I would have a 1 hour or more sitting, total. Earlier posters swore by doing some Vipassana (Goenka style) immediately after DM. I have some concerns about this though.

Edited by - alecpeace on Jul 30 2015 9:56:35 PM

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2015 :  10:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe meditate on your favorite television show
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  03:05:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You could add more practices if your body allows it.

Or you could do Heart meditation found in lesson 220 subject to self pacing of course.
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  2:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, in time this will pass, you will arrive at even more abiding in the witness state of stillness and silence and to the degree your neurobiology can accommodate the silence the degree of bliss you will have, your wish will be granted.

How to get there? Keep doing your AYP Practices.

Do not recommend extending them beyond the guidelines rather let your hunger grow and this hunger, this Bhakti will drive you to the cushion and this over time will give what you desire.

Stay Hungry, do not put too much wood on the fire.
Go to Top of Page

alecpeace

USA
95 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  4:55:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So-Hi, nice words, thank you. The Bhakti is strong.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  5:20:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You may be able to add vipassana (it's passive awareness isn't it? aslo called choiceless awareness) to the AYP mantra meditation. I would not extend the time spent on AYP meditation beyond what is recommended in the lessons, but if you don't overload, vipassana could be a nice addition to be practised when you have time during the day. Worth experimenting.
Go to Top of Page

alecpeace

USA
95 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  7:24:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

You may be able to add vipassana (it's passive awareness isn't it? aslo called choiceless awareness) to the AYP mantra meditation. I would not extend the time spent on AYP meditation beyond what is recommended in the lessons, but if you don't overload, vipassana could be a nice addition to be practised when you have time during the day. Worth experimenting.

Raincoat, funny you say that, I've just added 30 minutes of Goenka Vipassana without the Anapana immediately after DM, followed by a 5 minute laying-down period to cool off.

I'll have to back off the Vipassana later on when I advance deeper into AYP, it'll probably be overload at that point (<-assumption), but I'll keep this thread updated and see if that's the case.

disclaimer: I haven't done any mantra enhancements yet and just started SBP, on top of being undersensitive; I feel I need to disclose that so we have a point of reference, for future posts.

For more insight, anyone here can also peruse these very informative threads from way back in the day, related to this very topic:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ana,,retreat

P.S. I'll be adding the body sweep just mentioned to both of my daily AYP sessions, which for me, is still the core practice, not Vipassana.

Edited by - alecpeace on Jul 31 2015 7:32:25 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000