New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dv2014

USA
93 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2015 :  2:36:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
On bhakti, I have just enough bhakti to draw myself to the meditation seat every day - but nothing compared to the overflowing love to the ishta that some people talk about. I have heard people talking about their ishta - and they look and talk as though they are deeply in love with them - sort of like you are romantically involved with him/her. How does one develop that kind of devotion? Probably in my teenage years, I would have had such single minded interest on another human being, but developing that at a later stage in life, that too toward a distant object (a Guru, or diety) seems challenging to me. Would love to hear from people here about their bhakti journeys. thanks

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2015 :  3:01:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI dv2014

Drawing yourself to the meditation seat every day is no small thing.

Have you read Lesson 67?
This lesson caused an amazing transformation in me. Before I first read it, I though I was not the 'devotional type' (this makes me laugh now). After reading that lesson, I realised I had tons of bhakti, but it was all in the negative - all the dissatisfaction with the way things were, everything I was not getting from life... Reading this lesson turned a switch - the negative suddenly transformed into positive - I suddenly noticed the strong pull to an ideal that had always been there, unseen and unacknowledged, giving rise to all those unmet expectations and the resulting dissatisfaction.
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2015 :  3:30:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
a good commentary on the gita may help
Go to Top of Page

dv2014

USA
93 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2015 :  6:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you BlueRaincoat and Kumar!

I must have read lesson 67, because as I read now, I remember the traffic light example. But it was nice to re-read it, each time you appreciate these lessons in a little deeper.

For some reason I was not inclined to Gita even though I grew up in India. I guess the reason was that I saw Krishna as opportunistic and clever and and this must have been drawn from his actions in the battle field especially in using soft lies in helping defeating Drona as well as Duryodhana. But recently I have been listening to Gita interpretations from Nirvisheshanada Tirtha and that is helping to some extent, although not directly on an emotional level ...

well, keep walking the path, I guess
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2015 :  9:28:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I always look at the picture of Ramana Maharishi. When I gaze into his eyes, my heart opens and I'm filled with bliss and in silence. Same effect listening to Krishna Das.

Growing up untill few years back, I had the same view about Krishna. Now I learn more from the dialogue between Krishna and Arjun than focusing on Krishna's personality.

Edited by - sunyata on Jul 21 2015 10:42:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

dv2014

USA
93 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2015 :  10:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Sunyata. Someone else also told me the same thing about Ramana Maharshi a while ago and yes, I agree with you.

About Krishna, my judgmental mind was dismissing him and his teachings - but yes, I am slowly developing some interest in Gita these days.

Over the past few years, I have cultivated some bhakti toward Amritananda Mayi Ma as well - that is helping too.

Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  10:42:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi dv2014,

Good to know about your increasing bhakti. It's so sweet, isn't it ?.

I just thought of sharing Sat Shree's (New Dharma Yoga) interpretation of Gita. One of the best interpretation in my view.. Hope you enjoy as well

https://www.youtube.com/user/Newdharmayoga

Sunyata

Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  3:22:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
a scripture for all at any level any age any sex any race any type of being simple truths ready to be accepted by a open mind and heart all commentators havre there own take on the dialoge and some more poetic more powerful but all a joy to listen to on the ipod over and over a reminder of complexity yet the simpleness of a spiritual life ,go as deep as you like or just stay on its surface life changes when even a little bit is practiced ,the art of yoga.
Go to Top of Page

dv2014

USA
93 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  4:30:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Sunyata Looking forward to listening ... I can spend hours listening to Gurus on youtube :)

kumar ul islam
Go to Top of Page

dv2014

USA
93 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2015 :  4:08:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@Sunyata - started with Sat Shree's three guna model - interesting and lot of new knowledge!

@Blue - I have to tell you that when you mentioned lesson 67 above, I thought I knew it all, but only yesterday, I realized what your were saying exactly! I was overwhelmed at work yesterday and when I got back home I knew I am on the verge of an outburst or a complaining spree - I didn't want to go there, yet the overwhelm such that I could not even distinguish what I was feeling, whether it was despair, anxiety, jealousy or sadness. Thankfully, I remembered lesson 67 and tried to surrender all the complex mix I was feeling and oh gosh, it really helps!
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2015 :  10:10:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by dv2014
when you mentioned lesson 67 above, I thought I knew it all, but only yesterday, I realized what your were saying exactly!
I know what you mean. I read "Advanced Yoga Practices - Easy Lessons” six times now. Every time I read them I realise something new!

Glad to hear you're getting the hang of bhakti.
All the best
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2015 :  10:18:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
@Sunyata - started with Sat Shree's three guna model - interesting and lot of new knowledge!

Hi dv2014,
I was hoping you would start with that one. I guess the message was transferred through "akasha".
I agree, the knowledge that comes through him is so sweet. I've been waiting for a month for him to post the new chapter. I think he is in a retreat right now.

Edited by - sunyata on Jul 23 2015 10:19:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

dv2014

USA
93 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2015 :  10:13:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2015 :  03:33:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by dv2014

On bhakti, I have just enough bhakti to draw myself to the meditation seat every day - but nothing compared to the overflowing love to the ishta that some people talk about. I have heard people talking about their ishta - and they look and talk as though they are deeply in love with them - sort of like you are romantically involved with him/her. How does one develop that kind of devotion? Probably in my teenage years, I would have had such single minded interest on another human being, but developing that at a later stage in life, that too toward a distant object (a Guru, or diety) seems challenging to me. Would love to hear from people here about their bhakti journeys. thanks

Dear dv2014,

oooh, you have raised my very favorite topic: God intoxication! the Divine Romance! "sort of like"? - nothing "sort of" about it. Deeply, madly, passionately in Love!

Bhakti is different for everybody, with various personality types. If your bhakti is bringing you to the meditation seat every day, then it is doing what it is supposed to. But, since you asked:

It is possible to "cultivate" bhakti once you have it, but at least in my experience, bhakti per se was a gift of Grace. I was an atheist/ agnostic at the time, age 17 or 18 in college, having rejected Christianity and the idea of a personal God at age 12 for various doctrinal reasons, among others their dogma that "rock & roll is from the devil."

Like most young girls I wanted desperately to be In Love and held romantic love in the highest regard but it eluded me despite (or perhaps, because of!) my best efforts. I wanted a partner, someone to "complete" me, but couldn't find a willing candidate. I fell in love with the much older graduate student who taught me tantra, and he broke my heart.

Then I began studying with the Hare Krishna group on campus. While chanting with them one day I was looking at a poster hanging on their wall, gorgeous Govinda gazing down at me with the sweetest expression, and by His grace, I fell in Love. At the time it was just kind of an intense emotional thing and I had no idea how deep it would go as He drew me closer over the years. I eventually became an Episcopal Third-Order Sister (same Guy, different costume, the dogma having been transcended).

What I found is that the Love I'd been seeking in mortal men was just a spark of His splendor, the fullness of which was freely available, limitless, all-consuming, unquenchable, utterly fulfilling, burning brightly in my own and the heart of every yogi. Yoga practice cultivates that Love pouring through every cell of our body. And it just keeps getting better and better.

May you be blessed with the fullness of bhakti in whatever manner is suited to your unique journey!
Go to Top of Page

dv2014

USA
93 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2015 :  10:54:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Radharani,

Thank you for kindly sharing your story! It’s beautiful!! Seeing a poster of Govinda and falling in love, wow, it must have been a great experience. Bhakti seems truly a divine gift, and you are certainly blessed to have it in such abundance!

Although I have not felt anything comparable to that extent to the divine, I can certainly relate to the longing for romantic love. Growing up I was also one of those girls wanting intense romance, which in my definition then was adoration, admiration respect and the like, you know … It was only much later that I realized it was all wanting, nonetheless.

Also, I grew up in a family where there was none to share my feelings with and people gave little value to emotional eccentricities. Yes, they are good if you are talented enough to become a writer, they would say! But logical reasoning or analytical mind was perceived as a better bet to make a profession and living. And naturally there was an effort in me to acquire those skills. So I doubt whether I had any 'head over heels' events in my life, which if I have had would have helped to crack open the heart a little!

After starting spiritual practices, slowly I am getting a grip on human relationships; until lately, I wanted something from every relationships, not materially most of the time, but more importantly emotionally. My relationship with my husband was a perpetual begging for emotional rewards, instead of giving wholeheartedly what I have and can. It sounds silly, but only now I am realizing that I always cooked what I liked the most, or what worked easier for me. He never complained as long as it was edible. But now, it is becoming increasingly internally rewarding to take the time and trouble to cook his favorite dish once in a while. And in many times he wouldn’t notice or acknowledge that I had done something special (that’s his nature ) but I am happy regardless Baby steps along the path

Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2015 :  12:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
After starting spiritual practices, slowly I am getting a grip on human relationships; until lately, I wanted something from every relationships, not materially most of the time, but more importantly emotionally. My relationship with my husband was a perpetual begging for emotional rewards, instead of giving wholeheartedly what I have and can. It sounds silly, but only now I am realizing that I always cooked what I liked the most, or what worked easier for me. He never complained as long as it was edible. But now, it is becoming increasingly internally rewarding to take the time and trouble to cook his favorite dish once in a while. And in many times he wouldn’t notice or acknowledge that I had done something special (that’s his nature ) but I am happy regardless Baby steps along the path

This is absolutely lovely, and the ripened fruits of your practice. The act of "loving service" touches all involved, your husband and family, and most of all your 'calcified' heart, which is purifying even as you read this. My wife outed herself as an alcoholic last year, and went into detox. To detoxify all the financial, emotional, and physical damage to our family, Guru advised me to promote the healing via releasing all residual emotional tension from my heart; to be of loving service and support so both her and our relationship could repair, and her shame could melt away. She is now sixteen months sober, physically, mentally, emotionally alert and present, and our marriage stronger than even our first year. It is no wonder Love is AYPs first sutra

To get back to your original question, how do you, could you, discover/love an ishta? Just be open to the possibility It is lurking in your heart, awaiting discovery, an incubating egg that will hatch when your heart is primed and ready.
Go to Top of Page

dv2014

USA
93 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2015 :  6:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Dogboy for your kind words and thank you for sharing your touching experience ... Congratulations to you and your wife on the successful journey and yes, love is the key sutra and it seems it is all in giving ... My sincere heartfelt best wishes to you and your family

Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2015 :  7:36:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2015 :  10:32:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi dv2014,

Thank You for sharing your transformation. It's so nice when our loved ones benefit from our practice.

Hi Dogboy,

Namaste to you for supporting your wife through the tough time..You are a truely a divine human being.
Happy for you and your family.

Sunyata
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2015 :  03:08:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for sharing your touching stories. This is what I love on AYP, we don't know each other and it feels like a warm family. Sharing that what is sometimes so hard to say in daily life.
My big shift was 11 years ago. There is a real before and an after date. That day real love came over me in and that was not easy. Because suddenly K came in I woke up and I felt my life was one big lie and struggle to keep up all masks.
That day I believe my second life started, not hiding anything anymore. Step by step I opened up, clunky in the beginning but slowly I progressed.
Before I took so much for granted, was selfish. After that day their was love & guilt, so much guilt. It had to come out. I worked it out with yoga, asanas, struggling, worked that body out. I opened up to everyone around, some understand me, some not that's fine. I am who I am.
Now I can say, their was no reason to feel guilty because I didn't know. How could I know?
These day's I know a little bit more, so I will never ever say that someone is to blame for anything.
They don't know, everyone has his own way to go.
I know it helps if there are loved ones around who love you no matter how selfish you have been.
I was the selfish one, my husband was the giving one, loved me. These day's I can give, to him and to all, there is enough for everyone. That is Grace and I am Grateful.

Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2015 :  06:21:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I was the selfish one, my husband was the giving one, loved me. These day's I can give, to him and to all, there is enough for everyone. That is Grace and I am Grateful.

Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2015 :  04:03:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear dv2014,
Thanks so much for sharing your story! that sounds like bhakti to me.
Go to Top of Page

dv2014

USA
93 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2015 :  10:00:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Radharani

@Charliedog - yes it feels like a warm family

On bhakti again, I wonder how and where it factors in the inner silence+energy equation. It seems it can clean up a lot and thereby enhance the energetic movement perhaps? But bhakti being a stand-alone practice (in some traditions), can it bring up inner silence as well?

(I am so sold on this inner silence - ecstatic conductivity model that I try to fit in everything in there )

And although bhakti starts out as desire, it becomes surrender at some point? ...

Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2015 :  11:39:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
And although bhakti starts out as desire, it becomes surrender at some point? ...

Surrender becomes automatic as a result of all "maturing" practice, bhakti included
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2015 :  05:45:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am totally Bhakta. There are no bounderies, between inner silence, surrender, ecstatic conductivity, all is included, like Dogboy said.
My Bhakti has no form, is formless. It started once with a desire to that inner silence and later ecstatic conductivity I found in my Shavasana after asana classes. It took years of asana classes before I knew what was happening.
I never had an ideal form or personal God, it was just the feeling of inner silence and the love I felt afterwards the yoga class.
One day it opened my heart that is the real Bhakti/devotion. Only the intention for meditation or yoga makes Bhakti grow in my heart area , but also spontaneous in daily life, touching, look into eyes, reading, breath awareness, teaching, it doesn't matter anymore, all is Bhakti.
Bhakti grows from the heart to my fingertips, I had a vision of a crucifix with that, Bhakti is divine.

Edit: it is all energy.

Edited by - Charliedog on Aug 12 2015 06:16:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2015 :  12:47:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So beautiful Charliedog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000