AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Awareness of the Mind vs Awareness of Awareness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tamasaburo

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2015 :  09:58:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....erms=albigen

I've been trying recently to add the method discussed above of "awareness watching awareness" to my self inquiry.

Seems largely compatible with AYP self inquiry, but it made me realize something:

I think when I am "witnessing," I am usually witnessing my mind. That is, I experience enough witnessing that I don't always totally identify with my mind and can observe my thoughts as if from an outsider perspective. But I am still observing my mind, I think.

The albigen website calls for the awareness to observe the awareness, but also states that there is only one awareness and that it is just the everyday awareness, not some special awareness.

Right now when doing self inquiry I feel sort of like there are "two" of me: something like "the witness" and then the mind or maybe the ego that the witness is witnessing. But this feels a little different from using my everyday awareness to be aware of my everyday awareness.

Are these two mutually exclusive, or both pointing to the same place in the end? I think I can sometimes feel a sensation of just "abiding" in the witness, which is maybe closer to being awareness aware of awareness, but otherwise it's hard for me to comprehend it, since it's like an eyeball seeing itself or a finger touching itself--it seems there must be some distance in order for observation or perception to occur?

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2015 :  10:50:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Only one conscious awareness. You cannot really watch your mind as you are your mind. You are aware of your thoughts and of your direct perceptions of the world.

Awareness watching awareness that's quite amusing.

That is essentially self inquiry. Same as saying find the one who is aware, see if that one exists. Keep going and you will find you are one and the same. If you insist on separation then that's what you must begin with.

Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2015 :  04:38:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by tamasaburo

Are these two mutually exclusive, or both pointing to the same place in the end? I think I can sometimes feel a sensation of just "abiding" in the witness, which is maybe closer to being awareness aware of awareness, but otherwise it's hard for me to comprehend it, since it's like an eyeball seeing itself or a finger touching itself--it seems there must be some distance in order for observation or perception to occur?

Hi tamasburo,
I overlooked this topic, but I recognize what you are saying. This is what self-inquire means, it is the Witness. It is not only being aware of thoughts coming in. It is witnessing you are aware, aware of your awareness. That means you have found inner silence. No disturbing thoughts. If thoughts are there, it's gone. For me it is what I did when meditating. One day I noticed it also when driving my car for instance. Aware of awareness spreads out, one day you will be completely aware of every moment. It is one then. I call it Now.

Edit: The word Now is easily used but if I must compare with years ago, then I was lost in my mind most of the time, not in the Present Moment however I didn't noticed that back then.

Edit: Just paradox observations

Edited by - Charliedog on Jul 15 2015 07:37:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

sambo

Australia
35 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2015 :  05:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit sambo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Tamasaburo

I agree with Karl that there is only one conscious awareness. So awareness watching awareness kinda seems silly.

The practice of holding onto this 'I am' sense that is talked about in the article you linked. To me is a self inquiry in the sense that whatever you perceive when holding onto this "I am' you know you are not that! Even a very subtle vibration of I am ness. Its all perceived IN awareness.

So the practice is a stripping away of wrong identification by constantly checking in or abiding as long as you can in 'I AM' and seeing with what you are identifying your self with and then letting that go.

One thing that struck me a few weeks ago was that as soon as i enquire or look within i am using my mind and creating a duality of object subject, and no matter how a subtle of sensation i perceive there will still be this duality.
So it seemed clear that for Awareness to know its self as awareness it would have to be SELF ILLUMINATING completely effortless.

I have heard of people say awakening is completely of Gods grace ( self illuminating) So maybe all the spiritual practices we do are just ripening us for this grace.

Hope i didn't go off track there (:

I like what you said about an eyeball seeing itself or a finger touching itself. So to use that analogy could we say: That no matter what the finger touched he would know that is was not him because he touched it! and maybe after touching quite a lot of things his identification with these objects became less and less and then one day Bamb!!! A finger illuminating grace hit him and all was clear !!! hehe

Just some humble ramblings
Regards
sam
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2015 :  3:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear, right now from where I am... I do not see it as a silly practice... It is a meditation practice like any other... All work in good time as long as u keep on practicing... Then grace or the guru in you reaches out and guides and enlighten you... Meditation or prayer removes the clouds and reveal what is true... Keep on working and remember that this is not a sprint but a marathon... I know and realize advaita now... But i remember the dirt work i did before... It's all now and it's god or that and so on... But a good and sound advise to another means helping ur own self... For u give only to urself and u take only from urself... As Sri Ramana says quite clearly... Vigilance is constantly required... I feel blessed for being where i am right now but what is the use of just saying words about enlightenment... You already know it all... Daily practice and if possible without overloading... Ongoing practice... In the end it comes second nature and then u realize it's ur nature... I wish you all the best on your path.

Namaste
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2015 :  3:04:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Another key point... Advaita talk and so on works best in the presence of a teacher... Also then as well... One needs to be ripe from either before or under the guidance of a teacher in order to understand.

The guru is in you
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2015 :  01:40:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Amen and Silence

Edit: Thank you for being here Ananda

Edited by - Charliedog on Jul 16 2015 03:21:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2015 :  03:38:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000