Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 In case of no electricity
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  4:09:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone,
In the case that the electricity gets cut off or I am in an environment that has no electricity in the first place, would someone please share with me an alternative way that I could meditate for 20 minutes? Thank you, Hunter

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  4:29:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You need electricity to meditate?
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  4:56:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I bet she can hyper-focus.

hehe
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  9:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
in tibet they know how long it takes for a stick of incense to burn. you could buy tibetan stick incense and see how much burns in 20 minutes and then cut the sticks that length. of course a breeze speeds it up. also, you could use a watch. old fashioned watches used to be wound and some had a self winding feature or a watch with a battery can last a long time. it shouldn't be so difficult really
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  9:16:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about that, I left out the important detail.
I use a digital clock to track how many minutes I am meditating to stay within 20 minutes.
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  9:18:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Hunter,

If it's light you need from electricity you could use another light source that doesn't use electricity, for example a candle or gas lamp or oil lamp.
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  9:20:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very good suggestion Victor, I forgot that regular old wrist watches last a long time. I just happen to have an old wind-up watch as well.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  10:41:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't forget that you can get a cheap old digital watch that runs on batteries for about two years for about $20.

Enough for two years in the jungle!
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  12:35:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Hunter,

Use an egg timer. No electricity, no watch, no need to shut it coz it'll repeatedly ring.

Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  11:08:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ahh! I'm so stupid for not having understood what you meant Hunter! Oh well...

In the lessons, doesn't it say we should move away from using an alarm and just do however long 20 minutes seems to us?
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  1:50:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Something like that:

http://www.aypsite.com/23.html

my underlines:

"You have a biological clock that is quite accurate. Give it the
opportunity to work. It only needs to be spot checked with a clock
occasionally
. As you get settled in the habit of regular meditations,
keeping the time will become second nature. So, trust yourself. It's
okay if you go over your time inadvertently. Better that than being
distracted. First let go of the habit of watching the clock. Don't
mind the time at all. Be easy about it. Your body knows pretty much
when twenty minutes are up. After a few weeks of daily practice you
will open your eyes for the first time during a meditation and the
clock will show that twenty minutes have gone by. You will be amazed
how easy it is. Then timekeeping will continue automatically with no
effort at all."

I still keep my clock/watch around for occasional looking-at. If I were away for a weekend and meditating without a watch I wouldn't worry. But if I were going into the jungle for 2 years to meditate, I'd be worried that I'd lose my sense of time in the long run if I did not have a watch to keep myself in check occasionally.

Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  3:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, good points David!
Go to Top of Page

will.iam

23 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  11:04:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit will.iam's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you use a wristwatch alarm long enough you will know when its about to ring within a month or two. I found that looking at an alarm clock didnt have this benefit as I would open my eyes to look at it every so often. Now I'm using a wristwatch timer for meditation and just before it rings I think "it seems like its been long enough". Soon I imagine I'll be able to hit it exactly. Once that comes it would be possible to stop using it completely. I still use the alarm clock for timing spinal breathing.

The thing about an egg timer is that all the ones I've seen make noise as they count the time and I have found this to be distracting.

Anyone know of a multi-timer that could time ten minutes pause for a minute then time twenty minutes? This would be ideal for pranayama/meditation session timing.

Cheers,
Bill
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  01:17:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hiya

Just for fun you could rig up a funnel with 20 min. of sand that falls thru into a container on a teeter-totter with a counter-weight. It will tip down when the 20 min. of sand passes through. You can place a nice sounding bell or som'n below the filled up container

have fun! balance

Edited by - Balance on Sep 26 2006 05:15:53 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000