Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Need to restart my practice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2015 :  7:53:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Up until about two months ago, I was somewhat regular with my AYP practices, DM and SBP. Typically I was doing both in 30 minutes one sitting per day. About two months ago I went abroad on a lengthy business trip, staying in a hotel in a different time zone, connected only electroniclly to home. My initiative to meditate and circulate in my susumna was low, as concern was taken up with working about 14 hours per day, eating and trying to sleep. It was necessary to work 8 hours with my excellent German hosts, then to respond to requests and connections to my equally good colleagues at the Michigan office. What suffered was even my modest regularity with meditation.

Now that I'm settling back in at home, I want to resume.

My question is, should I try to start at the aggressive but once/day level I had before, or cut back in some way? On the one hand I have needed all along to do better with self-pacing and regularity, but I enjoy how I feel after 10 minutes of SBP followed by 20 minutes of DM, and sometimes 5 minutes of silence after before arising.

My intuition is to start at base level again and see how it feels. So much for the guru within me! But some of you have probably seen such a situation before, so maybe our gurus can speak to each other?

Please share your views - I wonder if I am missing anything.

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2015 :  08:03:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Since you are doing meditation but once a day, I would start just shy of where you left off, perhaps 5 minutes SBP and 15 minutes DM, 5 minutes rest to see how that feels for a week. If that feels safe and comfortable, then ramp up to your prior level. It is always better to "sneak up" rather than commit too much too soon. Let us know how it goes!
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2015 :  10:28:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi kensbikes,
Welcome back ! I second Dogboy in this. Take time to make your practice a habit, take the next step after the first step is a solid foundation to build on!

Enjoy your practice
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2015 :  12:13:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, It has been found here that when the way is lost or the Bhakti to sit is little or The desire to practice more results in overload and demotivation come of it, then it is best to start with the very minimum amount and after perhaps 6 to 8 months try more.

For example the ideal is to have a twice daily practice this is echoed in other systems outside of AYP as well. The reasons are sound.

So it is being thought you should consider what it is going to take to get you to two daily practices every day.

It is also thought you should do the bare minimum to set and establish your foundation base point.

It is also thought to remind that this is a Marathon not a sprint, nor a weight lifting competition with yourself or anyone else.

It is / has been experienced here that the best way to stoke Bhakti is not to feed it till it is satisfied always leave the table early so the desire remains for the next sitting.

Reccomendation: twice a day with atleast 4 to 6 hours in between sittings minor asana work before and after I favor Mahamudra, Spinal Breathing 5 Minutes Deep Meditation 5 Minutes if you do Bandhas and Mudras that has not been explained by you but keep them in spinal breathing only unless during DM they desire to & occur anyway. If you are at the point of practicing Samyama then some of that too after DM Afterwards lie down for a few and rest. Yes rest that is huge

To put my money where my mouth is I will join you in this experiment and we can keep a running dialogue here on the forums.

Edited by - So-Hi on Jun 22 2015 12:53:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2015 :  8:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So many good answers since I last checked in! Thank you so much!

I've done morning sittings fairly regularly since first posting about this, and of course they feel quite good The first one was long as I had done, then I slowly shortened them. Yesterday it was 5 min SBP and 15 minutes DM. The day before it was the same in the morning and in the evening. However, the evening one was hard to maintain - twitchy legs and some clock-watching. I also did not come out feeling clear. The same lack of clarity happened this week on a few other evening attempts at sitting. So that all must have been overload, I guess.

SoHi, I like your advice, and I might have confirmed your prediction. I think I'm going back to my old ™ levels: 20 minutes DM morning and evening, and add SBP back in when that feels good and stable.

I've also been noticing some automatic yoga: aligning my back, tightening the abdomen above the navel and pressing my hands down into my lap as I breathe - both in SBP and in DM. It's almost as if my body wants to go into siddhasana.
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2015 :  8:36:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if the site has a place for registered users to have a yoga log that can be viewed by other users?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000