New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2015 :  5:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Whitman was enlightened perhaps?
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2015 :  8:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BillinL.A.

Whitman's so impressive to me cuz he was so drunk with love even while tending to the wounded, agonizing soldiers of the U.S.Civil War.

I read that recently too, and that validated his poetry even more for me. He was not just an academic, but a man who placed himself in the trenches. Thank you for posting that, BillinL.A.

quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

Whitman was enlightened perhaps?

Dogboy! I was going to write that sentiment verbatim in the blog, but left it out perhaps to avoid pointing to the illusion of attainment. But yes, to me, he was the real deal, and resonates with my soul more than a lot of other "spiritual" teachers on the market today. Whitman embodied the masculine and feminine, the transient and the eternal, the dual and the non-dual. He was leagues ahead of his time and has set the bar high for those of us who wish to go well beyond mere detachment (the witness stage).

Thank you, gentlemen! Godspeed.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  9:39:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Blog #5: The State of the World
http://ayprecovery.org/blog-5-the-s...f-the-world/

Last night I was engaged in some lively discussion with one of my brothers, and we were bouncing back and forth between topics on politics and economics. At one point, I told him that I wished I had a tranquilizer gun to zap him so I could effectively bring his rant to a much-needed halt. But I did not have one handy, and he is quite persistent, so I had to make do by using my intellect and witty humor as a means of compromise. I met him in the middle (see my lesson in Beyond the Baseline).

We all know how riled up we can get when contemplating and talking about the state of the world. There are so many issues, so many sides, so many problems and potential solutions. It's baffling. What can we do in the face of such complexity? Well, for me, it's easy. Keep it simple.

Keeping it simple is not a denial of the complexity of our social systems, nor is it a dumbing down of our intellect. Simplicity is a return to home base, and in AYP, that home base is inner silence, or the witness. We can accrue large bodies of knowledge and information, but sooner or later, we have to return to what has been called "a peace which passes all understanding". Paradoxically, this eternal peace can actually illuminate our intellect and help us skillfully navigate the realms of the mind. The mind is for learning, and for problem-solving, but the source of the mind is stillness. Sometimes we forget this simple fact amidst our fascination and yearning to understand the details of life. It's natural enough.

In returning to the home base of witness consciousness last night, I also realized something else important about the larger issues in life. I realized I could never hope to solve them all, and that I could easily exhaust my emotional energy trying to crack every code. The only solution is to find my particular calling in the grand scheme, and for now, that is to help spread the AYP techniques, with a particular emphasis on recovery.

Seeing my brother so frustrated also reminded me of my own emotional condition after spending a couple years in AA. I had hit a wall in AA, and the only solution for me was to develop this website. Once that started unrolling, my troubles with AA rapidly diminished. The general lesson here is: find your personal calling, and devote your emotional energy to that.

Mother Nature has a wonderful way of diversifying Her population and ecosystem, and we only need to tap into our uniqueness to enjoy the fruits of Her design. It's not a matter of trying excessively hard. It's just a matter of persistently and consistently inquiring into our soul—using AYP techniques, and whatever else we are called to do as we spiral into ecstatic bliss.

The only way we can improve the state of the world is to improve the state or our inner condition, first and foremost. Then the radiance ripples out in swells of divine love, and we get a little bit closer to the utopia we so desire.

Godspeed, and good luck.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2015 :  02:52:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  6:54:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Blog #6: Psychedelic Mushrooms and Persuasion
http://ayprecovery.org/blog-6-psych...-persuasion/

One time I was tripping on psilocybin mushrooms, and I began to feel paralyzed. Fortunately, the flood gates opened up a little bit, and I experienced some catharsis as I poured out my heart to a friend who was tripping with me. He was a good listener and shared his own emotional struggles. He said he had been prescribed anti-depressants, and I quickly denounced drugs of that kind, deeming them counterproductive to healing or transformation. (How ironic it was to be leveraging such a viewpoint after I had just eaten a dose of mind-bending fungi, freshly plucked off cow manure, and procured by trespassing onto someone else's property.)

Anyway, he felt naturally offended, so he firmly replied, "Oh, you know about things, do you?" That stopped me in my tracks and knocked the wind right out of me. I realized: I don't know much, and I didn't have much of an alternative to offer him at the time.

Why am I writing about this now? Well, because I want to reiterate a fine point that I think is crucial in moving forward with this whole deal. This fine point is in regards to persuasion, or trying to convince someone of a better way of living. Let me say something outright: I'm not trying to persuade anyone, nor I am trying to attack methods that aren't in line with AYP for Recovery. Though I have written in depth about some pitfalls I perceive in AA, I am not trying to convince anybody to stay away from AA, or the 12-Step psychology. I still go to AA meetings and have quite a few friends in the fellowship. I have no interest in burning bridges. Also, in respect of anonymity, I won't ever mention names or overly personal details (unless someone voluntarily asks to be mentioned on this website, which I gladly welcome).

If what I'm offering on this site is genuine, and works effectively, then there is no need for persuasion. There is only a need for presentation, explanation, and proof that it does work. There is no better proof than walking the walk, and that happens in daily activity--at work, in the community, and with friends and family.

There is a good saying, which is, "That which you resist, persists." So if I resist every ideology or methodology that I disagree with, my resistance will surely prolong the very thing I dislike. So, it is in my self-interest, and the interest of others, to live and let live. I'm not going to waste my energy trying to fight an unconquerable enemy. I will simply put my passion and skill into illuminating the flickers of light that are beginning to glow here. Little fireflies, you know. Deep in the mountains of northern Georgia, they glow with a stunning luminescence. I have seen them in the darkest nights. Maybe they are migrating to the Sunshine State, in very subtle, gentle ways.

Thank you for reading, and feel free to call me out on any of my claims, or to call upon me, whatever the need may be.

Resilience. Fortitude. Luminescence.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2015 :  02:09:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2015 :  08:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
True self meeting true self and peace and order are established. When ego meets ego conflict and chaos will ensue.

We should be remain firmly established in the true self where there cannot be conflict, where all thought is ordered.

We can be empathetic in our communications if we are firmly established in the habit of self. With no ego to feed we can soothe the condition of others by attending to the root needs. This does not necessarily mean acting to fulfil those needs-they may run contrary to peace and order-It is, instead, a metaphoric pulling of thorn from the foot of the angry lion. We may not be able to meet the needs of others, but we can listen through the shield of words and identify the need which lies beneath them. When people are really listened to in this way they relax and become peaceful. They see how it is and are inspired to seek their own true self.

The key is to first be established in the true self, from which a solid foundation is built. There is no need to seek anything, or do anything for we are not the doer. If we are the doer, then we are not yet established in the true self and must continue to work at it. If we are not pure in heart then all our works will be tainted and insufficient.

Ask 'who is the doer' ? If it can be asked, then we are not yet established. When there ceases to be a doer then no question can be asked.

When you say, this is why I do such and such, that is how I did such and such then the doer is still present.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2015 :  10:44:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah...undoing the doer. One of my favorites.

At any given moment, these words are just a reflection of the sentiment: "Well, it seemed like the right thing to say at the time."

With the blog, I would rather lean towards a honest sharing of my opinion, than remain safely abstract with an objective regurgitation of spiritual principles. For me (the unknown doer that nevertheless has a body named Cody), there is an effortless flow to continue with writing about specific details that illustrate my humanness.

The paradox here is that the perfect undoer can take shape as the imperfect doer. People always thrive on the unique texture of individuality, just as much as they rely upon their connection to an all-encompassing wholeness.

The more there is active surrender to the undoer, the more that uniqueness can express itself in the form of a memorable shred of the greater tapestry, i.e. Cody.

Thank you, karl. I highly value your correspondence.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2015 :  2:32:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree

Ah...undoing the doer. One of my favorites.

At any given moment, these words are just a reflection of the sentiment: "Well, it seemed like the right thing to say at the time."

With the blog, I would rather lean towards a honest sharing of my opinion, than remain safely abstract with an objective regurgitation of spiritual principles. For me (the unknown doer that nevertheless has a body named Cody), there is an effortless flow to continue with writing about specific details that illustrate my humanness.

The paradox here is that the perfect undoer can take shape as the imperfect doer. People always thrive on the unique texture of individuality, just as much as they rely upon their connection to an all-encompassing wholeness.

The more there is active surrender to the undoer, the more that uniqueness can express itself in the form of a memorable shred of the greater tapestry, i.e. Cody.

Thank you, karl. I highly value your correspondence.

the perfect undoer can ONLY take shape as the imperfect doer. There is only one self and so there isn't any other raw material which can be brought in
Abiding in true self there isn't any difference, the imagined doer is a distant dream until it re asserts itself.

It is the doer who is the addict. The true self is all there is, it is already established. It is not an unknown knower. This is apparently strange and that is where the paradox lies.

I'm not a guru and so I don't know the relationship between between what is to be said and what is done. I know that behaviour is not the true self and yet at the same time it is. Therefore the art is to know both equally, to see the differences and the sameness, the unity and the separation.

I said in my book that I had discovered that applying therapy to others was really only working on myself and so that is true in both directions. There are no separations. The walls we see are self imposed barriers we use to silo and label. Yet we must also respect these barriers as impermeable, or we are refusing to acknowledge reality. A thing is a thing. What is real is real. What is true is true. It must also be accepted that what is false is also true, but only for the viewer. No separation, just extension arising from one source. It is enshrined in the words 'the map is not the territory' to which I add 'but the map is still a map', it is not nothing and then the territory is a concept.

That's probably far more confusing, but suffice to say what is running around inside our heads is true for us at all times. It may not match reality, but it seems real and so that has to be the starting point, it's all that we have. We work on ourselves and then how we relate to others changes. If we work on them, then we also work on ourselves. Hilarious really, all this doing and doer stuff. Action and reaction. We jump in the air and cannot say exactly what occurred, except to say our free will was exerted. The planet did not consciously extinguish gravity, it was our will that made our bodies perform and yet the dilemma exists. Did we push the planet from us, or only us from the planet ? Who can say. Action and reaction are opposite and equal.
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2015 :  4:06:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
fantastic conversations thankyou cody and karl.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2015 :  5:52:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karl

I said in my book that I had discovered that applying therapy to others was really only working on myself and so that is true in both directions.

I remember that passage quite distinctly. It stuck with me and really helped me reflect on my own experience with therapists.

Since we are like mirrors reflecting each other, it seems like a perfect opportunity to use every single moment of existence as a means of further crystallizing our ideal, and since there is no separation on an absolute level, there can be no absolute problem either, nor any absolute barrier.

Karl, I think you and I belong in a Tibetan monastery high in the Himalayas, where we could bask in the rarefied air and wax philosophical--in between making sand mandalas and getting absorbed in ridiculously long meditation sessions.

In lieu of that, I guess the AYP forum will have to do.

P.S. Tomorrow I have a session scheduled in a "Samadhi" sensory deprivation tank, where I will float in saltwater, with no light or sound penetrating the vessel. Will definitely report on my experience, probably as a blog here.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2015 :  5:53:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kumar ul islam

fantastic conversations thankyou cody and karl.

Thank you for reading and joining in, kumar.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2015 :  7:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree

quote:

I said in my book that I had discovered that applying therapy to others was really only working on myself and so that is true in both directions.

I remember that passage quite distinctly. It stuck with me and really helped me reflect on my own experience with therapists.

Since we are like mirrors reflecting each other, it seems like a perfect opportunity to use every single moment of existence as a means of further crystallizing our ideal, and since there is no separation on an absolute level, there can be no absolute problem either, nor any absolute barrier.

Karl, I think you and I belong in a Tibetan monastery high in the Himalayas, where we could bask in the rarefied air and wax philosophical--in between making sand mandalas and getting absorbed in ridiculously long meditation sessions.

In lieu of that, I guess the AYP forum will have to do.

P.S. Tomorrow I have a session scheduled in a "Samadhi" sensory deprivation tank, where I will float in saltwater, with no light or sound penetrating the vessel. Will definitely report on my experience, probably as a blog here.

there are no problems which cannot be solved, but there are most certainly the reality of boundaries. The problems resolve once abiding in the pure self. Suffering=problems=suffering. Only the ego sees and suffers problems, the true self does not. If there are problems and suffering then we are not abiding in the true self. This is a good back check. If we are thinking we are doing, then we should ask who is it that is doing. If that question can be asked then we are not abiding in the true self, because then, no question is possible.

The Himalayas sound a bit chilly and I would rather write than draw in sand. The AYP forum seems infinitely easier.

Have fun in the deprivation tank.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2015 :  8:20:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
LMAO. Thank you. Onward.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2015 :  12:14:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Blog #7: Spiritual Awakening and Peak Experiences
http://ayprecovery.org/blog-7-spiri...experiences/

Today I went to an AA meeting, and the topic was on spiritual awakenings. Such a juicy topic that is.

Basically, the moderator categorized spiritual awakening in two ways:

1) dramatic and instantaneous
2) gradual and educational

I've had a taste of both. When it comes to "burning bush" experiences of the dramatic variety, you can read about two colorful episodes in my recovery story on this website. One was psychedelically-induced; the other was a result of sober practices that promote purification and opening of the nervous system. Each was special in their own right, but it's the sober variety that has stuck with me over the long term. Psychedelics are just too tricky.

AYP is quite clear about the pitfalls of seeking peak experiences and/or clinging to them when they do arise. There's nothing wrong with peak experiences, per se; it's just that we should take them in stride. For this reason, AYP promotes a gradual and permanent awakening that is stable and rock solid. That way, when the occasional fireworks do burst forth in a grand display of ecstasy, we are prepared to enjoy the scenery without being overly obsessed with such sirens. We easily favor the practices, rather than the effects produced by the practices. The special effects will take care of themselves; we just have to tend to the causes.

In today's meeting, an old-timer recalled his early days of sobriety when he had attended a meeting and heard a woman describe her peak experience. Apparently, she had been ironing clothes, when suddenly, her laundry room was bathed in an ethereal light. Upon hearing the story, the old-timer went home that night and began to vigorously iron all of his clothes! Needless to say, he was disappointed when he didn't get doused with celestial moonshine and heavenly glory. But I sure don't blame him for trying. That kind of effort is definitely a sign of bhakti, which is the fuel that sustains our path of enlightenment.

In AYP, we iron our clothes with practices like Deep Meditation, Spinal Breathing Pranayama, Samyama, and Karma Yoga—to name a few. These practices enhance our life in a such a way that makes even mundane circumstances enjoyable. For instance, one of the symptoms that has been recurring for me is robust laughter, about the smallest things, and among co-workers and friends. The diaphragm starts pulsating spasmodically, and then joy arises and illuminates my perception. Then I don't care about fancy dimensions so much, because there is so much pleasure right here in front of me.

Like a wave that peaks into a crest and then breaks into a trough, so does our journey unfold. Only our steady and intelligent devotion will allow us to ride the wave successfully, through the ups and downs.

Surf's up!
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2015 :  09:18:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2015 :  10:09:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Blog #8: Abstinence vs. Renunciation
http://ayprecovery.org/blog-8-absti...enunciation/

Recently I received an email from a gentleman who thoroughly examined the topics in the "Why AYP?" section. Among the many valid points he made, one of them was concerning temporary abstinence vs. permanent renunciation. What is the difference, and what is my view on their role in recovery?

The word abstain comes from a Latin word meaning "to hold from". So, if we abstain from alcohol or drugs, we are holding them away from us, usually for a specified period of time. The word renounce has its roots in an Old French word meaning "to give up". When we renounce alcohol and drugs, we give them up completely, without the need to keep them at bay.

To abstain is to exert an effort in maintaining a holding pattern; to renounce is to let go of completely, thereby relinquishing any effort to give energy to the object of renunciation. When we abstain, we continue to give alcohol/drugs our energy. When we renounce, we cease giving them our energy. Obviously, there is a significant difference.

If something doesn't receive energy, it dies and withers away. A plant needs sunlight, water, and nutrients to survive. Once the plant is deprived of those necessary ingredients, it cannot last long. Similarly, when we deprive alcohol of our energy and attention, its commanding presence in our life will wither away and die. It might be on the periphery of our vision, or even in plain view, but its aliveness and attraction will no longer exist.

I dabbled in abstinence for sporadic periods before reaching the point of total renunciation. When I abstained, most of the time I was anxiously waiting for that designated day when I could pick up a drink again. It was a silly game, but natural enough to try. Many people in recovery have tried to play that game. We want to hold on, even though our innate wisdom and intelligence are nudging us towards a more forward direction.

The interesting part about renunciation is that it's not a decision we can make on command. It is not a doing. It is a non-doing, or an undoing. Paradoxically, we arrive at the non-doing through doing, which in AYP is called active surrender. So, what can be done to renounce something we wish to be free of? Well, let's look at Yogani's handy formula: Vision + Desire + Action = Achievement...with persistence and consistency being underlying qualities on the left side of the equation.

The blanks can be filled in with practices like Deep Meditation, Spinal Breathing Pranayama, Samyama, Karma Yoga, Diet and Cleansing, and much more. There are also unique ideas and activities each person will discover on their own and bring to the table. After all, we get to customize our journey. On that note, here is a deeper explanation of the formula, along with a general template that can kindle some creativity:

http://ayprecovery.org/wp-content/u...-Formula.pdf

Going back to the topic of renunciation, I want to be crystal clear about something else, and that is: I am not in favor of prohibition, or making alcohol illegal. The failure of prohibition in the 1920's became very obvious in that decade, and the current failure of the war on drugs is just as obvious, if not more painful to witness. The solution is not to deny people their choice-making ability, and then to punish them when they disobey. The solution is to provide an awareness of superior alternatives, and to let free will take its natural course. Nothing can be forced in life. The best results come from a conscious, voluntary surrender to the divine flow, whose power far exceeds that of any legislative body or institution.

I believe that some things in life are worth moderating. But I came to the conclusion that drugs and alcohol are not. However, I have found AYP practices to be worthy, and with the use of self-pacing, I have settled into a good rhythm and routine that yields better results.

Ultimately, we are bound by cause and effect, and we can use that universal law to our advantage. The best cause is stillness, with the resulting effect being stillness in action. I think I will engage in becoming That.

Godspeed, and good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2015 :  5:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Blog #9: The Brain Is Not The Mind
http://ayprecovery.org/blog-9-the-b...ot-the-mind/

Perhaps you've heard the saying: Don't put the cart before the horse. That's what comes to mind when I read much of the government's spin on addiction, which portrays addiction as a disease of the brain. Clearly, when we are steeped in addiction, the brain is affected. And even before we are steeped in addiction, there are certainly genetic and neurological hints which point to a possible future of addiction.

But, the brain is not the mind. The mind is much deeper than the organ of the brain. Actually, in Yogani's appendix in the Samyama book, the sutra for knowing the mind is: heart. The heart is what contains the essence of our mind, and that is a non-physical reality. I'm not talking about the muscular organ of the heart; I'm talking about heart space, which is infinite in scope.

Of course, the muscular heart plays an important part, but it's kind of like a radio broadcasting a signal. If I was listening to a voice on the radio, it would be a mistake to believe that the voice originated from the radio electronics. The radio is just a medium upon which the signal comes across, but it is not the source of the signal itself. Similarly, the physical heart and the brain are mediums upon which our non-physical mind comes into being on Earth.

I'm not telling you this based on philosophy and speculation. I experience it firsthand on a regular basis. When I got really blasted with kundalini, there was an opening in the heart space which occurred. It became undeniably apparent how holographic the world is. Each individual contains the whole, as impossible as it seems. Of course, our waking mind is not fully conscious of that vastness, but that's the whole point of AYP, to become the universe--not just metaphorically, but literally. Cosmic Samyama in particular is geared towards accessing our broader physical dimensions beyond Earth.

Where is stillness? Can we find it through a telescope, under a microscope, or with any instruments we have created? No, we can't. It is the one thing we can't capture. Why? Because stillness is our Self, and the only option we have is to let go of trying to objectify That, and instead to become That. That is the price of surrender. To fully experience life, we have to close the gap between subject and object.

First, we detach (the witness), then we re-immerse ourselves (the unity condition). From the witness perspective, all objects of perception (including body/mind) are not Self. When the witness is merged in unity, all objects are seen as Self, even while Self is still beyond them. In my opinion, Walt Whitman is one of the best poets to explain this paradox: http://www.english.illinois.edu/map...man/song.htm

Look, science can only go as far as we allow it to go. If we insist on limiting our investigation to the physical body (organs, chemistry, biology, even molecules and sub-atomic particles), we will be disregarding pure bliss consciousness, which is the underpinning of all external reality. Yoga is the science of exploring and mastering consciousness, including the health and well-being of the body. No stone is left unturned.

Without a doubt, the material sciences are useful and necessary in understanding our bodies, minds, and the world at large. They provide hints and clues as to what lies beneath. In theory and practice, yoga and material science are indeed complementary, not contradictory. So I'm not debunking or devaluing material science's role in our inquiry. I'm merely illuminating the depth and scope of what is possible to experience and understand beyond the physical parts.

If you want proof, I'm happy to inform you that the best proof can be found in trying these techniques over the long-term, and then you can easily observe the steady stream of miracles pouring into your life. Yoga is a worthy science, and a worthy investigation.

Happy trails.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2015 :  7:22:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Things exist prior to consciousness and apart from consciousness. Consciousness does not exist as and of itself. It's a mistake to think otherwise. I noticed you seemed to suggest otherwise ?

It's only necessary to think this way as a method of loosening the ego, to destabilise and doubt perceptual reality. To make a perfect tool we must first chip away all the impurities.

The tool is logic, reasoning and rationalisation. It has to be able to detect poor intuition, mysticism, irrationality, error, emotive confusion, ego. It is a reality measuring tool, a qualifier. It says a rope is a rope and not a snake. It determines rope and snake cannot exist in the same space at the same time. A thing is a thing. It applies equally to concepts and determines the plain truth. It is objective only.

Yet it leaves room for all the other qualities such as imagination, empathy, creativity and gives them greater order and potency. For instance it takes empathy, changing it from poorly defined sympathy to a higher order practicality, like taking diffuse light and firing it through a laser. It's power, depth, purity and magnitude are multiplied many times. It doesn't matter what human quality it focuses, it makes them radiant and abundant.

I like what you have written, I felt it necessary to question that one point.

Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2015 :  7:55:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice, Bodhi. Kudos to you. The website is superb.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2015 :  8:58:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Cody, Karl, and all, great discussion.

Great website, Bodhi! Yes, we are all recovering - with yoga we are recovering our humanity. Keep writing, I see some books in the future.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2015 :  11:11:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Blanche

Great website, Bodhi! Yes, we are all recovering - with yoga we are recovering our humanity. Keep writing, I see some books in the future.

Yes! We are all recovering from limited identities, so it's all connected. Thank you for the encouragement, Blanche.

quote:
Originally posted by lalow33

Nice, Bodhi. Kudos to you. The website is superb.

Many thanks, lalow33.

quote:

Things exist prior to consciousness and apart from consciousness. Consciousness does not exist as and of itself. It's a mistake to think otherwise. I noticed you seemed to suggest otherwise ?

It's a matter of perspective. In the blog, I refer to pure bliss consciousness, which from my experience, is the source of all subsidiary phenomena, including all "things". Does pure bliss consciousness exist in and of itself? Probably. But I don't think I would write that in one of my blogs, because it would be too speculative. (In my journal in the poetry section, I am ridiculous and romantic, but on the website, I'm trying to stay somewhat tight. ) In any case, what I can write about--with truth and validity--is my relationship to stillness, and how that bubbles up on a personal level.

Also, what shade of consciousness are you referring to? From my experience, deep dreamless sleep is perhaps most similar to the vastness of pure bliss consciousness, which has a feeling of being completely independent, yet related, to the events of waking and dreaming consciousness.

Yogani has said the nervous system is the doorway to the infinite. He has not written that the nervous system IS the infinite, per se. We massage and purify the delicate circuity of the nervous system so we can access our celestial dimensions, but the delicate circuitry itself cannot be named as the source of all dimensions.

You allude to the process of discernment, which is distinguishing between what is real and what is not, in relation to stillness. From stillness, I can tell the difference between the mountain and sky, the tree and its leaves, the physical brain and the subtle energy pulsing through it. These layers are noticeable, as is the unity of them.

Does this clarify?
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2015 :  08:31:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are saying that you believe everything arises from consciousness that nothing exists except within consciousness.

I'm saying that everything exists despite consciousness. It is not possible to experience consciousness, because consciousness is the platform on which all experience is played out. Consciousness is not the generator of experience. You can consciously experience less or more things depending on the noise inherent in the mind, or the direct perception of the senses. We are always conscious OF something.

This can be a very harsh revelation. It is reality. How do we wake up to reality if we are are creating our own version of reality whilst interacting within a world of solid reality. It is the conflict between what is real and what we think is real that causes the distress. It's when we discover that objective reality does not match our subjective version that we suffer. We blame objective reality for our suffering and retreat back to our the subjective world to avoid it and thereby set up the cycle of suffering.

You know this because it accords exactly with substance abuse. This is the lesson. You cannot avoid objective reality by creating a temporary euphoria. When subjective and objective realities meet the immediate preference is to run towards a greater reliance on the euphoric substance to blot it out.

A couple of months ago I was awakened to objective reality. It was if I had a bucket freezing water thrown over me. I stood gasping, shaking, wincing and cowering in the full glare of it. It did not matter what dark corner I tried to hide in-there were none, I could not retreat and I knew it immediately for what it was. I could no longer make up subjective stories about who I was. No euphoric substance or activity had any power over it. It was neither blissful, nor gentle, it was reality revealed and undeniable. There was no 'aha' moment, it was instead equal parts terrifying and purifying.

You were quite correct when you said I too had been addicted. Addiction to euphoric substances or activities is something fairly easy to spot, but self addiction to subjective reality is infinitely more subtle, well developed and integrated. It looks for all the world to be reality. It exists alongside reality and interacts with it on the same plane .

The phrase came back to me 'you hear the bird song but you never see the bird'. From the perspective of those that hear the birdsong, the bird is indeed invisible to them.

Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2015 :  11:21:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

A couple of months ago I was awakened to objective reality. It was if I had a bucket freezing water thrown over me. I stood gasping, shaking, wincing and cowering in the full glare of it. It did not matter what dark corner I tried to hide in-there were none, I could not retreat and I knew it immediately for what it was. I could no longer make up subjective stories about who I was. No euphoric substance or activity had any power over it. It was neither blissful, nor gentle, it was reality revealed and undeniable. There was no 'aha' moment, it was instead equal parts terrifying and purifying.

What you describe here Karl is IMO the here and now. The only reality that is.
I experienced the same , after this experience it never went as before. You know it and that is it. Period.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2015 :  12:18:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Charliedog

quote:

What you describe here Karl is IMO the here and now. The only reality that is.
I experienced the same , after this experience it never went as before. You know it and that is it. Period.

Yes, that's it. Nothing more to see here, move along undefiled, undiluted reality. I never met it until then, which seems doubly weird when it was right where it had always been all along. The universe made plain as plain can be. Where was it hiding I wonder ?how did I manage to keep it so concealed and most of all, why did I choose it to be that way ? Was it fear, denial ? It's hard to say. Had I ever even glimpsed it I would not know. That I thought it had been found so many times until the time when it finally was then there were no doubts. It could not be other than what it was.

I do know that people I dismissed had tried to point it out, but I kept on believing what I believed and seeing the world through an ego filter. I also know that it is impossible to tell anyone else. I could point, shout and scream but though they might look they would not see anything but my fat, disfigured finger; they would hear nothing but the yammering of an unenlighted lumpen fool who could never understand much beyond the dirt in his fingernails I see that I must begin over, examine every facet of the lies created by the curse I put on myself, but it will be pleasant work for one devoid of the pretence of knowing.

Edited by - karl on Jun 28 2015 12:22:09 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000