AYPsite.org Forum
 Healthcare - Holistic and Modern
 Anyone prone to migraine?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sol Invictus

91 Posts

Posted - May 08 2015 :  01:50:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys!

As a teenage kid i had experienced migraine for the first time.Since then it wasn't that bad.I would get it now and then,like 2-3 times a year.
Then when i started with Sungazing years ago,i was contracting it bit more often than earlier.Somehow i was convinced that increase in frequency of migraine is sadhana related.There would be strong pressure at front side of Agyan and pain was mainly located around fontanel/Sahasrara.
Now after i switched to Kriya,i am getting migraine even more often than before,like once or twice every month.That's not such a big deal,but it did make me wonder about connection between sadhana,movements of Prana due to sadhana and migraine.I am entertaining such thought mainly due to localization of pain/sensation of intense pressure at the front of Agyan and the forehead,Sahasrara,and Bindu(to some extent)

I'm wondering,any of you guys had similar experience?

Edited by - Sol Invictus on May 08 2015 01:53:20 AM

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - May 09 2015 :  12:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sol,

never was prone to migrane, nor did this change much with practices, except some minor cases (once in 1-2 years), but never in intervals like you describe.

If you practice kriya, it is important to remain in paravastha until everythign is smooth. Perhaps you jump off the seat the moment kriya is finished? After everything is done, resting in the aftereffect will remove all tensions.

Now writing to you it feels like I got your migrane :D It has its cause in the past and the flow of prana is forcing the system to transform, obviously in those areas this causes tension. The hint here is, after kriya pranayama sit in its aftereffect for some minutes, then continue with the other practices and at the end, again sit for some (more) minutes. In both cases your body-mind should enter into complete silence inluding mind and breath, in which all the healing needed will happen and the flow will be smooth an nice.

Additional hints, focus more on kriya pranayama and its aftereffect, than yoni mudra and longer ajna meditations until the pressure is gone. Walking in nature, doing physical excercises, doing more maha mudra, all of these will help. It very much feels like some deeper karmic cause. Over time it should solve itself out :)

Peace friend and happy practice! :)
Go to Top of Page

Sol Invictus

91 Posts

Posted - May 09 2015 :  8:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Holy,

Thanks for input!
Yeah,i tend not to rest after sitting.Although,usually after sitting even if i'm doing something it feels like resting,kind of spaced out,detached state.
Will give it a shot,the resting thing.
Is it karmic or not,i'm not sure about it.My mother has migraine,same as few other family members and it is known that it's hereditary thing.
Regards,best!
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - May 10 2015 :  11:05:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sol,

then it is a clear thing. Genetic information is karma and if it affects your family, you would say a collective karma that you share. Some headache causing things have happened and now everyone is suffering from it. Your family can be thankful, that it will find its genetic end in you! ;) The healing will even go back in time.

From Sri Bhupendranath Sanyal:

"In the paravastha of kriya a close investigation of Brahm becomes possible and most surprising experiences are gained. It is an astonishing atmosphere where there is no sun, no moon, no fire, yet there is light. By kriya's practice, those who enter the planetary caves in the kootasth can hear the sweet sound of Om, sung by deities of the sky. The sadhak visits the country of spiritual happiness, and after it the mind gets set on all pervading atma."

"When in the advanced stage of practice, the sadhak's mind (breath) becomes still in the paravastha of kriya, he enters a state that transcends night and day and hears the unstruck sound of Om."

"Paravastha is the state of the real “I.” Beyond all pleasure and pain, it is the state of supreme bliss."

From Lahiri Mahasaya:

"there is no resting in the Supreme Being if Kriya is not done first. The mind will become still on its own, by remaining in Kriya paravastha. When the mind is still, one can vanquish the most powerful destructive desires."

"If one moves the breath [practices Pranayama] always, breath ceases and becomes tranquil, sthira."

"The state of Sthirattva, Tranquility, is called Yoga."

"Having practiced Kriya, one should hold onto the After-effect-poise of Kriya."

"All sins are destroyed at the After-effect-poise of Kriya."

"Avidya, ignorance, is the outward state of mind; Bidya, Knowledge, is the After-effect-poise of Kriya."

Happy practice and complete healing for you and your family friend :D
Go to Top of Page

Sol Invictus

91 Posts

Posted - May 10 2015 :  5:51:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Holy,

Again,thanks for input!
Hmmm,i used to be a headache for my family.Hopefully i'll turn into the cure at the end

In regard Kriyar Parabastha,it is not mere sitting with out thoughts,with empty mind,after Kriya practice.Other term for Parabastha is Nirbikalpa Samadhi.Baba coined term Kriyar Parabastha.It happens when one can still and fix all of his/her Prana in Kutastha,that is according to literature,no personal experience of it for now.Then there is no more I and My.
If you are there already,i'm happy for you!
Some lineages are using term Parabastha for the resting period after Kriya,which is not correct.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - May 11 2015 :  10:52:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sol,

I'm sorry, was not aware of that distinction :) The advice to sit afterwards in silence came from Gurunath, the connections with the quotes were made in that regard.

Just from experience, directly after a set of kriya pranayamas, the moment the last breath is exhaled, the body-mind here enters into a state of breathless mindless silence. If it does not happen instantly afterwards, sitting for 1-2 minutes will make it come so to speak :P The tendency of the pranic and apanic currents to neutralize each other continue, resulting in full silence. In that silence all the healing happens here, every day. It is the best part of the practice so to speak. Again at the end after all other kriyas are done, just sitting makes the body-mind enter into deep silence. When the absorption is over, means when the life-energies start to move outwards again, daily life starts. If one directly jumps off the seat, as one have created a strong tendency for the system to go to silence, one will naturally be spaced out and if the movement is forced, this resistance may cause a headache. For me movement is not really possible directly afterwards. Getting up instantly will result in getting frozen while standing until the thing moves again :P

When the breath stops directly after kriya pranayama, it may come again and then stop again. The moment the breath continues with greater continuity, the main neutralization-tendency is over and the next kriya or life can start.

When the breath and mind stops for a longer time, attention by itself concentrates in the headcenter and looks into kutastha where the eye appears. Depending on the amount of pranayamas, stoppage of the heartbeat and nirvikalpa samadhi should continue in this way, Did Lahiri Mahasaya speak of the full sequence from practice to nirvikalpa samadhi? To my feel this is the sequence.

Hans does not speak of a sequence, he just wrote, that he practiced for hours and suddenly everything came to a stop :P From our samadhi boy I have seen him going into samadhi several times in two ways. One was with a single kriya pranayama with which he woke up kundalini in such intensity, that he directly entered samadhi blissing out the whole room. The other variant was, just by will instantly. Gurunath directly goes into such samadhi, that not only his heart stops, but the whole body dissolves completely :P these guys have done their sadhana well, for both of us there is still some way to go :D

Are you aware of the translators of Lahiri Mahasayas quotes? "Having practiced Kriya, one should hold onto the After-effect-poise of Kriya."

Thanks Sol and peaceful coexistence with your family
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - May 12 2015 :  04:01:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Holy,

Your answer gave me more insight in experiences.
Go to Top of Page

Sol Invictus

91 Posts

Posted - May 12 2015 :  10:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi friend,

no worries.And don't think i'm trying to lecture you.It's just to be factual and precise as Kriya is like that.
You can refer to Purana Purusha or Aryya Gita in regard Kriyar Parabastha.

Yes,i read those quotes.Think at Yoga Niketan site,not sure thou.But in my view definitely best available source of Baba's words is Purana Purusha.
Even for AYP-ers and other people,it is a good read as it helps to understand Prana,hence importance of Pranayama in restraining(Yama) of (dynamic)Prana(=Pranayama) in order to achieve what everyone is looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Donda

Austria
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2016 :  5:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm suffering from migraine since many years, for a long time with about 8 serious attacks per month. Nothing really helped me to reduce the number of attacks (and I tried lot of things), and the only way to get rid from the pain is taking triptans (the pain usually dissappears completely 90 to 150 minutes after taking them). My daily yoga practice also didn't help in this respect until I added nadi shodhana/anuloma viloma to my morning practice last year. Since then the number of severe attacks (where I need to take triptans) is reduced by at least 50%; I have a good feeling that it's lasting effect.(Before theat, I only practiced occasionlly a much simplified version of nadi shodhana, I noticed that it helped me sometime in reducing the beginning pain so I decided to learn it).
I'm practicing in this rhythm: 2/2/4/2 for breathing in through the left nostril/hold the breath/breathing out through the right nostril/hold and then breathing in through the right nostril and so on. I guesss it wouldn't help me if it would be exhausting to hold the breath so I guess if it's exhausting it's better to start practicing without holding the breath (like I did in the beginning).
My morning practice now consists of Jala Neti, Om chanting, Surya Namaskar, some short exercises for the neck, Nadi Shodhana, Brahmari Pranayama, some minutes relaxing, Om chanting again, together about 40 minutes (I've learned these practices in yoga curses). I do the rest of my practice including spinal breathing in the evening.

Edited by - Donda on Jul 25 2016 5:22:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2016 :  04:09:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Donda,

Welcome to these AYP forums. Good to hear that your practice helps you reduce your migraine. Do you also have a DM practice? Deep meditation practice can give you more benefits and it sounds that you have a good fundament to start with it (if you did not already)
You can read all about Advanced Yoga Practices in the lessons of Yogani in the left menu.

Go to Top of Page

Donda

Austria
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2016 :  1:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Charliedog,
thank you. I know this site for some years. Originally practicing vipassana meditation, i took the other way round then many others, first meditation (mindfulness based and japa), than spinal breathing/bandhas/kriyas and finally asanas ;-) I just noticed that intense focusing on the eye brow center (as well as on ajna chakra or on bindu on the back of the head) worsened my proneness to migraine, and that Nadi Shodhana works as a balancing practice and better - although it also involves focusing on the eyebrow center when the inhalation is complete (the combination with Jala Neti and Brahmari probably add to the positive effect); of course I don't know if it would work for others, but maybe someone can use it as a hint what to try.

Edited by - Donda on Jul 26 2016 2:24:24 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000