Healthcare - Holistic and Modern
 toothpaste and dish washing soap
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2015 :  03:23:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello :-)
In the last few weeks, I suddenly felt I need to change all the shampoos, handcream etc...and use brands that are paraben free, organic, less chemicals etc....
this was easy to find...
regarding toothpaste, I found a brand made in India called Messwak and it's fluoride free.But i am reading mixed reviews.Does anyone know about this brand? Any suggestion?
Also dishwashing soap labeled eco seems to be the same sh*t like any other product. As for brands at health food shops, who knows if they are selling you less stuff with chemicals or not.
Any suggestions?

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2015 :  06:47:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Maha

I can't say anything about Messwak, but there is a very good way to clean your teeth without toothpaste:
1. There is an ayurvedic practice called oil pulling - you take a mouthful of oil and keep it/move it around your mouth for a few minutes, then spit it out.
2. Sprinkle table salt on a toothbrush and clean your teeth with it.
I do this every morning (well, almost) and I've never needed to see a hygienist. My dentist always tells me 'you clean your teeth very well'
In the evening I do use a fluoride toothpaste (as there is evidence it strengthens tooth enamel)

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Mar 25 2015 1:04:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2015 :  12:44:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello BRC
you do know some tricks , dont you
i am amazed
what kind of oil?
ps.Meswak comes from the following plant: Salvadora persica of the family Salvadoraceae, is an evergreen shrub
it is used also a lot in some arab countries

Edited by - maheswari on Mar 25 2015 12:58:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2015 :  12:59:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Any oil you have in your kitchen cupboard will do the job just as well. I tend to use the cheaper of what I have available, since it goes down the drain.

I've not heard of Salvadora persica before, seems a very interesting plant. It even contains some fluoride according to Wikipedia.

I'm interested in skin care and toiletries because my skin is sensitive - doesn't put up with nonsense. It is very healthy if left alone, but I've learnt to avoid surfactants to a good extent. I don't use emulsified creams (except sunscreens because I have no choice there). I use soap for washing my hands, but for baths and showers I use Moroccan soap clay. You might want to check that one out too. Leaves your hair nice and glossy.

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Mar 25 2015 1:36:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2015 :  1:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ok i googled it, and the advice is to not spit it in the sink cause with time it will clog the pipes , better to spit it in the trash or the grass if you have a backyard
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2015 :  1:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, that's interesting, I never even thought about it.
Haven't had problems with the drains either, maybe because I use mostly sunflower oil which only turns solid at 17 centigrade and we don't get that sort of cold here.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2015 :  1:40:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
see i have good tricks too
Go to Top of Page

technoyogi

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2015 :  2:02:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit technoyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good call on the oil pulling BR. I do not do it that often anymore but I really liked doing it with extra virgin coconut oil. It tasted better than other oils and coconut oil is a powerful antifungal as well.

These days I like brushing my teeth with green clay powder in addition to a flouride free toothpaste. The clay is a natural detoxing agent, and the abrasive aspect actually polishes my teeth. They have never been so white and shiny as a result. It is like that feeling after going to the dentist where they put that stuff on to polish your teeth, same principle.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2015 :  8:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maheswari,

funnily I bought the same(?) Indian Dabur Meswak toothpaste a week ago, will give it a try when the current very good ayurvedic toothpaste with xylit and calcium is empty :P

But I already read that one component (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate) is not so nice, therefore it will only be a temporary stay.

The synchronicity continues (=

Happy practice to all :)
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2015 :  02:57:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Holy
Go to Top of Page

Mykal K

Germany
266 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  3:23:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Vinegar.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2015 :  10:48:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Today at a health food store I found an ayurvedic toothpaste (Supirivicky)....this one seems the best choice so far
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2015 :  4:14:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been very happy with simple baking soda; look at this smile!
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2015 :  5:18:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing Hollywood gnashes! Now we know what you do for a living Dogboy
Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2015 :  7:12:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I find the Himalaya brand of toothpaste very clean. I also like Weleda Salt toothpaste. It is one of the few that doesn't make me gag . Sometimes I'll add a little baking soda to the brush.
You've got me inspired to start oil pulling again! I heard sesame oil was the most effective but I also used sunflower. I had trouble oil pulling as I'm a real gagger. Not fun. I was having trouble keeping it in my mouth more than a minute. as far as the spitting goes I was using the toilet.

Edited by - Prem on Apr 07 2015 8:28:23 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000