Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Clarification -- Amrita?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cate

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2015 :  12:25:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Greetings All :-)

I have spent some time searching and reading AYP for information on amrita to ascertain if what I am experiencing is the soma-amrita cycle. It is not sweet and it is not minty, and I don’t get intoxicated, which is why I wonder if it might be something else.

When I do Om mantra practice, usually by the 3rd Om, as the vibration of my voice travels up and out over my tongue, there is a sudden flash of flavor and then a settling in of a taste that I can only describe as pure mountain spring water. I mean the kind of water you drink directly out of the ground that is so pure it needs no filtering. I tasted this as a kid in the mountains and was so stunned by the perfection of it that the memory has stayed with me to this day over 40 years later, and it is the closest description of what I taste.

I noticed that the incidents of this taste are happening more frequently now – when thinking higher thoughts, when silently thinking of Om or doing I-am deep meditation, when feeling love or compassion or when doing my stretching exercises. Then I noticed it was happening when I ate food. Within minutes, often while still consuming my meal, the taste appeared on my tongue. And then I noticed it would also be triggered when doing pranayama – whether SBP, bastrika, etc.

The taste does not make me intoxicated, but it does seem to have a subtle calming effect that makes me feel peaceful, and sometimes when it is strong (on very rare occasions there is a spike in intense taste), I get a little giddy with laughter. Rarely do I get the sensation of anything dripping down the back of my throat, but it does happen once in a while, although I attributed that to perhaps some post nasal drip or other physical reason. The taste has never varied to anything even remotely sweet or minty as so many people have reported. It simply vacillates between a subtle pure water taste and a strong pure water taste. Nor do I get the fragrance of flowers or anything sweet smelling as some people have also reported.

In addition, frequently both day and night, in and out of meditation, I feel the presence of energy from lower back to the back of my head or the crown (most prominent on the back from heart area to back of head), which is now almost constant, and less frequently, a buzzing at Ajna chakra.

Is this the soma-amrita cycle? If so, why doesn’t mine taste sweet and minty like so many other people report? And shouldn’t I be smelling sweet fragrances? Or having gurgling in my digestive tract (which I do get, but infrequently). If it is not the soma-amrita cycle, can anyone offer some ideas as to what it might be?

Thank you and namasté __/\__

Cate

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2015 :  12:19:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds wonderful and like amrita to me, regardless of how you experience the taste. :)
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2015 :  5:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, purity is a good symptom. Is the taste part of your saliva?...because that's what amrita does...it mixes with the saliva...dripping down from the nasal passage then getting swallowed (often not noticed). Does your tongue go upwards and back (kechari mudra)? In the advanced stages, kechari can stimulate the drip directly, kind of like massaging a pump.

Sounds like some lovely scenery. The buzzing is definitely purification and opening. I've had plenty of that. Also, re: the sweetness or minty taste, for me, it's more subtle and effervescent than what is externally characterized as sweet or minty (like sugar or the actual herb of mint). It's more like a distilled essence that feels and tastes totally intrinsic and self-produced, so your description of the purest mountain spring water probably reflects amrita's intrinsic purity.
Go to Top of Page

Cate

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2015 :  9:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by LittleTurtle

Sounds wonderful and like amrita to me, regardless of how you experience the taste. :)

Thank you, Little Turtle. I had to chuckle, because I guess the bottom line is that you are right! It is indeed pleasant and I have no complaints. Mine is just a curiosity to identify these symptoms accurately.

Namasté

Cate
Go to Top of Page

Cate

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2015 :  10:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree

Well, purity is a good symptom. Is the taste part of your saliva?...because that's what amrita does...it mixes with the saliva...dripping down from the nasal passage then getting swallowed (often not noticed). Does your tongue go upwards and back (kechari mudra)? In the advanced stages, kechari can stimulate the drip directly, kind of like massaging a pump.

Sounds like some lovely scenery. The buzzing is definitely purification and opening. I've had plenty of that. Also, re: the sweetness or minty taste, for me, it's more subtle and effervescent than what is externally characterized as sweet or minty (like sugar or the actual herb of mint). It's more like a distilled essence that feels and tastes totally intrinsic and self-produced, so your description of the purest mountain spring water probably reflects amrita's intrinsic purity.

Hi Bodi Tree,

I'm not sure if the taste is part of my saliva. It is more like I am tasting a vibration. When I chant OM particularly, the vibration comes up my spine from below and as the sound waves surge over my tongue to exit my mouth, I can literally feel and taste the energy vibrations. I know it sounds odd...but there it is, and the taste is so pure, like that special water I mentioned.

I am familiar with kechari from AYP, but no, my tongue does not automatically seek kechari position, although when I put it in that position and do my mantra practice silently, I still get the taste of the vibrations.

I like your description of it being more subtle and effervescent -- yes!! Never have I had the sweet sugary taste that others describe, but this purity is of a sweetness all the same, of a different kind. I just don't know if it's actually the soma-amrita cycle or if it's something else entirely, since some of the symptoms of taste do not match what is commonly experienced.

Thank you, and Namasté

Cate
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000