Bhakti and Karma Yoga
 Paganism
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jefftos

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2015 :  2:41:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've been doing Ayp for about three years on and off now. I seriously overloaded myself about a year ago and had to back off on my practices completely until now. So I've been slowly restarting my practices from the ground up, albeit much more slowly this time around. I've been reading the forums a lot and I was just wondering if anyone else around here was a pagan? I see a lot of devotees to Krishna, Christ, and so on and that is lovely. But these gods have never called to me really except for maybe Christ early on in my spiritual development. My Ishta or I suppose Ishatas are Odin, who for me symbolizes wisdom and truth and Freya who symbolizes an ecstatic form of love. I've a little altar for them in my den where I do my yoga practices, give offerings, give prayers and so on. In any case I was just curious to know if anyone else had an affinity for gods outside of the Abrahamic and Dharmic religions, any one worship the Hellinic gods for example or the Egyptian gods, anyone into Druidry? And how they go about mixing the gods with the yogi path?

For myself I have found it surprisingly easy. Norse Polytheism is generally more focused on more down to earth matters such as ones stance in their community and how well one plays the cards he or she is dealt by things like luck (accumulated karma through ones physical family) and wyrd (ones individual fate). I suppose it is very much more into the karma yoga and bhatki yoga in the form of occasional offerings to the gods and good conduct in ones immediate community. However it is very lacking in spiritual development in terms of meditation and self inquiry. Although admittedly some are within the Heathen community are attempting to remedy that. Anyway I know we are all just fellow travelers regardless of what gods we do or do not follow. I'm just curious if anyone else is in a similar situation to my own?

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2015 :  4:54:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jefftos welcome to the Forum.

Good luck with your smoother practices efforts.

You forgot to mention the most popular god of all. Our egos. At least mine for sure. I'm into the regular Christian and Hindu Gods as my Ishtas but you got me thinking about how much I really think of my personality as my god so much. Eeek!

One saint I admire devotionaly said God had to think of each one of us and nothing else once for us to exist.

Whatever motivates us to keep practicing daily I guess is good. Even if we practice to approach our Ishta and cuss 'em out.

Take care!
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2015 :  5:41:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a little stretch, but I have something kind of relevant to share.

I've been finding inspiration (which is the source of worship) in archetypal characters. You may be aware of Joseph Campbell, who was a scholar of mythology, and like Carl Jung, he realized that the heroes of these various stories were essentially the same--at their core. True, there are different personalities and virtues, but they all distill into the hero with a thousand faces.

I find strength and empowerment in cinematic characters. For instance, consider the character Eric Liddell in the film Chariots of Fire. He was a real historical person, and the movie portrayed him with such stellar aliveness that, for me, watching certain scenes evokes bursts of ecstasy and compels me to strive for greatness.

Fictional characters also stir the devotional embers within. Sherlock Holmes, for his methodical and brilliant way of unraveling mysteries. Huckleberry Finn, for taking risks of adventure and freedom. John Wilder, for his spiritual effort and love of the divine feminine.

So, in some sense, I am polytheistic, because I could never confine my focus to one personality alone (like Jesus). However, I do try to pick some favorites, because depth and progress are only achieved through consistency and persistence. Cursory glances and obsession with novelty don't yield much in the long run.

But drawing from characters of fiction may be in a different ballpark than trying to commune with cosmic beings. I'm quite familiar and confident with the former; the latter is daunting and murky in comparison. Intuitively, I try to rely on what I can handle. There's no fun in getting burned by overreaching (hence the need for self-pacing).

Thank you for the topic, and I would be interested to read more about how you perceive and/or are inspired by your ishtas.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2015 :  5:47:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome back, Jefftos.

My great grandfather was Norwegian; I believe my Norse ancestry drew me to runes over thirty years ago. For many years I use them as an oracle in all fun and seriousness, and amazed how often the reading resonates deeply. It's as if it taps into a vein of my subconscious, as if I too am of the stone.

Yoga resonates with me in the same manner yet is geographically and spiritually Alien to my Northern European roots. For me there is no chasm. My runes sit proudly amongst all my other talismans of my yoga altar; together they bring me closer to homecoming.
Go to Top of Page

Jefftos

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2015 :  6:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for posting:

Bill: How could I ever forget the ego? Also I've some experience with cussing out my Ishta's ego or otherwise. I actually find it quite healthy to be able to get frustrated at them from time to time. If I remember correctly I think in Judaism there are many references to wrestling with God and it being portrayed as a very important part of spiritual growth.

Bodhi: I am familiar with Joseph Campbell. In fact he is a favorite author of mine. I find myself overwhelmed with desire to read more mythology when I read him. I understand what you mean about fictional characters and I think you are actually quite right when you compare it to venerating divine entities. Besides most of what we have are stories to go on anyway. When I read about Odin hanging on a tree to discover the mysteries of the runes I am filled with a hope that I could only be so devoted to the cause of my own spiritual growth. Of course not by literally hanging from a tree or gauging my eye out but to mimic the fiery devotion that Odin shows to his cause of gaining wisdom. I suppose one might also be able to read The Lord of the Rings and be inspired by the devotion that Samwise has towards Frodo and his complete devotion to the cause of sending the ring to mount doom in the same way.

Dogboy: I understand that feeling. For me they seem to go hand in hand with much ease. I've never gotten too much into the divination end of the runes, but I have dabbled. When I have dabbled I have been surprised at how accurate the readings turn out to be.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2015 :  7:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jefftos

When I read about Odin hanging on a tree to discover the mysteries of the runes I am filled with a hope that I could only be so devoted to the cause of my own spiritual growth. Of course not by literally hanging from a tree or gauging my eye out but to mimic the fiery devotion that Odin shows to his cause of gaining wisdom

Nice! My sentiments exactly. Very solid devotional logic.
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2015 :  03:20:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jefftos, I'm fond of Baldr.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000