AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 End of practices?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2014 :  07:36:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Do experienced yogi's stop practicing meditation and spinal breathing, etc once they have transcended identification with the body, or do they continue the practices (asanas, SBP, DM, etc)?

I imagine it might be difficult to continue body based practices if one sees that the body is impermanent, and the "I" is apart from the body? But then again they might enjoy the lightness and bliss that the practices bring, so may continue with it. Maybe each yogi is different...........

What do you think?

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2014 :  08:55:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
After "the end of suffering", until bodily death, such practices continue for the benefit of humanity -- outpouring of divine love.

Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2014 :  10:20:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are no realized yogis. They are a myth constructed around the lives of intelligent and uncompromising men. No need to compare ourselves to fictions.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2014 :  10:49:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
... as for me, I still suffer.

Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2014 :  12:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoy dropping into silence. Can't imagine anything interrupting that!
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1537 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2014 :  12:13:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani recommends never to stop practicing especially after you think you have "made it"; you are there.

What I can say from a brief period of experience - you move from practicing with your physical body to practicing with your subtle body, so I am assuming you move up to practicing with your other bodies as you grow in frequency. I'm just speculating here.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2014 :  02:17:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that's a great question, and one of the best metaphors that has helped me understand the function of practices is that of a light bulb that shines at varying degrees of wattage. Meditation and samyama can allow me to go from 50 to 75 watts, and I think the only ceiling in terms of maximum capacity would be based on personal comfort and preference.

So I suppose the question is: how brightly do you want to shine?
Go to Top of Page

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2014 :  08:07:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Really helpful replies - thank you all.

Regarding the light bulb metaphor, I think the reason I had the Q is because, as our practice progresses over time, we become efficient at increasing that wattage, so that we're now able to increase from 50 to 75 with three conscious breaths, perhaps in a busy environment, whereas compared to a few years back, the same increase would have been possible only after a long, focused practice in a calm environment.

So now we can shine brightly after a little practice. For shining brightly though we have to rearrange our lives and our psyche, thoughts, intentions, etc. So this is where self pacing comes in, so we don't.... burn up from going too fast. I got it, at last

(reflecting, that's been my problem, that I've increased the wattage without being suitable for the new energy, because I couldn't forgive. Hopefully that's changed now, but I don't know..)
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2014 :  08:32:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly! Self-pacing = less friction. Better to dissolve obstructions gradually than to abrasively rip them out. A matter of finesse. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2014 :  09:30:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by joseph

Really helpful replies - thank you all.

Regarding the light bulb metaphor, I think the reason I had the Q is because, as our practice progresses over time, we become efficient at increasing that wattage, so that we're now able to increase from 50 to 75 with three conscious breaths, perhaps in a busy environment, whereas compared to a few years back, the same increase would have been possible only after a long, focused practice in a calm environment.

So now we can shine brightly after a little practice. For shining brightly though we have to rearrange our lives and our psyche, thoughts, intentions, etc. So this is where self pacing comes in, so we don't.... burn up from going too fast. I got it, at last

(reflecting, that's been my problem, that I've increased the wattage without being suitable for the new energy, because I couldn't forgive. Hopefully that's changed now, but I don't know..)

Hi Joseph,

I agree with most of your post except the part about shinging brightly involving rearranging our lives, psyche, thoughts, intentions, etc.

Can you explain? I may be misinterpretating your post.
Go to Top of Page

NoDogma

USA
123 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2014 :  2:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bodhi Tree and Joseph,

is the light bulb for you to improve clarity (and see more clearly) or for others to see your light ?
Go to Top of Page

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2014 :  2:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey lalow, yes, I was thinking that there needs to be the absence of everything that's incompatible with the new energy (resentment, pride, etc), otherwise we're constantly fighting ourselves and it becomes exhausting, like running in one direction and at the same time being pulled in another.

or to carry on the light bulb analogy; what's the point in increasing the power of the light if the bulb is coated in black paint. Best to scrape the paint away first.

Go to Top of Page

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2014 :  2:17:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
What I can say from a brief period of experience - you move from practicing with your physical body to practicing with your subtle body, so I am assuming you move up to practicing with your other bodies as you grow in frequency. I'm just speculating here.

This is really interesting - we can carry on the practice but it becomes increasingly more about the subtle body. Like the sound of that
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2014 :  4:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great yogis of the himalyas required less and less sleep as their nervous system had become purified. Many of them have transitioned into the next world sitting in their yoga pose. No telling what the case will be with AYP, though!
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2014 :  4:28:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
we have many rebirths to practice and many universes to practice in .
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2014 :  07:11:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All,

After reading Dr. Michael Newton's Journey of Souls, I have come to the conclusion that Self-Realization or Liberation, etc., which essentially to me means, no need to re-incarnate,does not happen until we become perfect human beings, and this happens either after leading countless "normal" lives, or (hopefully) excelling in "Yoga", that includes Karma Yoga, Gnyana Yoga, Bhakthi Yoga and Raja Yoga). Very few humans in the last thousands of years have achieved this through Yoga.
So, even though I have a very aggressive and robust AYP twice a day (for years now), I am not fooling myself into thinking dramatic real progress is going to happen in any life soon.
I would urge every AYPer to read this book. You will not regret it.Yogani also believes it is "ground breaking" !
Krish
Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2014 :  09:45:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by krcqimpro1

...So, even though I have a very aggressive and robust AYP twice a day (for years now), I am not fooling myself into thinking dramatic real progress is going to happen in any life soon..

faith itself is quite a powerful thing. theres no reason why it cant be accomplished in this life. i'm sure there are people here who can drop their bodies whenever theyre willing.
Go to Top of Page

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2014 :  10:20:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the recommendation, krc. Just added that to my list of books to read.

There is however about 15 on it already

NoDogma, I don't know which but I'd say both, though the latter is maybe more important(?)
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2014 :  8:28:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by NoDogma

Bodhi Tree and Joseph,

is the light bulb for you to improve clarity (and see more clearly) or for others to see your light ?

Without a doubt, both. Thank you for clarifying my clarity.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000